đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

FORBES: Things Really Aren't Going Well For Katy Perry This Time Around

Brie Candy

Featured Posts

shame
36 minutes ago, Perfectionist32 said:

What if next she makes an album with a different genre of music. My mind would be blown alway if it did happen and her image is much more simple.

inb4 Katy Hudson Act II

ha iconic return to christian rock :emma:

angels forever, forever angels

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perfect ionist
3 minutes ago, TheShameMonster said:

inb4 Katy Hudson Act II

ha iconic return to christian rock :emma:

lmfao

Ricardo

everyone has an peak point and Katy already met it, here comes the downfall 

Kermit
57 minutes ago, Bloody Grammys said:

Pop divas are going extinct

good

maybe the rest of pop will go with it

“For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” ― Jean Dubuffet

That J

Every pop lady in history has this moment.  It's all just a little bit of history repeating...

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

ThatAsianGuy

I feel bad for ha. Without them number 1s what will she be known for?:giggle:

StrawberryBlond

For Forbes to make this article is HUGE. Katy was once the cover star of their annual "Biggest Celebrity Earners" issue because she was #1, she'd made more money that year than any other musician, including Taylor, Beyonce and Gaga (unthinkable now, isn't it?) She wore a suit decorated with dollar signs and even said that she'd heard how other women had refused the front cover before because they didn't want to be seen as too much of a boss and therefore pushy and bitchy. She said she loves the role of being a boss and wanted to "grab it by the balls." So, for the same magazine, one of the most famous and respected business magazines in the world, to make a piece that brings her right down and points out all her failures...this must be really sad for her to read. It's amazing how your fortunes can change drastically in just a few short years.

Before Gaga had her AP downfall (and even to a certain extent, with BTW as well), I never fully understood how an artist's success can downturn so suddenly. But after all that mess, it caused me to research celebrity culture and pick up on past history and past patterns to form a complete story. That's why I can put down so many facts about so many pop acts because I've researched them all and know their complete stories, the ups and downs. I can now predict events in celebrity culture and while I still have plenty of surprises, I am repeatedly getting predictions right about the success or failure a song or album will have. I predicted Katy's fate this era almost exactly right, the only thing I got wrong was the second single's performance - even I didn't think it would do that bad. But so far, I've got it right. I said the lead single would go top 5 but not #1, she wouldn't have any #1's this era (from America, that is), she'd struggle to get multiple top tens and that her tour would be a lot smaller and pull in less than $100 million. And because I've already predicted all this and was expecting it for quite some time, I'm surprised when some people are so shocked by her downfall. For me, the writing's been on the wall since early 2014 when she struggled to get top tens with fun pop songs. Unconditionally stopped her run of US top tens that she had since 2009 and ever since, its been a stop and start. Every hit that she gets is immediately undercut by a flop immediately afterwards. Out of the last 7 songs she's released (Unconditionally up to and including Bon Appetit), only 2 of them have hit top ten in the US. That's a big problem considering that getting #1's used to be child's play to her.

14 hours ago, Batwings said:

Here's a theory I'm going to throw out there in regards to this fanbase and Katy Perry:

I don't think it's so much that a lot of people on GGD legitimately hate Katy. It has more to do with the fact that throughout their careers, it's seemed like Katy and Gaga have inadvertently always found themselves in competition with one another with Katy always seeming to come out on top with sales, streaming, charts, and general overall popularity. This is really the first time we've seen Katy stumble to quite this extent, and I think a few Gaga fans probably feel a bit of vindication in that.

That being said, it's pretty obvious that the media is starting to treat Katy the same way they treated Gaga during the ARTPOP era, and I really hope that Gaga fans aren't as malicious about it as other fanbases were when Gaga was the subject of the media's ire. 

That is very true. Because they were launched in the same year, competition has been inevitable. Gaga only upset the order of albums when she released TFM the very next year whereas Katy waited 2 years to make TD. That's why she's got less albums than Gaga and why they're competing one era behind. I was so glad when Gaga released in October and Katy just took her time. I was getting sick of the constant simultaneous competition. And it is indeed a bit of vindication for the troublesome time we had to put up with for when Katy was up and Gaga was down. Suddenly, her fans are in our shoes and realise how wrong they were to be so hard on Gaga. Pardon the pun but, until it happens to you, you don't know how much it hurts. I hope this will humble Katy's fans and they'll stop being so insufferable. When they were filling up ATRL with meltdowns over Katy's chart performance with stuff like: "Even Gaga didn't flop this bad" and "Karma's getting us back for laughing at Gaga," it was like Christmas morning. Gaga's been seen as the poster girl for flopping ever since AP which has always annoyed me as there has obviously been far worse flop performances in pop history but she was hailed as the current one, even when there were others performing worse at the current moment. Finally, AP might stop being held up as a flop and people will look back on it and be like: "Actually, we were way too harsh on this album, it did just fine for its time."

It's the having success with bad music that gets to me the most. I would be fine with Katy having success in the music were any good. I liked TD, I even bought it. But Prism was awful and did not deserve success, that's why I became so bitter about it. So, this album is potentially going to make up for the undeserved success of Prism. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't wish any genuine ill towards Katy. I don't want her to fall into a deep depression like Gaga did and I certainly don't wish a full-on Britney breakdown upon her. If she went down the route, I'd feel sorry for her. All I'm asking is for her ego to take a bit of a knock. It might actually make her release decent music because some artists release their best music after flopping. It brings out your drive, your fire, your true artist within. It'll humble her, it'll humble her fans and then this whole Gaga vs. Katy thing might die.

14 hours ago, doppelganger said:

Initially thought that Witness is her ARTPOP but it seems more and more like Glitter. Some similarities:

1. The media is savage on Katy (I don't remember ARTPOP being this bad)

2. A single that peaked high (CTTR: 4, Loverboy: 2) but still considered a flop

3. Katy's museum "art piece" is just as cringeworthy as Mariah handing ice cream at TRL

4. Both Katy and Mariah had astronomical success up to the point, and didn't know how to handle their first flop. I think Katy is more emotionally stable though.

I thought the same way. Nothing but success makes the mere idea of the opposite unthinkable. For Gaga to get her first downfall before she'd even left her 20's was real character-building. But Katy is only just experiencing this whole flopping idea at the age of 32. Most artists have flopped before that age. But Katy was in an usually comfortable spot until now. I have no doubt that she thought at this point that her success was just going to continue, as the lyrics of Swish Swish prove. Mariah was also 32 when she had her flop. Too advanced an age to know how to deal with one's first failure, basically. Madonna was also about the same age when she released her (at the time) biggest flop, Erotica. Both of them were a decade into their career. Katy is almost a decade into her career as well, so a flop was inevitable.

sipthistea

I think KP has failed to establish herself as a type of artist who has something unique to offer. I feel that she's not being truly honest about who she is, and what she wants to be (as an artist). Her megahits worked for a while with the general audience, but people just moved on this time.

Arcanum

She can always have a chance in stand up comedy or presenting the summer collections of H&M. :reductive:

But, honestly, we should think about waiting a while. Remember when Rihanna released Rated R back in the day? They said it was a flop in the beginning until this:

tumblr_lognf33Yme1qjaa0mo1_500.gif

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

Arcanum
28 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I can now predict events in celebrity culture and while I still have plenty of surprises, I am repeatedly getting predictions right about the success or failure a song or album will have.

Though huge text, you nail it.

What are your predictions about Gaga from now on? :oprah:

I'm very interested in your research:blush:

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

Emvee

This is nothing compared to the straight up offensive **** some of the media wrote about Gaga in 2013. They wanted to see Gaga fail, whereas here they don't really care, they're just reporting the flop. 

StrawberryBlond
4 minutes ago, Arcanum said:

Though huge text, you nail it.

What are your predictions about Gaga from now on? :oprah:

I'm very interested in your research:blush:

Gaga is a difficult one to crack because we don't know what she's going to do from album to album. She never does the same thing twice, so it means we can't say stuff like "this style has proven successful for her on multiple occasions." And with Joanne, she's not even promoting it and releasing videos in the same way she used to, she doesn't even have a third single out. It makes it very hard to tell what her future plans are. And when MR suddenly becomes successful after the SB against all the odds, it takes you aback. And then she releases a new song and it starts making her more of a streaming success out of nowhere. But with the next album, I think she totally has it in her for a similar performance, she's guaranteed another top ten for sure. ASIB is going to help interest increase in her music once again. It's just going to have to take a while to get a handle on this. Gaga is too unpredictable an artist to even contemplate what she's planning next. No one expected a country tinged album and a stripped back image so who knows what she'll do next? My predictions really start when lead singles come out, so we'll have to wait.

But on the whole, females are easier to predict. Men are difficult because they can have unexpected comebacks and you can be surprised at how loyal their female fanbase still is. No one predicted Bieber's comeback, he had all the signs of a teen sensation whose time was up. But men are like that. The public's so much kinder to them, more likely to make them re-peak, they're never truly bored of them. Female fanbases are so loyal and they can hold on for years. Women just don't have that, unfortunately.

18 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

But on the whole, females are easier to predict. Men are difficult because they can have unexpected comebacks and you can be surprised at how loyal their female fanbase still is. No one predicted Bieber's comeback, he had all the signs of a teen sensation whose time was up. But men are like that. The public's so much kinder to them, more likely to make them re-peak, they're never truly bored of them. Female fanbases are so loyal and they can hold on for years. Women just don't have that, unfortunately.

^This
I feel like media & people in general try to tear down female artists, whereas male artists can get away with basically anything...

Archived