💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

A History of Britney/Avril Relationship

JohnWayne23

Featured Posts

JohnWayne23

From late 1998 to late 2001, Britney Spears ruled the pop world. Her albums sold more than any other female artist at the time. But when her third album came out in 2001, it didn't perform as great as her previous albums. (the era was also sabotaged by Clear Channel)

It was shortly after that time that a new pop girl, Avril Lavigne, came onto the scene. 

Avril was quickly called the "anti-Britney Spears" 

And Avril became quite vocal about her distaste for Britney

Entertainment Weekly wrote in 2002,

Ciao, Britney! Skanks — er, thanks — for the memories, Christina. How were you to know that, come the end of 2002, the girls of America would no longer be lowering their necklines in homage to you but, instead, learning how to knot a necktie? 

Thanks to Avril Lavigne, the 18-year-old Canadian whose Let Go is the hottest debut album of 2002, butt cheeks, dance beats, and gleeful artifice are suddenly out, while tank tops, rock, and ”real” are unexpectedly back in.

In April of 2002 Avril said this about Britney:

"I mean, the way she dresses — would you walk around the street in a ****in' bra?" she asks rhetorically. "I'm not trying to dis anyone, but with me, the clothes I wear onstage are the clothes I would wear to school or go shopping. I'm not gonna go up onstage and dress different. Britney Spears goes up onstage and dresses like a showgirl. She's not being herself up there because she's dancing like a ho. Is she ho? She says she's a virgin. Y'know, it's just not clicking. She's doing one thing and saying another thing, y'know? It's definitely not what I'm going to do."

Avril on TRL in 2002

In 2003 she was interviewed about the Anti-Britney tag:

In a 2003 W Magazine interview, Britney fired back at Avril

"Avril doesn't really dance, but whatever. It's weird. My third album sold as much as her first one, which is very funny to me because everyone thought it didn't do that great."

In June of 2004 Avril said:

“I’ve totally lost respect for her, and I think a lot of people have. She’s gone too far."

In 2007 Avril slammed Britney for doing things for attention and playing the poor pop-idol card. 

"She has paparazzi at her house every day. Then she does things that are crazy, so everyone talks about it."

But things seemed to have really changed between the two and they support each other now.

In 2008 Avril Lavigne defended Britney Spears in an interview

"No one else has it as hard as Britney," she told the magazine. "I feel bad for her. How does she even think with all those flashbulbs? When I'm being followed, everything's thrown off. They run red lights. They cause accidents. She can't even walk to her car. F---ing stalkers."

In a 2011 interview Avril reflected on her early years saying:

"In the beginning some people expected me to be like Britney (Spears) and Christina (Aguilera) and take my clothes off, but I was never going to strip for anyone."

Britney tweeted in 2015:

In 2016, Avril attended Britney's Vegas show and sent Britney some love and the two meet up 

Never really knew about the bad blood between Britney and Avril. 

DelusionalGaga

I don't understand how anyone can hate Britney. I mean she's so sweet :unicorn:

giphy.gif

Anderson123

They were just getting started, same with Pink, she was also the "Anti-Britney/Christina" and the media loved that. I find it funny because I loved Avril's music so much (Let Go and Under My Skin) but she later became what she always said she hated. Working with Dr. Luke really messed up her image.

It's nice to see both of them together supporting each other now. That's how it should be.

Ricardo

Avril was like 18 yrs old when she made the hateful comments, what could we have expected :toofunny: 

weed
32 minutes ago, JohnWayne23 said:

In a 2003 W Magazine interview, Britney fired back at Avril

"Avril doesn't really dance, but whatever. It's weird. My third album sold as much as her first one, which is very funny to me because everyone thought it didn't do that great."

C4grTVpVMAELaWC.jpg

I didn't know Britney was so savage 

edit: also giving me ARTPOP teas.... Gaga's sales criticized yet compared to others they're not bad sales 

Gosh I remember the "I hate Avril Lavigne" and "I hate Britney Spears" blogs where people would dedicate all of their time to hating them, it was so funny. I used to be an Avril hater for that reason but when she also became a "ho" I started loving her :diane:

RAMROD

Well if you are in teenage years now, I can understand why you didn't catch on with the dramas since you were too young back then. So it is not your fault tbh :sis:

Avril and some other chicks were labeled as Anti Britney Generation when they came up with their debut, which funny to me now, came out about in the same time. There were Avril, Michelle Branch, Norah Jones and Vanessa Carlton. And media were so into them that they pitted them against the slutty pop girls like Nritney and Xtine. Out of the four Avril was the most vocal about this. But she was a teenager, you see, and teens in general do stupid things. So she ran her mouth and that shameful attitude became a part of history. 

But Avril was having called out herself by Kelly Osbourne, calling Avril as poser with those try hard skater chic fashion and attitude, during this time, the revolutionary reality show of her family, The Osbournes, were a big hit, and she was trying to make a career out of it by singing a song for its soundtrack, that embarassing cover pop punk rock version of Papa Don't Preach. So naturally her main.rival is Avril and she was tarheting Avril a lot before her feud wuth XTine started. Also, p.s, P!nk was once made her cried as well cos she heard Kelly disses her on magazine but then.on a backstage of a show, they met, and she wanted to have P!NK's autograph and a picture with her, which ofc P!NK refused to, but did it anyway cos she can't see her sobbing. :giggle:

And this is not even half if it. So many cat fights happening back then too, all the juicy cat fights lmao

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

JohnWayne23
32 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Well if you are in teenage years now, I can understand why you didn't catch on with the dramas since you were too young back then. So it is not your fault tbh :sis:

I'm 25 :toofunny::sharon:

RAMROD
Just now, JohnWayne23 said:

I'm 25 :toofunny::sharon:

GORRRLLL! How did you missed it :sis:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

juju

I feel like a lot of it was labels pitting one against the other. That, because you're X, you can't be Y - it's one or the other, you can't do both. You can't be complex. A total Madonna/W'hore dichotomy, or in this case, Pop Girl/"Punk Rocker". As Avril's image evolved by her 3rd album, she was doing things that were very "Britney/Christina", so in turn, she distanced herself from her tone-deaf beginnings (not the music, I loved the music; just the slut-shaming, etc.). The comments where she made light of Britney's mental illness in 2007 probably came from a very ignorant place, and it seems like a year later she was more sympathetic and understanding of the situation, which is fair because the same could be said for many of us - we really had no idea what was going on/how bad it really was, until mid-2008.

In a world that's quick to pit woman against woman, I'm glad they've both grown and now support each other. :)

(Although Britney was on point with that shade in the early 2000s! :ladyhaha: Reminds me of Gaga post-2012, as there's nothing wrong with defending yourself ) 

❤ x ❤

JohnWayne23
1 hour ago, RAMROD said:

GORRRLLL! How did you missed it :sis:

I was so into Linkin Park at the time, I wasn't even paying attention 

Archived