Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

I Figured Out the Coachella Intro

PunkTheFunk

Featured Posts

PunkTheFunk

It's time for another theory/reach. I'm not necessarily coming to any conclusions; just pointing out my observations.

Zyron_Caf_da_Manh.gif

If you watch the Coachella intro closely, it's all about contrasts and opposing forces -- Yin and Yang. Light and Dark. Good and Evil. The Fame and The Fame Monster. Katy Perry and the Grammys.

260px-Yin_yang.svg.png

"In Chinese philosophy, yin and yang ("dark–bright") describe how seemingly opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary, interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world, and how they may give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another."

1. I'll start with the most obvious: light (yang) and dark (yin). 

giphy.gif

The next part of the video is chock-full of contrasts.

2. Look closely at Gaga on the left and right of the video. On one side she's moving her hands apart, and on the other she's moving them together. Big and Small. Far and Close.

giphy.gif

3. In the same gif above, there are two shots of birds. One is of a flock of gulls flying, and the other is of a crow/raven sitting on a branch perfectly still.

There are plenty of contrasts we can get from this. Movement and Stillness. Togetherness and Isolation. Many and One.

The way these shots alternate with pictures of Gaga make me think that she's an embodiment of all these contrasts. She is the sociable and carefree gull, but she is also the cunning and solitary crow. "I want to fly away, but I also want to sit perfectly still. I want to be around others, but I also want to be alone. I feel big, but I also feel small. I am many people, but I am also one person."

jkrrtFx.jpg

6lS8gE4.jpg

4. In this same portion of the video, we get two shots of the ocean: one of waves crashing at the shore, and the other of calm water on the horizon.

Turbulence and Peace.

iHRDfgv.jpg

GER4AK4.jpg

One thing I found interesting about points 3 and 4 was that one of the forces was shown to us at a distance, while the other is shown more close up. For the birds: we see the gulls at a distance, but the crow right at Gaga's level. We see the calm water at a distance, but the waves crashing at Gaga's level. Which makes me assume that at this point in time, she is identifying with one force over the other. 

"From a distance I look like a gull, but really, I am the crow. From a distance it looks like I have everything together, but in reality, I'm crashing just like those waves."

5. The infamous tentacle scene :laughga:

The contrast we see here is with the image we saw of Gaga before: angelic, brown hair flowing around her, looking right at us with eyes open, white t-shirt, calm expression, against a light background.

EymRyjL.jpg

Then we see Gaga deepthroating an octopus :madge: She's (seemingly) naked. She's against a dark background. Her hair is all tied back. She looks sweaty and exhausted. Her body is positioned away from us and her eyes are mostly closed (and when they're open, they look empty and demonic)

ZsxelV3.jpg

This to me is the centerpiece of the entire video, and the essence of the opposing forces that are Lady and Gaga. Jazz with Tony Bennett and covering yourself with blood on national TV. Singing a wholesome rendition of God Bless America in Texas and being puked on with paint while riding a mechanical bull.

6. This one is easy: Up and Down. Rise and Fall. Fame and Decay? 

giphy.gif

7. We get a shot of a vase of carnations (?) juxtaposed with TentacleGa.

White carnations represent innocence and purity. TentacleGa represents the total opposite of that :sure:

QMzZ2At.jpg

8. The last two shots are very interesting if you take the whole analysis into account.

The formerly angelic Gaga now has light coming out of her eyes and a lizard on her forehead. And TentacleGa is now looking right at us, calm and aware. Imo this is Gaga's way of showing just how much the two forces - Lady and Gaga - have overlapped. Like yin and yang, the forces are not necessarily opposing, but complementary. 

The two "interact to form a dynamic system in which the whole is greater than the assembled parts. Everything has both yin and yang aspects; shadow cannot exist without light."

CBuwZHc.jpg

ULkT7DA.jpg

And a stray observation -- throughout the entire video we get shots of a vintage car racing down a road in the rain (if you look closely the windshield wipers are going).

fAcwJxR.jpg

In the two Gaga songs I can think of off the top of my head where she describes getting into a car and running away (Marry The Night and John Wayne), she is embracing her darker side in some way. Is this Gaga's way of telling us that she's running away from the light Joanne era and racing towards a dark EP?

tumblr_inline_onemwbd6IV1ssjguu_500.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Katsuki Bakugo

Yes and No but mostly yes and somewhat no! She is and is not doing this!

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

migamiga

Shook this isn't a troll thread :stalkga:

OT: Great analysis! I interpreted the tentacle scene as the monster within her. Could mean she's consuming it or battling it. Idk haven't thought too much into it

McMonster08
11 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Yin and Yang. Light and Dark. Good and Evil. The Fame and The Fame Monster. Katy Perry and the Grammys.

:rip:

EDIT-good observation:golfclap:

melon

"Katy Perry and the Grammys" :ladyhaha:

agreed, amazing observations tbh I feel very enlightened rn :pray: 

side note: didn't someone on here post about deepthroating the tentacle meaning moving on in love (or something similar?) 

heauxmatica

Babel

my god another iconic thread. I laughed, I learnt, and I left with some new gifs in my bag.

LordEnigma

Alright, I went into this about to roll my eyes but now... I have seen the light and will be replaying the intro all night to catch all of it.

Manul

If you watch the Coachella intro closely, it's all about contrasts and opposing forces -- Yin and Yang. Light and Dark. Good and Evil. The Fame and The Fame Monster. Katy Perry and the Grammys...

Chainsmokers and quality, Azealia Banks and sanity, Lady Gaga and relevance

it wasn't laaaahv

TimisaMonster

Very possible...Little Detectives at it again :stalkga:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

PunkTheFunk
6 minutes ago, Alexander Levi said:

Alright, I went into this about to roll my eyes

I seem to have that effect on people

alJihXy.gif

PunkTheFunk
1 minute ago, Katie14 said:

Really smart analysis! Are those your quotes?

The ones about yin-yang specifically are from Wikipedia :poot:

Archived