Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What "Went Wrong" During ARTPOP Era?

bobbby

Featured Posts

TSUNAMI

Gaga went wrong. 

She was too exhausted and because of that her artistry and creativity got behind because she was forcing it in order to please fans and people who treat her as a goose with golden eggs. 

I think she's now on the right track. I think Tony helped her a lot. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maleficent

Her attitude was a turn-off. Sorry, but no one should call their unreleased work album of the decade/century/millennium. Also, I think in the GP generally wants their pop-stars to be fun and laid-back, whereas Gaga came off as intense and pretentious. I was worried she'd start her own lifestyle website and sell "skin caviar" at some point. 

Flawless

The media backlash was HUGE. This made the whole "era" heavy for the fans. For me this mess started in the BTWB when the media in general decided to talk **** about her all the time. For me she was already exausted mentally. And then the Troy break up came. The single change, the unreleased video. I think she was really depressed. ARTPOP was probably nothing like she had in mind.

the scars on my mind are on replay.

arrtpop
30 minutes ago, BloodyJudas said:

3. The Judas controversy was a nail to her casket. She got so many haters for it.

What Judas controversy was there?

aphrodite

Luv u Sum

In my opinion it was her management/team. Because they treated her like **** and it made her not want to try and continue to work and promote the album so she just kinda stopped. 

BloodyJudas
4 minutes ago, arrtpop said:

What Judas controversy was there?

The video, the lyrics (her love for Judas), releasing the video during Easter time

TSUNAMI
26 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Well, she entered the industry at the top. She revolutionized pop music and became an icon thanks to her first album and her second only sent her higher...but what goes up must come down :S

She had two choices at the peak: she could give them more pop or she could give them something meaningful. She delivered BTW which was a meaningful album that touched on a lot of political, societal, and personal topics. A ton of people were there for it but she was slowly loosing her audience. It was through no fault of her own though, I still maintain that the GP doesn't like music that makes them think :nails: they just want lazy bops or romance ballads. Anything else and it's largely ignored.

At the end of the BTW era, it all came crashing down. She broke her hip, entered a depression, gave in to addiction, and secluded herself. Imo, that mess and the toll it took leaked over into the ARTPOP era. She butted heads with a manager that was only interested in her brand, not her artistry, and that simply didn't work out well. The second single switch, the decision to not put the DWUW video out, the poor promo for G.U.Y., it just was one mistake/trial after another.

Though looking back, I don't think any of it is even relevant anymore. Commercially, ARTPOP did fine and so did the artRAVE. The singles didn't live up to her standards but they didn't totally fail either (even Dope did well :whitney:). And what really matters, the music, is fantastic. Each song was personal, well done, and substantive...save maybe JnD and MANiCURE but even they're bops so :sweat:

Idk, tl;dr - She peaked too fast, slowly declined during BTW, crashed, and ARTPOP was about recovering from it. The Joanne era is her first stable era and I think she'll maintain what she has now for years, even decades to come :wub:

SO true. 

blackpink

I definitely think that the way ARTPOP managed was one obvious factor. Everything was really promising when the Applause era started but things slowly got messy when the Venus/DWUW fiasco happened. And everyone knows what happened after that. 

The media had it in for her too. So much negativity surrounding her just because she is a human being and couldn't match her previous records. Her own fans turned on her. 

However she also seemed a bit pretentious and snobby during 2012-13 but fans know she meant well, and it was just another character for her to play that era. The vomit art piece probably was the final nail in the coffin for the era. 

But overall I think it was just a learning lesson in her life and she has shown so much growth as an artist and as a person since then. I couldn't be more proud of her :applause:

River

It's difficult to be an artist like Gaga when there are too many Chainsmokers artists now.

I mean let's be honest, all the legends from Whitney, Queen, Prince, even Bowie, would be in the same situation as Gaga in 2013 and until now and it'll keep going until the music companies will shake up things and stop being greedy for cash and hits..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

PartySick

Another thing is, and this is just my opinion, I feel like Troy just simply isn't a good manager.

I feel like he went to her saying "ok, here's what'll work and that's what you're going to do" and Gaga's obviously going to push back against that. Especially when she wasn't mentally well and just wanted to get back out on the stage.

I think Bobby's much better at what he does. He goes to her and says "Ok, what do you want to do?" *enter Gaga's answer here* "Ok, cool, here's how we can make that work". He respects her interests and artistry. Bobby knows he's promoting and managing an artist while Troy thought of her and her music like products that he had to sell :/

11 minutes ago, Dolce Vita said:

The vomit art piece probably was the final nail in the coffin for the era. 

Ok but that was actually my favorite performance of the era :giveup:

Probably my favorite in general :giveup:

🖤

Jewels n Drugs

Im such a stan for ARTPOP. But can someone link me to some media backlash?

oh look when you werent looking my motorcycle turned into a piano

Whispering

You've been here since 2011. Haven't you seen this discussed a million times? 

The short and sweet version: 

Alejanjdro, Meat Dress, BTW, Hip Break, Tour Cancellation, Addiction, Shitty Management, Bad Press, Severe Depression...Blah, blah, blah

**** happens in life. You learn, you go on. That's what Gaga did. 

juju

I think that not only was the pressure on, but Gaga had far more ideas than she knew to do with. We had the #GagaInSpace, the projects with Marina Abramović/Jeff Koons/etc, we had VOLANTIS, we had the app, we had a Gaga who was torn between doing explicitly what she wanted versus what her label wanted of her - and most of this was before the album was even released. I think, given the fragile state she was in during early 2013 following the cancellation of almost 100 shows, she was exhausted to the point that she abandoned things midway in many cases, whether it be from self-doubt or reluctance. 

Noticeably, during/after the Do What U Want debacle, she sort of retreated at the end of 2013 and early 2014, only before emerging for that performance of the title track on Jimmy Fallon in February. I feel like she took that brief period between December - following The Voice performance and the Jingle Bell Ball - and February to reinvigorate herself, hone her visions, and execute what was remaining of the era. She debuted the floor-length platinum wig, she did Roseland, she filmed one of her most epic videos for G.U.Y., and she embarked on the ArtRave. All of these things were immaculately produced and true to form for her, so by the end of the era in late 2014, she was visibly regaining confidence and trust in herself and her visions. The ARTPOP era was the first time we got to publicly watch Gaga fumble before scoring a touchdown. I think that aspect of it, in and of itself, is why the era was so special.

❤ x ❤

perfillusion

1. The change of release date of Applause.

2. Performing Dope at YouTube Music Awards instead of Applause (could've easily boosted her for #1)

3. Troy leaving her.

4. DWUW video delay

5. Depression

Archived