review

Grace Randolph duscusses ASIB - Beyond The Trailer

DAVID VOGUER

Featured Posts

MichealScott

I watch that channel everyday 

I love her, she is so knowledgeable about the movie industry

John Slayne

interesting insight, I'm already eager to see the movie and if it succeeds or not 

DeleteMyAccount

People who dislike Country probably haven't spent a long enough time actually listening to the broad spectrum of Country music. 

I do, however, understand the argument of a Country musical being somewhat hard to market considering this may be a wide release film.

Also, will this be a wide release film?.. Because it may be like LLL or something where the film was sent to festivals and such with no initial wide release.

freebit

Her points are pretty valid IMO. 

This is a movie that will play best to women and gay men - that's a pretty big, often overlooked, under-served audience when it comes to movies. Judging from comments from non-fans from other sites and blogs, people are kind of here for this because they think it will be campy & fun - so I can see why she thinks our fave playing up her strengths as pop cultural figure with fashion and dance music would go over better.

At the same time, I can see why they're going with a toned down Stefani Germanotta as a country singer. If she were to be everything that encompasses Lady Gaga, we would only hear about how Gaga is just "playing herself" like we did with AHS Hotel. Plus, I really don't think this being envisioned as a high fashion, camp affair would help its success that much. It would just be more easily branded a Glitter or a Showgirls - both of which became pop culture events, but more in an ironic way.

Either way, A Star Is Born was never going to be a super easy sell. Looking at stills, and getting an overall vibe, I think it's best that they try to sell the romance angle & make sure the script is decent. Good, mainstream romance movies are few and far between, and when Hollywood does make an effort to market them, they usually do surprisingly well (Beyond the Lights, Me Before You). 

RAMROD

I love her channel. This is a great point of view.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

12 hours ago, giskardsb said:

If Gaga just did "rising pop star" then everbody would just say they were making a movie too literally about her.

She isn't doing this movie as Lady Gaga pop musician.  She's doing this as an actress playing the role of an up and coming music star, apparently a modern country star but hard to say.  

Using Lady Gaga's star power as a pop star to bring people to the movie would just end up overwhelming the movie itself and would essentially guarantee that nobody would take it on it's own merits.

It's going to be very difficult anyway for people to divorce the Lady Gaga concept from her character.  Billing herself as Stefani and doing a complete genre shift at least helps the cause to some extent.  But the preconceptions of herself will warp peoples views.... she is going to have to be a tremendous actress to get people to quit thinking they are watching "Lady Gaga" on the screen and believe in her character.   She has a bigger initial hurdle to overcome than if she was a completely unknown person doing her first role.

This. 

12 hours ago, Camore said:

I would rather have country/rock in the soundtrack than pop. I don't want a kitschy Disney movie about a rising popstar. The music will make the movie more... human, therefore possible awards appeal.

Million Reasons and Joanne are one of her best works. I don't care if the music won't be as popular. I want good, heartfelt music in the film that might intensify the acting. 

This too. Actually, I'm relieved that it's not going to be pop.

Katharine Hepburn
18 hours ago, freebit said:

Her points are pretty valid IMO. 

This is a movie that will play best to women and gay men - that's a pretty big, often overlooked, under-served audience when it comes to movies. Judging from comments from non-fans from other sites and blogs, people are kind of here for this because they think it will be campy & fun - so I can see why she thinks our fave playing up her strengths as pop cultural figure with fashion and dance music would go over better.

At the same time, I can see why they're going with a toned down Stefani Germanotta as a country singer. If she were to be everything that encompasses Lady Gaga, we would only hear about how Gaga is just "playing herself" like we did with AHS Hotel. Plus, I really don't think this being envisioned as a high fashion, camp affair would help its success that much. It would just be more easily branded a Glitter or a Showgirls - both of which became pop culture events, but more in an ironic way.

Either way, A Star Is Born was never going to be a super easy sell. Looking at stills, and getting an overall vibe, I think it's best that they try to sell the romance angle & make sure the script is decent. Good, mainstream romance movies are few and far between, and when Hollywood does make an effort to market them, they usually do surprisingly well (Beyond the Lights, Me Before You). 

Also a full on singing and dancing musical wouldn't be as impactful after La La Land last year

xoxo Joanne

sethrb101

:toofunny: Queen Grace. I love her videos. Like someone else said, I don't always agree with her, but she always has a perspective I want to hear.

#Gaga2020

Archived