news

Goldderby: Lady Gaga among top artists to the Grammys 2018

Monsterious

Featured Posts

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miel

I might be stretching, but Joanne definitely deserves at least a nom for AOTY. That is some good music.

3 points in and ready for more

StrawberryBlond

The chance of an AOTY nomination is getting smaller and smaller now that Kendrick's been added into the mix. Along with Ed, Bruno and The Weeknd, that only leaves one space for Gaga and there's still got just under 6 months left to go before the Grammy deadline. With 4 big names pretty much secured, it would be very rare for the academy to give the final spot to another big mainstream name. They usually have 4 big names and one surprisingly low selling 'artist's artist' that no one's heard of who just so happened to have amazing reviews. As for Song/Record of the year, MR isn't completely out of the equation but if The Cure is a hit, it could always take its place. But as for Best Pop Album...she's got a huge chance there. Bruno and Ed will be the only competition thus far and it's uncertain if the academy will be here for Harry Styles when he releases or if it'll even be classed as pop. Bruno's album perhaps wasn't as successful or well-recieved enough for a win and Ed's always struggled to get Grammys and his reception was actually quite mixed. What with all the hype around Gaga recently, she's got a big chance. And this is all assuming that we know how Joanne would be sorted. I'm sure it'll be considered pop but will MR be classed as pop or country in the Best ___ Song category?

That J
2 hours ago, Mariah Carey said:

You could stream it for free on Youtube though :interestinga:

Haha I bought it AND stream it cuz I do everything for Lady Gaga.  Hahaha. 😋💙

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

That J

Im tired of "names" getting nominations just because of who they are, how much they sell or what their expectation SHOULD be. That's not how the Grammys used to work. They should monitor things on a "this album is actually better than that album" system. Like really! You're not going to find a more diverse heartfelt album from a mainstream artist recently like Joanne. She has the name and the album. So, I'm hoping for the best while knowing the system is BS.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

nattuggla

I think with a Joanne re-release (incl. TC) her chances of being nominated or even winning increases. 

I know people will start now that TC would not fit to a sound like Joanne but even not PI and DIC didn't match and they still made it on the album. 

GagaTheExplorer

I'm in goldderby too, and they are such a mess.

but my prediction is that Gaga has hight chances on getting these nominations:

Album Of The Year: 30% (she is basically the only woman to be considered so far, with the 50% of the eligibility period done, and they always nominate at least one girl there, and Bruno Mars has been snubbed before so... there is still hope)

Record Of The Year: 20% (Million Reasons being so far her biggest chance, but if The Cure turns into a bigger hit, then there is a very strong chance for her to get a nod here, her first one since Poker Face!)

Song Of The Year: 60% (this is here biggest chance on getting a nomination in the general field this year, with Million Reasons obviously, it is a platinum certified top 5 hit, and has really touching lyris, it is a front-runner in this category)

Pop Vocal Album: 80% (Joanne has this category basically on locked, Ed Sheeran is the front-runner to win, but Gaga is basically the only girl compiting this year, and Bruno and The Weeknd are more likely submitting their records in Urban Contemporany instead of Pop)

Pop Solo Performance: 90% (Million Reasons is not only a sure bet in this category but the front-runner to win, its only competitor is Shape Of You, which is a bigger hit, but not the kind of songs that the Grammys prefer to reward in the category)

Music Video: John Wayne 10% (she has won before this category, but JW doesn't seem like a good bet this year, Kendrick Lamar's HUMBLE is totally taking it)

MJHolland
8 hours ago, Bradley said:

Joanne deserves Album of the Year. I know it doesn't do as well as Starboy but the production is clearly better than the ones mentioned above...

She's also the only female artist being considered. To be honest, she's the only female artist active in the industry right now. Katy seemed to have disappeared after Chained to the Rhythm. Beyonce, Britney, Taylor, Rihanna are all not doing anything. Gaga is competing with almost only men.

Wait what? Joanne? AOTY?

Ive never heard a non-Gaga fan listening to Joanne, it has almost no cultural impact - nor is it that cohesive or great of an album IMO to win AOTY.

AshIey

I'm expecting few if any nominations and no wins with the competition she has so far. :shrug:

Bradley
6 hours ago, MJHolland said:

Wait what? Joanne? AOTY?

Ive never heard a non-Gaga fan listening to Joanne, it has almost no cultural impact - nor is it that cohesive or great of an album IMO to win AOTY.

You need ears.

GagaTheExplorer
3 hours ago, Bradley said:

You need ears.

Joanne is a good album, but to get nominated in AOTY it would need

Incredible chart performance (like 21, The Fame, 25, 1989...), Joanne is doing decently

Several hits (Teenange Dream, Purpose, The Fame Monster...), Joanne only had 1

Critical Acclaim (Lemonade, TPAB, Morning Phase...) , Joanne did modestly with 67, which is not bad but not excelent

Cultural Impact (Lemonade, Born This Way, 21...), Joanne is only mentinated by monsters (mostly)

Joanne is far away from all those things, while Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, The Weeknd, Drake and Kendrick Lamar have all that in their bag, so is gonna be really REALLY HARD for Gaga to get nominated for AOTY with this project, but if a woman can make it this year, that's Gaga, because the rest is practically dead

Irrelevant

Inb4 The Cure beats The Chainsmokers in the dance category or whatever and they end up releasing a surprise collaboration :poot:

êŽ‘ì•ŒëĄœ 걞얎가 알아 ë„€ home ground

Ryusei
18 hours ago, Funkymonkey said:

What about Lorde and Lana? 

Any publication and Award committee be like

mariah-carey-i-dont-know-her.gif 

Musery

Ryusei
19 minutes ago, GagaTheExplorer said:

Incredible chart performance (like 21, The Fame, 25, 1989...), Joanne is doing decently

Critical Acclaim (Lemonade, TPAB, Morning Phase...) , Joanne did modestly with 67, which is not bad but not excelent

Cultural Impact (Lemonade, Born This Way, 21...), Joanne is only mentinated by monsters (mostly)

Joanne is far away from all those things, while Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, The Weeknd, Drake and Kendrick Lamar have all that in their bag, so is gonna be really REALLY HARD for Gaga to get nominated for AOTY with this project, but if a woman can make it this year, that's Gaga, because the rest is practically dead

Remember when beck won tho? did that have any of these except for critical acclaim? also Taylor won it against kendrick too so why can't gaga :poot: 

Musery

Bradley
18 minutes ago, GagaTheExplorer said:

Work has a Record of the Year nomination but it received only mixed reviews from critics. I do acknowledge its popularity though.

Joanne isn't actually doing that bad on the charts, there are several albums which are not as commercially successful as Joanne but which were Album of the Year winners/nominees - Morning Phase - Beck, The Suburbs - Arcade Fire.

I'm not very familiar with those albums but I'm not sure if they produced hits? I haven't heard any songs from those albums on the radio. Joanne received favourable reviews and its production actually is in my opinion one of the most unique and brilliant in the music industry today.

It definitely needs some luck, but it's not impossible, especially if the Grammy voters wanted to acknowledge at least one woman for the category.

Archived