💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Can someone explain what happened with AP second single?

MiddleZone

Featured Posts

MiddleZone

hey y'all, don't post much, but loving the cure, what a great time to be a fan!!

anyhow, i was just wondering what actually happened with the ARTPOP second single? It's all very confusing for someone who wasn't a stan at the time... Also, am I right in saying we'd heard most of the album before it was released? There seems to be sooo many snippets on Gaga's YT?

boobtank

As a fan of Gaga that has been around for a long time... I don't think she even clearly knows what happened. :duck:

She announced Venus as the second single, but decided to release DWUW as the second single after it received a lot of attention as a promo single.

Yes, we'd heard pretty much the whole album before release. I think Fashion!, Donatella and Gypsy were the only ones we didn't hear before the album release. 

Gia Gunn

If I'm not mistaken, the second single was about to be Venus, but DWUW was realeased as a promo one (just like Dope) and because it kinda smashed, DWUW took over as the official second single.

And yes, we had heard most of the album before its realease. During the iTunes festival she premiered 7 new songs (one of them was I Wanna Be With You, which ended up being Dope), then we got G.U.Y. and Mary Jane Holland snippets if I recall correctly, a live performance of Gypsy and so on...

Blade

Yes, she released lots of snippets before the album was released. Also she performed at the iTunes festival months before ARTPOP came out and performed some songs live.

After Applause was the lead single, she announced that the second single was going to be "Venus". She teased lyrics on Instagram and even uploaded some snippets of the song on YouTube. She even said that she had the video planned. But a week before Venus was released, her team somehow thought it was clever to release a promo single, which was "Do What You Want". After that song went straight to #1 on iTunes, they cancelled "Venus" as the second single and made "DWUW" the official second single.

Venus was still released but as a promo single & sadly no video.

alejandreaux

Venus got cancelled as the main 2nd single when Do What U Want started to become HUGE on iTunes. so DWUW officially became the 2nd single and it rose to #13 on Billboard Hot 100. all was well until we got no video for it, which was crucial for the song's success at that point. complications such as Gaga not being given enough time by her label, and controversial people like Terry Richardson/R. Kelly being involved led to Gaga basically deeming the video as trash so it eventually got #cancelledT. a Christina Aguilera remix was released at some point but i dont think anyone ever actualy listened to it. MONTHS went by and finally Gaga gave up on it entirely and moved on to the 3rd single (G.UY.) which got a great video but it flopped tragically on the charts. :poot:

i hope i did a good filling you in on the Gaga stanning experience in 2013-2014 :wub:

Noir

You're lucky you didn't stan then, I laugh now but fml it was traumatic at the time. Although it does make me grateful for how smoothly things have been running recently. I'm not sure we'll ever see the video, but even still DWUW is easily one of her most well-received tracks.

2020Covid19IsOurs
26 minutes ago, alejandreaux said:

flopped tragically on the charts. :poot:

Couldn't have said it better:toofunny:

Gaga x JeffHardy x BillMaher

Bolkins
1 minute ago, Noir said:

You're lucky you didn't stan then, I laugh now but fml it was traumatic at the time. Although it does make me grateful for how smoothly things have been running recently. I'm not sure we'll ever see the video, but even still DWUW is easily one of her most well-received tracks.

It really was such a **** show, a tragic game of how many things can go wrong for Gaga during one album cycle, it was like she had a curse over her head. 

KleinGa

What a time to be alive. (don't mean that in a good way). Here's my short breakdown:

Venus was released and chosen as second single. Vid was promised.

DWUW released as promo single. Got loads of attention and charted well.

Single changed. DWUW promoted everywhere. DWUW made it to No.13.

Vid was expected. Messy stuff happened. Months passed. No vid. vid cancelled. Gaga gave response and moved on. 

The Child

Honestly I think I was the only one happy about DWUW being the 2nd single, it's so much better than Venus.

DWUW should even have been the lead single.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Princess Stache
7 minutes ago, KleinGa said:

What a time to be alive. (don't mean that in a good way). Here's my short breakdown:

Venus was released and chosen as second single. Vid was promised.

DWUW released as promo single. Got loads of attention and charted well.

Single changed. DWUW promoted everywhere. DWUW made it to No.13.

Vid was expected. Messy stuff happened. Months passed. No vid. vid cancelled. Gaga gave response and moved on. 

Well Venus did get incorporated into the GUY film, but still, it should have been a single.  People loved it at Coachella, and Gaga produced it almost entirely by herself.

15jocart

The incident almost exactly parallels A-Yo/Million Reasons (that second single curse), but MR got its time in the sun.....lots of time in the sun.

Been a long time but I'm back in town, and this time I'm not leaving without you

Oriane

Honestly I loved living this era as a fan. I didn't care about the "flop", the promo being a "mess" to some fans. I loved the music, the message, the looks, everything. Having a little snippet, performance, song release here and there in the two months before the album release was so great to live. And there are so many unforgettable moments. The iTunes festival, the Applause performances, the Muppets, the first Gypsy performance... It was so magic. Even after she parted ways with Troy, she managed to keep her head up and continue and offered us some amazing shows like the SXSW and the Roseland Ballroom.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Archived