Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Becoming Stefani - A Reverse Gagaian Expedition

codymonster

Featured Posts

codymonster

This is just an analysis of Lady Gaga, who she is as an artist, and how that has changed and been shaped throughout each album cycle. I'd like to hear your opinions as well!

THE FAME: (Lady Gaga)

I feel this album really represented what Lady Gaga was; a pop machine who churned out hits, explored other genres, and did so through strange and almost hypnotic visuals.  She sang seemingly mindless pop songs, but upon further investigation, hid a deeper commentary on fame, art, and life. Her performances were pop, but always had an element of art which caused you to tip your head to the side and wonder "Who is this girl?"  I feel this is the creation of Stefani, and the artist she wanted to become.

993dac908cb6159fe36fc6071d4a07f6.jpg

THE FAME MONSTER: (Gaga)

This album represented the more "Gaga" side of Lady Gaga; the dark, twisted side. She was drifting more away from looking like a pop star, and appeared more like a monster.  She still focused on visuals and songs with deeper meanings, but the balance of "Lady" and "Gaga" had been tipped more towards "Gaga", however Stefani was still continuing the story of "Lady Gaga".

lady-gaga-the-fame-monster-era-2009-1477

BORN THIS WAY: (Mother Monster)

This era represented an important, but also strange, transformation for Lady Gaga.  While pieces of Lady Gaga could definitely be found, this album was less about continuing story and artistic vision of Lady Gaga, and more about creating something for her fans; almost a moral obligation. She noticed the pain of her fans, and also noticed her newfound voice as a huge public figure, and wanted to create something that would be both a monumental pop record, but also a record that could change lives.  Stefani's kind heart and loving characteristics shone through in this album, becoming less of a artistic creature, and more of a "Mother Monster."  The story of "Lady Gaga" was put on hold in order to tell the story of her fans.

ea0586da86df929590234b433a07afec.jpg

ARTPOP: (Lady Gaga)

Personally, I think that ARTPOP was the only other album, besides The Fame, that truly captured the image of the "Lady Gaga" Stefani had created for herself.  ARTPOP, like The Fame, took seemingly big, brainless pop songs, with deep underlying meanings, and portrayed them through live performances in artistic and strange ways.  It even began to translate into her life off the stage, letting herself truly become her music, like a piece of art (ex. Mary Jane Holland, the Goddess Venus, the tortured artist, the blonde pop star, etc).  However, I feel Stefani was starting to realize that this was not enough for her anymore; she craved that realness that came with being a nameless artist who performed rock songs down in bars in New York. Lady Gaga, the pop star, was dying and rejecting pop music, and this chapter of her life was ending.

proxy.php?code=0ff092dcdb2496d847847daef

CHEEK TO CHEEK: (Lady)

Cheek to Cheek represented a period of time where Stefani tucked Gaga away for a bit, and embraced the Lady; an elegant jazz singer. She wore fancy dresses, sang jazz, and really explored the side of her that she was unable to express as a artistic and strange pop star. She through away every piece of identity she created for herself, and really immersed herself in this lifestyle/music. Through this exploration, I feel Stefani truly discovered what she wanted to be as an artist.

2000?cb=20140616204955

JOANNE: (Stefani)

I feel Joanne really represented the time of her life where she truly had found away to combine all the many ways she liked to express herself as an artist, and as a person.  She played the role of Gaga through songs such as "Dancin in Circles," "John Wayne," and "Ayo," played the part of Mother Monster through "Come to Mama," and "Angel Down," played the part of Lady through "Million Reasons," and "Joanne". Together, I think Stefani had redefined Lady Gaga, evolving her to include a more personal side of herself that she had hidden away for a long time, as it represented a difficult and hard time for her. Through Joanne, Stefani brought her past self and her future self together, to re-create "Lady Gaga" and did so in a way that fed all of the many ways she loved to express herself. She was not chained to an identity, but was free to express herself in any way she felt, all during a single album cycle.

wochit_20160929_gaga_252619_1280x720_776

I really have enjoyed thinking about all of this, and following Gaga's journey. I'm excited to see where this new form of "Lady Gaga" will take us with her next album :) Hope you enjoyed my analysis. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Miel

Interesting interpretation. I can't say I agree on completely everything (I don't know if the whole "Lady Gaga" persona was as intentional as I used to think it was), but a great, and valid, interpretation nonetheless.

That said, I really like your interpretation of Joanne, as a sort of culmination of all her previous facets- the past meets the future, in a sense. It definitely shows in the album's writing, imo.

3 points in and ready for more

codymonster
3 minutes ago, Miel said:

Interesting interpretation. I can't say I agree on completely everything (I don't know if the whole "Lady Gaga" persona was as intentional as I used to think it was), but a great, and valid, interpretation nonetheless.

That said, I really like your interpretation of Joanne, as a sort of culmination of all her previous facets- the past meets the future, in a sense. It definitely shows in the album's writing, imo.

I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond! Thanks for the feedback :) 

BlingNotTheMusic

This was awesome. I love that we all have different thoughts on her career and the artistic aspects of her music rather than her just being someone that releases music. 

It really is about the art. 

codymonster
34 minutes ago, Acsnpdx8 said:

This was awesome. I love that we all have different thoughts on her career and the artistic aspects of her music rather than her just being someone that releases music. 

It really is about the art. 

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! And I completely agree; she truly is an artist, and her music/lifestyle goes hand in hand, which is such an amazing, and rare nowadays, thing. No other singer in recent years has created such a personal and in depth connection between their life, their public persona, their fashion, their music, and their lyrics, and done so in such a consistent and cohesive fashion. It's truly remarkable.

Archived