celeb

Drake Destroys Ed Sheeran's Records

Hades

Featured Posts

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

Does Ed's UK record still hold, though? This just shows you how easy it is to break a record now. There used to be years and years between records this big. I mean, Britney was still holding onto her "most copies of an album sold in a week in the US by a female artist" with Oops I Did It Again until Adele finally broke it with 25 in 2015. But then you have Miley who set the most views in 24 hours record on Vevo only for the record to be taken a year or so later, even though her target seemed impossible anytime in the near future. Records can be snatched so quick, it's like there's less achievement in them.

8 minutes ago, highbythebeach said:

Why is it always the male singers breaking records?

This is the beginnings of another 'male year.' Music journalists have noted that there does tend to be 'male years' and 'female years' in music. 2009-2011 was probably the last real 'female years.' But all this obsession with male artists right now should hopefully mean that the tables will turn soon. I know I'm getting bored of all these male voices on the radio and charts and want something by a female to be a big hit again. The public will start to feel this soon as well.

Pharamon
15 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Does Ed's UK record still hold, though? This just shows you how easy it is to break a record now. There used to be years and years between records this big. I mean, Britney was still holding onto her "most copies of an album sold in a week in the US by a female artist" with Oops I Did It Again until Adele finally broke it with 25 in 2015. But then you have Miley who set the most views in 24 hours record on Vevo only for the record to be taken a year or so later, even though her target seemed impossible anytime in the near future. Records can be snatched so quick, it's like there's less achievement in them.

This is the beginnings of another 'male year.' Music journalists have noted that there does tend to be 'male years' and 'female years' in music. 2009-2011 was probably the last real 'female years.' But all this obsession with male artists right now should hopefully mean that the tables will turn soon. I know I'm getting bored of all these male voices on the radio and charts and want something by a female to be a big hit again. The public will start to feel this soon as well.

Cool... one mans trash is another mans come up

JustinTrudeau

Huh. Someday, Drake's record will be beat. It's insane how big the numbers are :duck:

I fell down the stairs once as an actor.

TimisaMonster

Oh Ed...

i9A7iaZ.gif

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Robo Ga
8 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Does Ed's UK record still hold, though? This just shows you how easy it is to break a record now. There used to be years and years between records this big.

So true, people are quick to say "[Insert artist] broke streaming records!" and act like it's a huge deal when in reality, streaming is just becoming more popular each year as a whole, so every year records will be broken until the playing field levels out b/c of market saturation. Once EVERYONE has switched to streaming platforms, records will be harder to break, but in the meantime it will keep happening. 

🤖⚡️

RadioIsOurs
8 hours ago, MetalliGa said:

Is male pop really that small of a circle? :reductive:

It has gone to shits since the 2000s...

sillynate

I went to the US top 50 chart on spotify because I wanted to bop to everything from #2 - #50 (I knew Ed was #1) and it was sooooo annoying because Drake's album was the first 15ish spots :saladga:

JusKeepBreathin

I believe I was the first to break this news on the charts thread even before this article was written. 

42784-AHS-Asylum-Name-Game-Sister-Ju-s3E

And someone had the audacity to respond that Ed was bigger in streaming world wide in bold letters.:sharon: Here's some bold letters for you my friend...EAT IT!

Only GGD's ICONIC charts thread can deliver this news first. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Archived