Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Father John Misty says he loves Gaga, hates the industry

Miracle

Featured Posts

Harry

Even though his comments were pretty lengthy and unnecessarily wordy, it was pretty clear his problem was not with Gaga. I feel bad that he has to justify it.

He even said it was like the artists want to "break free". Of course he'd collaborate with her again, he just doesn't like all the corporate stuff that comes with working on a major project like that.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harry
1 hour ago, Oivind said:

I never thought he disliked Gaga. But this quote makes me wonder what he thinks about Joanne:

"But why do you think that Lady Gaga or Beyoncé would come to old Uncle Jerry over here for songs if they weren’t looking for something? If they weren’t like, “Get me away from these ****ing psychos.” Both of them know I’m not running around looking for these gigs. I’ve just done co-writes with those two people. The only reason it happened is because people played them my music and then they asked me to write for them. It’s as simple as that. I have no interest in doing it."

It seems to me that Lady Gaga was allowed to collaborate with some fantastic musicians on the album, not just Father John Misty, and she was allowed to spend a lot of time in the studio making music we have every reason to believe she enjoyed making. So who are these ****ing psychos she supposedly wants to get away from?

Industry/label people rather than "typical" hitmakers, I'd assume.

Whispering
2 hours ago, Supersonic said:

I mean it was pretty obvious that most members misunderstood what he was saying, the quote is quite easy to take out of context.

Most members don't read past the thread title...and that was completely misleading. :) 

27 minutes ago, truthteller said:

he's just giving example of the biggest pop acts in the field.

if he really meant her, he would say "SHE" / "LADY GAGA" / "LADY GAGA AND BEYONCE" instead.

That interpretation makes no sense to me. He is talking about how Lady Gaga and Beyonce are the only pop stars who has asked him for a song, so when he says they want to get away from psychos, I see no other interpretation of "they" than "Lady Gaga and Beyonce".

Miel
5 minutes ago, Oivind said:

Why is it so horrifying? Kesha's situation is, but that's hardly a normal situation, and no one knows if it's her own fault or not (Dr. Luke hasn't been proven guilty, has he?). After all, those pop stars "used" by the indstry are also made rich by the industry. I just don't believe that managers and producers in general are these evil people who are driven by greed and are just using and discarding artists. I'm sure they are driven as much by their love for music. And when there's a conflict, who's to say the artist is always right?

I mean, no doubt that it's beneficial to them monetarily. I'm saying "horrifying" in the context of how women are treated in the industry- particularly from Gaga's and Kesha's POV. In retrospect it's a little bit dramatic of a term to use, but I think it's fairly horrifying the way women can be treated, even if it isn't seen as such to others.

But, I think Father John Misty is a little more in deep with pop conspiracy theories, which I think is what you are mentioning, which... I mean, yeah to an extent, but I agree with you in that I'm not sure if it's literal The Wall level of corporate greed.

3 points in and ready for more

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Industry/label people rather than "typical" hitmakers, I'd assume.

I guess that's what he means. He has said in another interview that it was amazing to see how Mark Ronson works, so I'm sure he's not talking about him. But are industry/label people as bad as he says? They let Lady Gaga make Joanne, how bad can they be?

CautiousLurker

I never though he had an issue with Gaga specifically, and I stand by what I said - his comments on the pop music industry are overly dramatic blanket statements that are very much prevalent, yet not well thought-out. And he still sounded like an a** in that interview.

6 minutes ago, Miel said:

I mean, no doubt that it's beneficial to them monetarily. I'm saying "horrifying" in the context of how women are treated in the industry- particularly from Gaga's and Kesha's POV. In retrospect it's a little bit dramatic of a term to use, but I think it's fairly horrifying the way women can be treated, even if it isn't seen as such to others.

But, I think Father John Misty is a little more in deep with pop conspiracy theories, which I think is what you are mentioning, which... I mean, yeah to an extent, but I agree with you in that I'm not sure if it's literal The Wall level of corporate greed.

If we assume Kesha is telling the truth, she was raped, so that's horrifying, of course. What I wonder, is to what degree female pop stars are forced to dress sexy. Lady Gaga took her clothes off it before she became famous, and by her own account, it was her own idea. And she did it with Lady Starlight, of course. Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, etc., would they dress less sexy if they had complete control? I'm not convinced they would. I think the industry is more unfair towards artists who can really sing, but don't look good enough or dress sexy enough to be chosen. That's the thing which bugs me the most about the pop industry. But I think that's also the general public's fault.

Miel
2 minutes ago, Oivind said:

If we assume Kesha is telling the truth, she was raped, so that's horrifying, of course. What I wonder, is to what degree female pop stars are forced to dress sexy. Lady Gaga took her clothes off it before she became famous, and by her own account, it was her own idea. And she did it with Lady Starlight, of course. Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, etc., would they dress less sexy if they had complete control? I'm not convinced they would. I think the industry is more unfair towards artists who can really sing, but don't look good enough or dress sexy enough to be chosen. That's the thing which bugs me the most about the pop industry. But I think that's also the general public's fault.

Yeah, definitely.

It's kind of scary, because on one hand, I want to believe that they dress out of their own volition (pressure to fit into what society finds is normative for pop starts to wear aside), and sometimes they say as such.

On the other hand, are they forced/coerced to state as much as such?

I'm conspiracy spiraling omg

3 points in and ready for more

Lion Heart

What did he mean by this

Is he back to hating Gaga? 

/sarcasm

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Lion Heart

GhettoFabulous
2 minutes ago, Lion Heart said:

What did he mean by this

Is he back to hating Gaga? 

/sarcasm

Omg he's cancelledT he's over he's such a narcissistic asshole omg 

RienneDuroney.gif

Lion Heart

OH MY GOD,. ASK HIM QUESTIONS. HE RESPONDED TO ME :giveup: 

Did he mean MGMT the BAND? Or did he mean "management"? I don't get it :giveup: 

Harry
1 hour ago, Oivind said:

I guess that's what he means. He has said in another interview that it was amazing to see how Mark Ronson works, so I'm sure he's not talking about him. But are industry/label people as bad as he says? They let Lady Gaga make Joanne, how bad can they be?

There's so many possible variables. To assume that it's all cool because the album is out is a pretty simplistic view imo. It could be that she wanted more control over it and what we eventually got was not entirely her vision, it could be that she fought a long time to allow them to release it. It could be that it had nothing to do with Gaga and more with his interactions with them, the contracting/royalties etc. 

Archived