đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Father John Misty says he has no interest working with "pop stars"

monketsharona

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Bradley Cooper said:

LMAO that is the last thing he wants, attention.

Why do you think that? He certainly say things which are bound to grab attention, like when he told about his visit to a Taylor Swift concert. And to me he seems to cultivate his image every bit as much as pop stars, his image is just different. Nothing wrong with being conscious about his image, though. I just don't buy into this idea that indie artists like him are these real, authentic, true artists only concerned about their music, and that what they do is completely different from what pop stars do. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pharamon
1 hour ago, heavymetall0v3r said:

MESS but i agree

Its sad that Gaga (and all pop stars imo) are given all the best songwriters but if they have one commercial failure (And we've had a few), all the flop Chainsmokers and Skrillex's wont work with them

Interesting tho, i though Joanne was all about Gaga working with her true friends

I ALWAYS DID NEVER KNOW OR CARE ABOUT WHO THIS FATHER JOHN MISTY IS OR WAS SORRY NOT SORRY

5a2f71796c732bf2a3ff941dc86a31b4_bye-gif

Why would you mention Skrillex lol? He's his own brand and he doesnt look for collabs if its not genuine

truthteller
6 minutes ago, monketsharona said:

No that's what he actually said, he has no interest in working with Pop stars and he mentioned Lady Gaga

The interviewer mentioned Lady Gaga and Beyonce and asked about if there will be more collaborations with other pop stars. 

And he just said he had no interest in doing it (referring to more projects with pop acts).

Taking a soundbite to make people go unnecessarily emotional is still a clickbait title.

:derpga:

tbh, most collabs (beck, flo, etc.) on Joanne are probably a one-time thing so whatever

monketsharona
Just now, truthteller said:

tbh, most collabs (beck, flo, etc.) on Joanne are probably a one-time thing so whatever

yeah that's the vibe of Joanne, not sure she's interested in this forever. I already feel like she moved on from that 3 months period in which she was in that indie mood..

JustifyMyLove

It was said several times that when Gaga played demos to Interscope of the work w Mark they brought up FJM and Blood cause they missed something on her direction, so I guess that implies they played his music for her and she liked it so they worked together bc that + Interscope 

So he's saying the truth, but that was kinda rude I guess?? 

Also why do him tweet Gaga about Coachella in a positive way? Like this is a bit hypocrite if he really meant what he said in a bad way

Julia Volkova #1 stan

Well, his music sucks and Come To Mama is the worst song on Joanne so bye trash 👋🏻 

54 minutes ago, Bradley Cooper said:

He did not say that. He was just saying that pop stars in general are occasionally dissatisfied with how they have to conform to generic standards in order to 'sell', and they are prisoners of some sort. I actually think that his statement insinuated Beyonce and Gaga to be artists of higher artistic integrity and who chose not to stay complacent with their 'pop style' and therefore ventured for something different.

He did talk about pop music as a sausage factory, though. He said he was curious about how the sausage is made. I can understand that description if he talks about how Max Martin makes music. Producers like that make lots of rhythm tracks, send them to topliners, singers who stand in the studio all day and try to come up with melodies, then songs are given to pop stars (who may take part in writing lyrics). But the way he described the creative process with Lady Gaga, I don't think he learned much about that "sausage factory" from working with her, because it sounds like Joanne was created in a more traditional manner, just jamming until something "sticks".

I also think Father John Misty has some romantic notions about how music ought to be created (and maybe about what is true art and what is not). I don't think the process rock musicians and indie artists use really is as different from Max Martin's process as they would have us believe. In both cases, there's a lot of random experimentation until something "sticks".

Fernster7

People here taking what he said as an opportunity to shade Joanne are stupid as hell.:awkney:

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

Panchecco

I just hope Gaga never reads this interview :smh::ohno: he seemed cool and friendly but if he thinks pop music and pop artists are calculated pieces of trash he can go back to writing his indie songs alone :green:

he says that he only wrote for Gaga and Bey because someone else made them listen to his music BUT he still made the decision to collaborate with them which means he didn't mind at all getting paid for writing pop songs for pop female artists :tea:

Father John Misty CancelleT :staymad:

Infinity Wave
1 hour ago, Bradley Cooper said:

This fanbase is so volatile. Whoever that hates Gaga = bad. whoever that likes Gaga = good. Not to mention FJM didn't even say that he didn't like Gaga, he just has no interest in making pop music.

Form your independent opinion, this is embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Bradley Cooper said:

I mean, I don't like how strong your words describing this fanbase are (out of respect) but I have to concur that this fanbase doesn't think before they write.

I think that this fanbase is just reacting to someone who Gaga really considered a friend (she described all the producers of Joanne as friends or close people) and who now talks about her as an empty girl who is just stuck into an empty and pretentious music genre, while the only pretentious thing here is him trying not to associate himself with "basic" pop stars because he only worked with them cuz someone asked him to.

That's so embarassing and childish, like, he's basically saying "I worked with Beyoncé and Gaga because they paid me", and that's so sad to hear. He's shading his own work, he's shading two women who believed in him, he's shading a music genre and all the pop musicians and singers.

That's sad, childish and embarassing, beacuse by telling all thos things you understand that he considers himself better than all those basic singers and songwriter, who had the "priviledge" to work with him. You understand he considers himself their savior, whitout whom they wouldn't have got any idea for their album. Can't you really look at how pretentious he is?

I think that our fanbase is just reacting to this.

This is my independent opinion, and I'm not changing my mind on such masterpieces like Sinner's Prayer or Come To Mama. I just formed my opinion on the co-writer of those two marvellous songs.

Colourful

CautiousLurker

What irked me about this is that he sounds like an a**hole and he didn't say anything smart.

He makes it sound like most people are blind to the fact that pop music is manufactured or 'calculated', but that's a very popular opinion, even among pop artists.

And I can kinda see where he's coming from, because he seems to be specifically annoyed by the fact that people don't mind it in pop, but they do mind it when it comes to the indie scene. Not a good excuse to be an a** though - just ignore irrelevant criticism, cuz someone will always be unhappy with what you make. Certain forms of entertainment draw more criticism - that's just how it is.

Nudity or semi-nudity can be empowering. Do some people use it just to make money? Sure. Is it insincere for every single pop artist? No.

And he mentions that he was the one approached to write for Beyonce and Gaga... as if that's a special thing. That's how things work - sometimes you apply for a chance to get a job, and sometimes you get offers when specific people see your work, it's hardly note-worthy. 

truthteller
1 minute ago, Panchecco said:

I just hope Gaga never reads this interview :smh::ohno: he seemed cool and friendly but if he thinks pop music and pop artists are calculated pieces of trash he can go back to writing his indie songs alone :green:

he says that he only wrote for Gaga and Bey because someone else made them listen to his music BUT he still made the decision to collaborate with them which means he didn't mind at all getting paid for writing pop songs for pop female artists :tea:

i dont think he can get paid that much from one of the 13? writers on Hold Up :gaycat:

Infinity Wave
1 minute ago, Panchecco said:

Totally thiis tbh

Colourful

freebit

Father John Misty forever reminds me of that line in the Talking Heads song Psycho Killer - "you're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything." He takes forever to get to a point. :saladga:

He doesn't mean to insult her, but he does anyway. In short: He knows better than Gaga and Beyonce since his music has SO much integrity. Those poor girls come to him just to end the monotony of their basic songs. And by the way, he's tired of getting hated on by indie blogs for being contrived while they praise these underserving half-naked female performers. They are more contrived than him! etc, and so-on. :madge:

I don't care that he's "in-character", or that Gaga, a female in a male-dominated, male-gazey industry, has said she's felt "like a prisoner" before. Like **** trying to defend him here. He's an asshole.

1 hour ago, Yanko said:

i just want godone back :giveup:   he has never talked smack behind her back  

He kind of dragged her work on ARTPOP and said he felt creatively stifled on Born this Way. Which seems ridiculous when it's the most sonically exciting music he's ever made compared to the Ibiza circa 2012 bops that he's eternally making, but whatever. 

Archived