💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Father John Misty says he has no interest working with "pop stars"

monketsharona

Featured Posts

monketsharona

You helped write Beyoncé’s “Hold Up” and a couple of songs on Lady Gaga’s latest album. Do you still like pop music?

The more important question is: What does the word “like” mean?

To have a genuine reaction to something—an enjoyment that is not ironic.

OK, let me tell you as someone who made a grotesque foray into this world—because I have also been subjected to this music my whole life and wanted to know how the sausage was made just out of ****ing morbid curiosity—there is nothing not wildly audience-tested and calculated about this ****ing music. Exempting myself from this conversation, the people who get accused of being calculated? Psht! It’s truly a joke.

What do you mean by that?

Someone in the indie world is more likely to be accused by other indie people of being over-thinking, calculated psychos, when this whole ****ing world of pop music has been [calculated]. It’s all this bourgeois bullshit. It’s neo-Orientalism. It’s basically like, “Since I’m special and exist in a place of pure exemption, then this thing that the normies like is the working man’s music.” There could not be a more potent form of soft bigotry than that whole thing.

I get to say this as someone who does not listen to that music in that way. If you asked me: “Have I ever enjoyed pop music?” Yes! Of course. If I am in a dance club and I am drunk and I’m with a beautiful woman or a group of friends, and a fun song comes on, that’s one thing. But you’re talking about people who are talking about this music, sitting at their desks, listening to 100 other songs that are indie songs and going, “I’m sick of this. This indie **** is too indie. Blegh!”

When you lionize pop music, you lionize the very thing that feminism purports to be against, which is a culture of exploitation and overcharging. Which is what cracks me the **** up when you read these ridiculous puff pieces about how wonderful major-labor pop music is, and the whole ****ing industry is run like you actually buy into the idea that that woman that’s onstage, wearing next to nothing, is powerful. Because that is like being a child.

So you probably won’t write for pop stars again then?

If you think that pop stars are anything other than prisoners, then you are ****ing kidding yourself. I know them. They are crying for help in their music. We think that we’re doing the world a favor by recognizing the innate wholesomeness of this form of music, like, “Oh, I don’t know, it’s just fun! Something that was made to be liked!” But why do you think that Lady Gaga or Beyoncé would come to old Uncle Jerry over here for songs if they weren’t looking for something? If they weren’t like, “Get me away from these ****ing psychos.” Both of them know I’m not running around looking for these gigs. I’ve just done co-writes with those two people. The only reason it happened is because people played them my music and then they asked me to write for them. It’s as simple as that. I have no interest in doing it.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interview/10041-here-is-the-scandalous-father-john-misty-interview-youve-been-waiting-for/

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
heavymetall0v3r

MESS but i agree

Its sad that Gaga (and all pop stars imo) are given all the best songwriters but if they have one commercial failure (And we've had a few), all the flop Chainsmokers and Skrillex's wont work with them

Interesting tho, i though Joanne was all about Gaga working with her true friends

I ALWAYS DID NEVER KNOW OR CARE ABOUT WHO THIS FATHER JOHN MISTY IS OR WAS SORRY NOT SORRY

5a2f71796c732bf2a3ff941dc86a31b4_bye-gif

The angriest twink on GagaDaily.

KURUSHITOVSKA

That's why he released his demo, to say "hey i wrote this"

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

Kermit the frog

This is sad to hear, yet I have a hard time comprehending his incoherent babble.

heavymetall0v3r

THIS MAKES NO SENSE EITHER LIKE WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT

USE ENGLISH

The angriest twink on GagaDaily.

Sorcerer

This is sad and disappointing since Gaga actually made me listen to his interesting music.

Oh well. Gotta cut someone off this picture.

CvOIvMYWAAA9vnm.jpg

untitled

He sounds like one of those crazy conspiracy theorists on YouTube :duck:

💋 Lead Me to War With Your Brilliant Erection 🚬

Batwings

This... really disappoints me. I enjoyed his music long before he ever collaborated with Gaga, but this is some of the most bullsh*t pretentious psychobabble I've ever read. If he hates pop music so much, then maybe he shouldn't collaborate with pop artists. 

Hades

I live cause monsters were praising him and saying how Gaga only works with high class people. Now they'll drag him.:toofunny:

monketsharona

I think everything she said about her time working on this album with 'the perfect team' was a ****ing mess tbh. To me it always felt exaggerated to promote a coming album. 

Mark my work most of the people she worked with on Joanne won't be back. 

Swan Heart

So he's basically saying the pop music industry is **** and he doesn't want to have anything to do with it anymore. Nothing new.

What really bugs me here is that he did came off a bit arrogant in this. But I doubt he has anything against Gaga, he talked about writing with her and from what I remember he said it was a lot of fun. Plus, I believe he tweeted her 2-3 weeks ago saying that he cant wait to see her at Coachella. Its all good.

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

Archived