interview

Father John Misty says he has no interest working with "pop stars"

monketsharona

Featured Posts

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aga Gydal

He obviously hates the pop industry (understandable) and is saying that Gaga and Beyonce reached out to him because they wanted a flavor that wasn't generic, focus-tested samey stuff. I hope people don't get foolish on Twitter thinking he's attacking those artists or something. He's just being shady toward the whole scene. 

On 3/19/2017 at 5:13 AM, Bloody Matt said:

That's a shame. I love CTM

Spoiler

and SP

:lolly:.

spread love and peace with every intention. Cherish everything u have. Be Yourself

On 3/19/2017 at 10:27 PM, myCD said:

WHAT A F* DOUCHE lol

he doesn't realize he's also talking about himself. he talks about as if he was "working class"? f* outta here.

douche.

this is so flawless. Gaga is so smart.

they are gems inside the f* outstanding album and overall work of art that is Joanne.

this guy is a hypocrite.

Yikes. Did you actually read the article? Because the title is very misleading. He says nothing about "not wanting to work with Gaga," what he does say is that he doesn't like the pop industry -- and he gives a very fair reason for that. He thinks it restricts the artists (in this case Gaga and Beyonce) and that may be the reason both artists reached out to him -- to loosen up their sound. 

12 hours ago, Aga Gydal said:

He obviously hates the pop industry (understandable) and is saying that Gaga and Beyonce reached out to him because they wanted a flavor that wasn't generic, focus-tested samey stuff. I hope people don't get foolish on Twitter thinking he's attacking those artists or something. He's just being shady toward the whole scene. 

Both Lady Gaga and Beyonce would have done very well without him, though. And let's not forget he said this:

"OK, let me tell you as someone who made a grotesque foray into this world—because I have also been subjected to this music my whole life and wanted to know how the sausage was made just out of ****ing morbid curiosity—there is nothing not wildly audience-tested and calculated about this ****ing music."

Contributing on Joanne and Lemonade is a "grotesque foray"? One album full of contributions from other indie artists, one album which is one of 2016's most critically acclaimed albums. Those were the albums he contributed on to see how the sausage is made?

Aga Gydal
4 hours ago, Oivind said:

Both Lady Gaga and Beyonce would have done very well without him, though. And let's not forget he said this:

"OK, let me tell you as someone who made a grotesque foray into this world—because I have also been subjected to this music my whole life and wanted to know how the sausage was made just out of ****ing morbid curiosity—there is nothing not wildly audience-tested and calculated about this ****ing music."

Contributing on Joanne and Lemonade is a "grotesque foray"? One album full of contributions from other indie artists, one album which is one of 2016's most critically acclaimed albums. Those were the albums he contributed on to see how the sausage is made?

I mean he obviously has a bias against the industry itself, and he's praised both those artists so it's not like he was dragging his feet through the mud to work with them. I'm sure both those women have shared their grievances about pop music to him which validate his opinions somewhat. It just sounds like he's saying "yeah I worked with these pop stars, I hate the pop industry though because it's so calculated and inauthentic."

RainingOnMe
On 3/19/2017 at 5:07 AM, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

That's why he released his demo, to say "hey i wrote this"

He didn't 100% write that. 

Based on what Mark Ronson has said, Gaga and this cowboy wrote Come To Mama and Sinner's Prayer in 2015. Joshua only sung that demo to see how his and Gaga's lyrics would play out in that style. It's so wrong of people to say that Gaga stole his song, even he acts like it. He needs to get over himself.

FrozenKookie

God, I read the thread title as "Father John Misty Says He Has No Internet Working With Gaga" lol.

heavymetall0v3r
On 3/19/2017 at 10:29 PM, Bradley Cooper said:

This is what I call overreaction and y'all obviously didn't read the whole thing and only read OP's title.

Actually im referring to Father john misty not the title...

The angriest twink on GagaDaily.

MelbHawker

How disappointing. I hope she never works with him again... his ignorance and lack of respect for other artists is so surprising, it's baffling. It's like he's saying 'they ask me for help cuz without me their music is sh*t'. It's actually quite pathetic. 

GABEL

If my memory serves right, he also  praised Gaga and Bey in his previous interview and he also claimed that can't wait to see gaga at Coachella so I won't take this too seriously.
Maybe he's a little ignorant but he's right about the prisoner's part, and that doesn't mean he dislike gaga.

GABEL

I think he means this industry forced Gaga and Beyonce to do something trendy, which they refused to, so they turned to him to make something special.
And he just doesn't fond of being categorized as someone who like to make music for pop singer.
(he even wrote "bedding Taylor Swift" in his new song"Total Entertainment Forever" to make fun of pop music, he truly is a pop-music industry hater.)

On 3/19/2017 at 5:13 PM, FATCAT said:

Lowkey he sounds strung out on something :rip:

from his wikipedia page: 

Tillman struggles with severe depression and anxiety, and currently self-medicates with micro-doses of LSD

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: 

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

Roomingfree77
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:01 AM, monketsharona said:

You helped write Beyoncé’s “Hold Up” and a couple of songs on Lady Gaga’s latest album. Do you still like pop music?

The more important question is: What does the word “like” mean?

To have a genuine reaction to something—an enjoyment that is not ironic.

OK, let me tell you as someone who made a grotesque foray into this world—because I have also been subjected to this music my whole life and wanted to know how the sausage was made just out of ****ing morbid curiosity—there is nothing not wildly audience-tested and calculated about this ****ing music. Exempting myself from this conversation, the people who get accused of being calculated? Psht! It’s truly a joke.

What do you mean by that?

Someone in the indie world is more likely to be accused by other indie people of being over-thinking, calculated psychos, when this whole ****ing world of pop music has been [calculated]. It’s all this bourgeois bullshit. It’s neo-Orientalism. It’s basically like, “Since I’m special and exist in a place of pure exemption, then this thing that the normies like is the working man’s music.” There could not be a more potent form of soft bigotry than that whole thing.

I get to say this as someone who does not listen to that music in that way. If you asked me: “Have I ever enjoyed pop music?” Yes! Of course. If I am in a dance club and I am drunk and I’m with a beautiful woman or a group of friends, and a fun song comes on, that’s one thing. But you’re talking about people who are talking about this music, sitting at their desks, listening to 100 other songs that are indie songs and going, “I’m sick of this. This indie **** is too indie. Blegh!”

When you lionize pop music, you lionize the very thing that feminism purports to be against, which is a culture of exploitation and overcharging. Which is what cracks me the **** up when you read these ridiculous puff pieces about how wonderful major-labor pop music is, and the whole ****ing industry is run like you actually buy into the idea that that woman that’s onstage, wearing next to nothing, is powerful. Because that is like being a child.

So you probably won’t write for pop stars again then?

If you think that pop stars are anything other than prisoners, then you are ****ing kidding yourself. I know them. They are crying for help in their music. We think that we’re doing the world a favor by recognizing the innate wholesomeness of this form of music, like, “Oh, I don’t know, it’s just fun! Something that was made to be liked!” But why do you think that Lady Gaga or Beyoncé would come to old Uncle Jerry over here for songs if they weren’t looking for something? If they weren’t like, “Get me away from these ****ing psychos.” Both of them know I’m not running around looking for these gigs. I’ve just done co-writes with those two people. The only reason it happened is because people played them my music and then they asked me to write for them. It’s as simple as that. I have no interest in doing it.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interview/10041-here-is-the-scandalous-father-john-misty-interview-youve-been-waiting-for/

sometimes their portfolio is a little bit too diversified for there own well being and it takes a lot away from the quality of the content they are trying to produce in music and believe me...somethings you just cant cheat or circumvent your way around it...:)

Archived