18 hours ago, Totodile said:

Is it bad that I only know Can't Feel My Face? :sharon:

Starboy?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Economy
1 hour ago, TheBatman said:

We all have our own idea of what constitutes an "icon." So this is just my personal opinion.

Beyonce is the last giant global icon of pop. T.Swift, Beiber, Rihanna, and Adele are the closest to being that, but they fall short. The thing about Beyonce , like Madonna, MJ, Prince, Bowie, Whitney, is every thing she does is a global news story, she is lauded critically and commercially, and every week there are new think-pieces about her. She is discussed from an art history perspective, and from a broader social perspective bcause of the causes she talks about. 

T. Swift and Adele sell MASSIVE amounts, but people don't care about their opinions or see them as infinitely cool, and want to know and follow everything about them. Beiber is pretty much never critically acclaimed and just doesn't have any sort of "cool" factor unless you are a very young demographic. Rihanna SHOULD be an icon, but for some reason, even though she is massive, people just don't care about her in that icon way. She doesn't take a loud stance about anything, or bring some huge creativity or provoke dialogue, she just keeps putting out great music tho.

There are a million reasons Gaga should be an icon, but people just don't care about her like that. Gaga can say or do something hugely outrageous, and it might not even make the news at all. ;-( A true icon captures the imagination of the general population to such a huge degree, like Britney did (who I would call a legend but not an icon of music, because her music is not great or interesting and she is not considered an artist or singer)

Katy Perry, same boat, just not that interesting overall, not making any real statement in line with the zeitgeist. 

I agree but critical acclaim and whether or not they are talented or whether ppl care isnt really what i was refering to

your going a level above like legendary status

Im just refering to artists that last for sometime, are known to everyone and basically are the top names in the industry

there hasnt really been many new ones lately

Economy
3 hours ago, Sepsami said:

Imagine if we get another music giant a la Gaga :diane:completely turning the industry on it's head

I'd love to see a male do it. The last ones that did it were Prince, MJ, Bowie and Freddy, and to a lesser extent Adam Lambert :diane:

Didnt he only have like 2 hits??? :oprah: 

Economy
2 hours ago, giskardsb said:

I just wrote this on another thread but it applies more here:

Pop stars are designed to have short relevance in the pop world for quick hits.  It's the way the pop industry works and it's a problem because the industry is constantly throwing people away and looking for the next young pop phenom and won't allow anyone to grow or take control of their own careers.   A few artists manage to fight against that and find their own way, and it's usually those that have a distinct and individual talent and strong self identities.  

I was listening to KRBE Houston the other day ( I rarely listen to pop radio) and it strikes me how many of the current singers all sound more or less the same, like interchangeable parts.  They won't have long careers.

I kind of agree, but then it makes sense for every label to have at least a few big artists

Only big established artists can make big money on tours and things like endorsements...

Singles dont make almost any money anymore and even albums these days its hard to make any money so u need to establish a fan base so u can tour big

A bounch of artists with 1 or 2 hits makes less money than fewer larger artists that can tour and endorse

The Child
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

Didnt he only have like 2 hits??? :oprah: 

He's nowhere popular though, no one knows in worldwidely and I'm sure the GP can't even name one song from him.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Economy
2 minutes ago, CrazyMonster said:

He's nowhere popular though, no one knows in worldwidely and I'm sure the GP can't even name one song from him.

Hence why i didnt understand him being brought up along with big male artists like MJ or Prince

Even Ed Sheraan and the ChainSmokers have pretty much already surpassed his success :rip: 

Poor beyonce :emma:

𝕞đ•Ș đ•“đ•šđ•˜đ•˜đ•–đ•€đ•„ 𝕖𝕟𝕖𝕞đ•Ș đ•šđ•€ 𝕞𝕖, 𝕡𝕠𝕡 𝕒 𝟡𝟙𝟙

giskardsb
1 hour ago, Economy said:

I kind of agree, but then it makes sense for every label to have at least a few big artists

Only big established artists can make big money on tours and things like endorsements...

Singles dont make almost any money anymore and even albums these days its hard to make any money so u need to establish a fan base so u can tour big

A bounch of artists with 1 or 2 hits makes less money than fewer larger artists that can tour and endorse

This is true but makes it even harder for artists to stick around if they aren't instant hit making machines. Movies have the same issue with businesses stuck in a blockbuster business model. 

Economy
5 minutes ago, Totodile said:

:oprah: giphy.gif

What country do u live in?

Cuz if u live in North America with the smash that Starboy was and several other songs of his... no offence but u livin under that rock :air: 

Head Empty
1 minute ago, Economy said:

What country do u live in?

Cuz if u live in North America with the smash that Starboy was and several other songs of his... no offence but u livin under that rock :air: 

The Netherlands.

But I also only found out about Uptown Funk almost a year after its release, and apparently it was huge over here as well :diane:

Economy
3 minutes ago, Totodile said:

The Netherlands.

But I also only found out about Uptown Funk almost a year after its release, and apparently it was huge over here as well :diane:

:awkney: 

Head Empty
4 minutes ago, Economy said:

:awkney: 

I dont listen to the radio and I never look at charts :diane:

Shocking, I know :diane:

xoxo cupcakke
21 hours ago, Heterophobia said:

You forgot CupcakKe 

giphy.gif

Girl, she has yet to peak. CakKe4 coming for edges and scalps

giphy.gif

Shaney
20 hours ago, CrazyMonster said:

If only I could sing and dance I would have become a proud bisexual pop singer who's not afraid to take risks.

But hey Katy & Selena who can't sing nor dance became pop singers so why not me? :ladyhaha:

Hey I can sing but I dance like Lorde

Archived