Hi Its Nicole
12 hours ago, Acsnpdx8 said:

I hope this is sarcasm...

It is, I edited it

Hello Gaga

Hi Its Nicole
46 minutes ago, Princess Stache said:

Then get off Gaga daily hater.

I edited it sorry I'm soooo stupid I was really tired and drunk and forgot what it meant

Hello Gaga

Sepsami
15 hours ago, Edonis said:

There aren't that many interesting new mainstream pop acts that are willing to take risks and change pop. Everyone is pretty much playing it safe or acting like promo is a part time job. Tbh, I don't see it happening anytime soon, but someone new is bound to appear and change the industry. Either that, or Gaga is gonna shake things up with LG6 :poot:

Imagine if we get another music giant a la Gaga :diane:completely turning the industry on it's head

I'd love to see a male do it. The last ones that did it were Prince, MJ, Bowie and Freddy, and to a lesser extent Adam Lambert :diane:

Sepsami
14 hours ago, CrazyMonster said:

Me too and I really want pop male artists to be less lazy and bring full choreos and amazing visuals.

It would probably be considered too flamboyant by the GP :toofunny:

cuz Dr. Luke, Max Martin and RedOne were sleeping 

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

giskardsb

I just wrote this on another thread but it applies more here:

Pop stars are designed to have short relevance in the pop world for quick hits.  It's the way the pop industry works and it's a problem because the industry is constantly throwing people away and looking for the next young pop phenom and won't allow anyone to grow or take control of their own careers.   A few artists manage to fight against that and find their own way, and it's usually those that have a distinct and individual talent and strong self identities.  

I was listening to KRBE Houston the other day ( I rarely listen to pop radio) and it strikes me how many of the current singers all sound more or less the same, like interchangeable parts.  They won't have long careers.

Pacify Him

Cuz they miss the old PopGa and so they couldn't do well. They're waiting for her to make a new and interesting formula before they could tag along :diane:

I’m getting on your nerves

TheBatman

We all have our own idea of what constitutes an "icon." So this is just my personal opinion.

Beyonce is the last giant global icon of pop. T.Swift, Beiber, Rihanna, and Adele are the closest to being that, but they fall short. The thing about Beyonce , like Madonna, MJ, Prince, Bowie, Whitney, is every thing she does is a global news story, she is lauded critically and commercially, and every week there are new think-pieces about her. She is discussed from an art history perspective, and from a broader social perspective bcause of the causes she talks about. 

T. Swift and Adele sell MASSIVE amounts, but people don't care about their opinions or see them as infinitely cool, and want to know and follow everything about them. Beiber is pretty much never critically acclaimed and just doesn't have any sort of "cool" factor unless you are a very young demographic. Rihanna SHOULD be an icon, but for some reason, even though she is massive, people just don't care about her in that icon way. She doesn't take a loud stance about anything, or bring some huge creativity or provoke dialogue, she just keeps putting out great music tho.

There are a million reasons Gaga should be an icon, but people just don't care about her like that. Gaga can say or do something hugely outrageous, and it might not even make the news at all. ;-( A true icon captures the imagination of the general population to such a huge degree, like Britney did (who I would call a legend but not an icon of music, because her music is not great or interesting and she is not considered an artist or singer)

Katy Perry, same boat, just not that interesting overall, not making any real statement in line with the zeitgeist. 

juju

The last female artist to debut and really stick was Nicki Minaj - in 2010

We've had a slew of females follow, to varying degrees of success: namely Charli XCX, Tove Lo, Lana Del Rey, Iggy Azalea, Bebe Rexha, the list goes on and on and on. But have any of these had the impact/continued success and time in the spotlight as Minaj? Hardly.

As far as male artists, Drake and Bleiber were the lasts to debut and really stick. We've since had people like Nick Jonas and the Weeknd achieve certain levels of success, but they aren't at all at that level yet

The culture now is back in that phase of immediate gratification: they want what they want now, with little thought as to whether this person is going to serve them what they want continuously - there's no investment here in the brand of the artist, just their last catchy song. Which is why we see people come and go from the charts, and a lot of icons lingering at or near the top, but not necessarily at the tip top.

❤ x ❤

LilVenusian

In all truth there has not been any elite icons since the era of 80's superstars e.g Mj, Madonna, Prince etc. Back then popstars were a  mystery, they rarely gave interviews and the only place you could see them was the odd awards show or if mtv happened to be playing their video. Social media and youtube have made popstars so accessible that they become kind of mundane and boring and will therefore never reach that godly status that pop stars used to be able to reach. Cultural impact also used to be about music videos and live performances and now its literally deduced to whoever has the most memes on social media made about them. That's how you get people like The Weeknd and Drake being considered icons when they are really nothing of the sort. 

The Child
6 hours ago, Moqro said:

To MJ or Nicki?

Xtina lasted like 10 years but she lasted.

3 hours ago, Sepsami said:

It would probably be considered too flamboyant by the GP

Who cares? If it's good music they'll like it.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Archived