Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Beyonce - B'Day [Megarate Ceremony]

juju

Featured Posts

Greetings and welcome to Juju's first Megarate :heart: 

tumblr_lqzmoh5xCR1qlb2g5o1_500.gif

We will be reviewing the iconic and career-changing 2nd solo album from Queen Bey herself: the Grammy-award winning B'Day.

The album debuted at #1 on US Billboard 200 on September 4th 2006 (her 25th birthday!), to critical acclaim and first week sales of 541,000 (as of September 2013, the album had sold more than 8 million worldwide). It spawned three commercially-successful singles, as well as thirteen music videos to accompany the album, making it Beyoncé's first visual album. This Megarate will consist of the first disc of the North American Deluxe edition (minus the "hidden" track).

0Rh2p.gif

:heart: GUIDELINES :heart: 

[1] Rate each song between 1 and 10; you're allowed one score of an 11 for your favorite track, and one score of 0 if need be.

[2] Comments are welcome, but not mandatory! 

[3] If you intend to troll, please find something better to do with your time!

[4] Be respectful of other's opinions in the thread, and be mindful!

[5] The deadline for submissions will tentatively be March 10th. / Results on the same day!

[6] :heart: ENJOY YOURSELVES. :heart: 

giphy.gif

:heart: TRACKLISTING  :heart: 
PM me your rates and comments for the following songs:

1. Beautiful Liar (with Shakira)

2. Irreplaceable

3. Green Light

4. Kitty Kat

5. Welcome to Hollywood

6. Upgrade U (featuring Jay-Z)

7. Flaws and All

8. World Wide Woman

9. Get Me Bodied" (Extended Mix)

10. If

11. Freakum Dress

12. Suga Mama

13. Déjà Vu (featuring Jay-Z)

14. Ring the Alarm

15. Resentment

16. Listen

beyonce-2.gif

:heart:ICYMI : Bey-Of-The-Dey :heart: 

(2/23/17) Deja Vu

Spoiler
On 2/23/2017 at 8:06 PM, jujubae said:

Upon release, the video had fans *SHOOK*. Many felt underwhelmed (are they blind? :awkney: ) and even called for a petition for Bey to remake the video. Nevertheless, the video has now reached the echelon of the legend's best and most expressive videos, featuring beautifully iconic New Orleans scenery.

(2/24/17) Kitty Kat + Green Light

Spoiler
On 2/24/2017 at 1:00 PM, jujubae said:

Bey-Video-Of-The Day (this time, a double feature).

My favorite from B'Day, in at just under a minute, is Kitty Kat. An introduction to the Green Light video, KK is campy and fun and flirty. The song, although not released as a single, garnered strong enough airplay to chart at #66 on US Hot R&B/Hip Hop Songs.

Green Light is a funk song with an equally-funky video inspired by Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love". It was released as the fifth UK single, and seventh US single, from B'Day; it went on to peak at #12 on the UK Singles chart. Bey's all-female touring band, Suga Mama, makes an appearance in the video. The video (along with three others from B'Day, including Kitty Kat) was directed by Melina Matsoukas, who would go on to direct Lady Gaga's Just Dance and Beautiful Dirty Rich videos a year later!

(2/25/17) Freakum Dress

Spoiler
On 2/25/2017 at 7:27 PM, jujubae said:

The Bey-Video of the-Day:

Directed by Ray Kay (Poker Face, Whip My Hair, Til The World Ends), Freakum Dress features an 80's set and women of all ages and sizes proclaiming their independence along this fiery track. The funk/hip hop hybrid made for one of the most colorful videos of the album, featuring contestant Ebony Haith from the first cycle of America's Next Top Model.

(2/26/17) Irreplaceable 

Spoiler
On 2/26/2017 at 3:56 PM, jujubae said:

Today's Bey-of-the-Dey:

Bey's 4th #1 single as a solo artist, B'Day's biggest hit, and the twenty-fifth most successful song of the 2000s (decade) in the U.S., Irreplaceable is a mid-tempo pop record about infidelity. It became the cornerstone of the album, a moment that exposed many to the artist's catalog for a first time, and branched her evolution into an icon capable of any type of song.

(2/28/17) Suga Mama

Spoiler
On 2/28/2017 at 2:14 PM, jujubae said:

Bey-of-the-Dey: Suga Mama!

Filmed entirely in black and white, the Suga Mama video (directed by Melina Matsoukas yet again) features Bey riding a mechanical bull and doing some impressive gymnastic-like choreography. The soul/funk sound of the song can be attributed to Rich Harrison, although Bey's smooth vocals do most of the work here. Many considered Suga Mama to be a highlight off of B'Day. At the very least, it's become a fan favorite! 

(3/2/17) Ring the Alarm (+ VMA Performance)

Spoiler
On 3/2/2017 at 11:12 PM, jujubae said:

Bey-Of-The-Dey:

Ring the Alarm was released as the second US single on Oct. 17th, 2006; it debuted at #12 on the US Billboard Hot 100, becoming Bey's highest US debut at the time. The video, directed by Sophie Muller (of No Doubt/Gwen Stefani fame) was based on the film Basic Instinct, and quickly became one of Bey's most analyzed videos. The icon also brought the banger to the 2006 MTV Video Music Awards, for an electrifying performance that recalled Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation".

(3/3/17) Flaws and All

Spoiler
On 3/3/2017 at 1:50 PM, jujubae said:

:heart: Bey-of-the-Dey :heart: 

One of the most personal songs found on B'Day, Flaws and All shows a different side of the icon; the video, shot by Cliff Watts and Beyoncé herself on Super 8 film, features the performer out of performance; instead, she's shown goofing off and just being herself. As she puts it: "I don't sing any of the song. The whole time it's like a silent movie and I'm being myself. I'm not performing. I reveal a side of myself no one's ever seen. I'm silly and goofy and not...trying to be a diva, or trying to be a star – just me."

(3/4/17) Still In Love (Kissing You)

Spoiler
On 3/4/2017 at 6:20 PM, jujubae said:

:heart: Bey-Of-The-Dey  :heart: 

Originally included on the deluxe version of B'Day, this cover of the Des'ree song "Kissing You" was later replaced by "If" after a lawsuit was filed against Beyoncé (the lawsuit was later dismissed). The video, shot by Cliff Watts, features a stripped down Bey on the beach. It's a rather intimate glimpse of the singer, as she put into her own words: "[The video] feels like something you shouldn't be seeing, like you found a home video. It's very raw: no retouching, no special effects. That's who I am. You can see my soul."

(3/5/17) Listen (+ Grammy Performance)

Spoiler
On 3/5/2017 at 5:04 PM, jujubae said:

:heart: Bey-of-the-Dey :heart: 

A song written for the 2006 film adaptation - in which Beyoncé starred - of the 1981 Broadway musical Dreamgirls, Listen is a power ballad and has two separate videos. The first, appearing on the B'Day Anthology Video Album, features Knowles in a performance hall belting the song, with clips of the film interwoven throughout. The second, featured on the Dreamgirls DVD release, has the singer against a plain backdrop while delivering an emotional rendition alongside several scenes from the film. The song was brought to life at the 2007 Grammy Awards, where many applauded it as one of the best performances of the night.

(3/6/17) Get Me Bodied

Spoiler
On 3/6/2017 at 3:05 PM, jujubae said:

x BEY-of-the-DEY x

"Setting the tone" alongside Kelly, Michelle, and Solange, Beyoncé's biggest extravaganza for the B'Day video shoots would definitely be this extended mix of Get Me Bodied, the seventh overall (and final US) single release from B'Day. Inspired by 60's choreography, Bob Fosse, and the musical Sweet Charity, the video features a vintage Beyoncé and her friends as they take us through various choreographed numbers alongside a plethora of extras at a very retro get-together.  It's fast paced and cinematic, having been described by critics as "showstopping", and often appears on lists featuring the best of Beyoncé's videos, having gone viral on multiple platforms. The song itself peaked at #46 on the BB Hot 100, but rose to #5 on Billboard's R&B Songs chart.

(3/7/17) Beautiful Liar

Spoiler
On 3/7/2017 at 0:35 PM, jujubae said:

A few years before Telephone had slain a generation and set the standard for music videos everywhere and forever more, Beyoncé's first major pop collaboration was with Colombian singer/humanitarian/icon Shakira for the single Beautiful Liar. Peaking at #1 on charts across the world, the single reached the #3 spot on US Billboard Hot 100, and at the time experienced the largest upward movement on that chart (until 2008, that is). The video was filmed in two days; because of hectic schedules, the production team wasn't able to coordinate choreography for the two titans. The end result was the product of 40 minutes of on-the-spot choreographing and rehearsing, with many of the moves originating from Shakira herself - the star taught Beyoncé belly-dancing moves to fit with the songs vibe. The climax of the video features the two singers looking identical in a room covered in Avestan writing, making for a truly epic final dance sequence. Fans of the aforementioned Telephone might rest a little easier knowing that Beyoncé and Shakira never once performed Beautiful Liar together, the latter never having performed the song at all.

(3/8/17) Upgrade U

Spoiler
On 3/8/2017 at 6:37 PM, jujubae said:

:heart:Bey-of-the-Dey  :heart: 

Featuring one of Beyoncé's most iconic scenes and another collaboration with soon-to-be husband Jay-Z, Upgrade U is one of B'Day's fiercest tracks. Braggadocio-Bey comes to slay on a track about upgrading her man's life with luxury and class; the video is equally as grandiose, featuring a lot of gold, chic outfits, and even a baby alligator. The video's most noteworthy moment is, by far, Bey's impersonation of Jay-Z; according to reports, the rapper's verses were recorded first, with Bey studying his behavior and doing her own take soon after. According to director and frequent collaborator Melina Matsoukas, "If anybody knows Jay-Z, it would be Beyoncé". Because of the song's popularity on urban radio, it was released as a promotional single for the album, going on to chart at #59 on Billboard's Hot 100 and #11 on its Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts.

(3/9/17) Anthology Behind the Scenes

Spoiler
On 3/9/2017 at 11:17 AM, jujubae said:

Featured at the tail-end of the B'Day Anthology Video Album, The Making of B'Day (Behind The Scenes) gives a look at the creation process of each video from the era. It's a very interesting peak into the mind and art of Beyoncé as well as her collaborators; it runs on nearly 18 minutes and has a watermark, but if you can power through, it is definitely worth a watch. Thanks for staying tuned to Bey-of-the-Dey, and see you all at the results ceremony. :heart: 

freakum-6.gif

:heart: Megarate Results :heart: 

[Ceremony begins Here]

Spoiler

16. Flaws and All (6.35)
15. Welcome to Hollywood (6.60)
14. If (6.70)
13. World Wide Woman (6.80)
12. Resentment (7.00)
11. Kitty Kat (7.75)

[TOP TEN]

10. Suga Mama (8.40)
9. Green Light (8.50
8. Listen (8.65)
7. Irreplaceable (8.80)
6. Freakum Dress (8.85)
5. Deja Vu (9.00)
4. Beautiful Liar (9.10)
3. Ring the Alarm (9.60)
2. Get Me Bodied (9.75)

[THE WINNER OF THE B'DAY MEGARATE IS...]

1. Upgrade U (9.80)

Many thanks to the following for making this possible! Until next time! xx

Spoiler
❤ x ❤

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Borislshere

The hardest part about this will be not giving each song 10/10 

tumblr_inline_ol8qt7dRIi1qc7g7w_500.gif

Spoiler

except beautiful liar but..... :madge:

Just now, petedagrk said:

Whatever happened to the megarate!!!!!

Don't visit my profile

Thomas P

FINALLY OMG ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITES!!!

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Appreciate the mention, but Lemonade is the only album from her where I liked half or more of the songs :reductive:

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

1 minute ago, lilmonster93 said:

Appreciate the mention, but Lemonade is the only album from her where I liked half or more of the songs :reductive:

Blasphemy........4, B'day, Sasha Fierce and ST say hello lol

Bey bless you for the promo @petedagrk :diane: And the two Princesses with the best of taste, @Devyn and @Pablo, the only two who have my back. :heart: 

6 minutes ago, Thomas P said:

FINALLY OMG ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITES!!!

RIGHT?? It's my favorite Bey album, without a doubt.

3 minutes ago, lilmonster93 said:

Sure you don't want to try something new? :neyde: 

❤ x ❤

11 minutes ago, jujubae said:

Bey bless you for the promo @petedagrk :diane: And the two Princesses with the best of taste, @Devyn and @Pablo, the only two who have my back. :heart: 

RIGHT?? It's my favorite Bey album, without a doubt.

I'd have to say 4 or Sasha Fierce is my fave Bey album but in order

4=Sasha Fierce

BEYONCE

B'day

DIL

Lemonade

1 minute ago, petedagrk said:

Blasphemy........4, B'day, Sasha Fierce and ST say hello lol

4 (funny because I like less than that number on the album), B'day (I used to like more of the album when I was younger and it 1st came out but most of the songs didn't end up staying with me), Sasha Fierce (same as B'day), ST (All the songs are ok, but I only liked a few of them enough to download).

1 minute ago, jujubae said:

How would it be new if I already heard the album? :oprah:

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

Just now, lilmonster93 said:

How would it be new if I already heard the album? :oprah:

Idk, re-listen, re-engage, re-analyze? :oprah: 

Don't do it for me, do it for B.

giphy.gif

❤ x ❤

Just now, Dr Evil said:

Definitely doing this.:cool: 

Is that you Dionysis :diane: you HAVE to contribute!!! 

❤ x ❤

Archived