💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

CTTR Video Analysis Discussion

Jenina

Featured Posts

Jenina

With the release of Katy Perry's new music video, Chained to the Rhythm, it brings about the question of what everything means. I wanted to know little things that all of you have picked up on in this video.  Some things so far are the 1984 reference and the throwing of the black couple over a wall, likely about deportation.  What do you think the inferno water is a reference to? Here is just a place to discuss theories and things you may not understand.  What do you guys think or what are some things you noticed?

cool

Antichrist

My whole interpretation of the song before the MV was released + the MV now is basically people being brainwashed without even knowing. Masses following whatever is fed to them, not knowing what it's like to actually live & experience life at it's greatest.

Nuclear bomb references perhaps referring to the new cold war style paranoia surrounding Russia? The water referring to the problems we have with oil maybe? When she stops running on the hamster wheel at the end it seems like she's 'woken up' from being chained to a job and the western way of living? I just think there are so many things to question in this video

Jenina
3 minutes ago, Karl said:

The water referring to the problems we have with oil maybe? 

Yeah I think it seems likely that it is referring to fracking 

cool

Eighteen

i think it's about how people are so caught up in their social circles, social media, environments, and other comforts (their bubbles) that they are unable to see the trouble coming, in this case politically, because of donald trump. people waiting happily in line (the wait time 1983 hours, so the last person will arrive at the 1984th, a reference to george orwell's novel about authoritarianism), the roller coaster is perhaps a metaphor for the dangerous direction of US politics and people not caring, putting their hands up and enjoying the ride, presumably because they don't fully understand the danger, caught up in their bubbles. the lyric there is "we think we're free" when you're not really, but at the mercy of the roller coaster (politics and politicians). and of course the other rides are little windows into potential dangers like nuclear war with bombs away (donald trump advocated nuclear proliferation during his campaign), anti immigration policy with tossing people over the fence, the gas station a commentary on climate change (he appointed scott pruitt to head the environmental protection agency, a man who has been very anti EPA and pro fossil industry), fossil fuels, and pollution (the water is being destroyed by pollution in the case of the water being set on fire), the houses perhaps about the economy and how the american dream (to own a home) becomes further and further from touch because people aren't paid well and prices continue to go up (and also since the 2008 financial crises in the US was largely due to the housing market and mortgages going bad). toward the end, katy is woken up in a way to #RESIST

edit: also the cotton candy is in the shape of a nuclear explosion

ComeToMama
11 minutes ago, Antichrist said:

My whole interpretation of the song before the MV was released + the MV now is basically people being brainwashed without even knowing. Masses following whatever is fed to them, not knowing what it's like to actually live & experience life at it's greatest.

I agree. And i thought this was pretty clear. I dont get how so many people thought the video had no relfection on the meaning of the song.

It 100% is depecting a society getting comfortable (or brainwashed) and conforming to norms, even when the outcome is detrimental (people getting thrown off rides, running on the circle forever etc)

Antichrist
1 minute ago, ComeToMama said:

I agree. And i thought this was pretty clear. I dont get how so many people thought the video had no relfection on the meaning of the song.

It 100% is depecting a society getting comfortable (or brainwashed) and conforming to norms, even when the outcome is detrimental (people getting thrown off rides, running on the circle forever etc)

Couldn't put it better myself, I'm glad someone on GGD realizes such things :hug: 

Jenina

What about the part at the end of the roller coaster with the likes? Do you think its a message about the sexism in society today?

cool

Panchecco

I think the two main inspirations for the video were Trump's America and social media and how people "reacted" to them.

"Inferno water" might represent all the lies Trump said (or the #alternativefacts if you like), the people in Oblivia (which is also not random because it's from the word "Oblivion": lack of awareness or consciousness) drink the water like it's no big deal even though the water is clearly on fire; they drink it and they're happy about it, it's like they were told that it's ok to drink gasoline. It might also represent what the media wants us to believe (to drink).

The "Bombs Away!" ride and the cotton candy (shaped like an atomic bomb fire) might represent the war that Trump might bring to America and also the hatred that was at the base of his campaign.

The "Love Me" ride I read on twitter that might represent how society wants to control who we love (on the ride there are all straight couple, men on the seat with the "blue heart" and women on the other seat with the "pink heart"). Also when they're inside the "tunnell" you can see the emojis from Facebook and at the end of the ride Katy and "the boyfriend" are rated based on how many people liked them.

The people in the line like zombies might refer to consumism and might be a critic on how much time most people are willing to waste in order to stay in line (a 1983-hours-long line) to buy a new product or try the new sensation.

The hamster wheel could represent how we get stuck by following all those trends and superficial things but it might also represent the fact that we are trapped, just like the hamster in the lyrics video, and we eat and see whatever we are given (another media, Trump reference).

The giant white fence obviously represents the wall and on top of it there's written the message "Safe Trip Home" similar to the message on the suitcase next to the ride "No Place Like Home".

at the beginning of the video she cuts herself with a fake rose and at the end of the video she looks upset because she realizes how messed up and fake Oblivia (aka America) is.

The Child
8 minutes ago, hausofkc said:

Reminds me a lot of this movie 

Wonder if this was the thought process too. 

I love this movie! Didn't even think of it but now that you mentioned yeah Katy has definitely put many references from it in the video.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

hausofkc
Just now, CrazyMonster said:

I love this movie! Didn't even think of it but now that you mentioned yeah Katy has definitely put many references from it in the video.

I love it too. Literally the first thing I thought of when I watched the video. 

Jenina
1 minute ago, TCHIKITAH said:

My analysis is that maybe this should be discussed in a Katy related website :lolly:

We have different forums for a reason I'm not a Katy fan but I do like to appreciate a video in its entirety and I feel that can only be done if you can understand/notice the effort put into the video. There are obviously plenty of details in this video and I wish to understand that as well as many others do.  I'm not going to join a Katy website for one video if Im not a fan of her music I dont see this issue with discussing Entertainment in the Entertainment Forum

cool

Ferrer Zorola
4 minutes ago, TCHIKITAH said:

My analysis is that maybe this should be discussed in a Katy related website 

Girl, I'm a bit of a hater when it comes to Kety but if there's threads about 14 yo wanting to have sugar daddies we can analyze a video. 

:saladga:

LIFE IS GOOD

Archived