💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Metallica’s Lars Ulrich Calls Lady Gaga Grammys Duet a ‘Clusterf—‘

Judas Society

Featured Posts

Judas Society
Spoiler

NOTE: This is an article published by People Magazine, originally by EW.com. (People magazine's article link below)

Metallica’s Lars Ulrich Calls Lady Gaga Grammys Duet a ‘Clusterf—‘

Lady Gaga’s duet with Metallica at Sunday’s Grammy Awards was a collaboration that, upon its announcement, surprised many; its participants, however, were blindsided by something else in the heat of the moment: technical difficulties.

Speaking to Julia Cunningham and Kyle Anderson on Tuesday morning, Metallica co-founder and drummer Lars Ulrich discussed malfunction-ridden performance, telling the L.A. Daily hosts the gig — which saw lead singer James Hetfield’s microphone failing for the first verse of “Moth Into Flame” — was a “clusterf—” in the best possible way.

“It was totally energetic and crazy. It was just energy and excitement and nuttiness, so her being right in my face just added to the whole exhilarating energy that was happening for those few minutes,” he said. “I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ve gotten 700 texts from people just saying the chaos and tornado-like energy of it really translated well on TV.”

Adele, who performed an emotional tribute to late singer George Michael at the Recording Academy’s 59th annual ceremony, similarly got off to a rocky start that night, restarting a cover of “Fastlove” due to vocal issues. Ulrich said Metallica, unlike the U.K. superstar, didn’t halt their set because of the microphone glitch’s technical nature.

“In the heat of that moment, it’s very difficult when you’re aware of the fact that something’s not functioning, [but] you don’t know where in the chain of possible mishaps [it could be]. You don’t know where that’s going on, so you really don’t have a choice other than to just keep battling on. It’s live television,” he said. “If it’s musical or creative… no disrespect to [Adele]… if it’s something that’s more of a screw-up, it’s like, OK, I can start it over, I screwed up. But when it’s technical, you don’t know if it’s just in our ear up onstage… A couple of people where like, ‘Why didn’t you stop the song?’ We didn’t know there was a problem… you have no choice but to carry on. The ensuing chaos and energy and complete over-the-top excitement… it was absolutely awesome.”

Despite the challenges of performing at the Grammys, Ulrich said he savored the creative spirit Gaga brought to the band’s hard-rocking energy.

“She’s sort of a metal chick at heart and has a reputation for growing up in that Jersey/New York metal scene and has a reputation of being super easy and cool, and I just threw [the idea of collaborating] at her,” he revealed. “We talked internally about having a female collaborator to sing one of the songs for the new album… it came together super organic and really quick… she’s very autonomous and independent and she makes her own decisions. She is the coolest, sweetest, most easygoing person you’ll ever meet.”

As for fans who didn’t quite understand the reason behind pairing a pop icon with one of the world’s most influential metal bands, Ulrich chalks the chemistry up to both parties’ mutual appreciation for performative bravura.

“[We thought] let’s not make this ‘Gaga and Metallica’ or ‘you and us,’ but let’s make it all of us, the five of us together,” he said. “[Gaga was] the fifth member of the band. It’s not two different worlds, it’s all of us together.”

Listen to Ulrich’s interview with Cunningham and Anderson above. L.A Daily airs daily at  7 p.m. ET on Entertainment Weekly Radio, SiriusXM channel 105.

http://people.com/music/grammys-2017-lady-gaga-metallica-lars-ulrich-response/?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

Read article above, including a recording of Lars' interview.

Lars Ulrich (Metallica drummer) mentioned in the article about how the collab with Gaga happened: 

“She’s sort of a metal chick at heart and has a reputation for growing up in that Jersey/New York metal scene and has a reputation of being super easy and cool, and I just threw [the idea of collaborating] at her,” he revealed. “We talked internally about having a female collaborator to sing one of the songs for the new album… it came together super organic and really quick… she’s very autonomous and independent and she makes her own decisions. She is the coolest, sweetest, most easygoing person you’ll ever meet.”

Lars went on to also say:

As for fans who didn’t quite understand the reason behind pairing a pop icon with one of the world’s most influential metal bands, Ulrich chalks the chemistry up to both parties’ mutual appreciation for performative bravura.

“[We thought] let’s not make this ‘Gaga and Metallica’ or ‘you and us,’ but let’s make it all of us, the five of us together,” he said. “[Gaga was] the fifth member of the band. It’s not two different worlds, it’s all of us together.”

Reality

At first I thought this was Lars calling Gaga a "clusterf*ck" :giveup:

I'm glad they see Gaga as one of their own, though. I just love her relationships with legendary singers/artists :flutter:

🃏🖤👹

Ooolong

For those who won't read it: the clusterf- comment was a positive remark. We did good. :diane: 

The Unbannable Chanteuse

FrankGutz

c03a933bb8d39febd7e4b686944e27eb.gif

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

Rebel Heart

I ran here to drag him tbh

00e987e54135441e1b82f04f3c3e698b.gif

Spoiler

Glad to see the positivity is still going though

3b1c696748602243b2d05b5608a78384.gif

Hey Girl is the best song of Gaga's career #Justice4HeyGirl

Really nice, but I wanna know her current relation with the others. I lowkey feel James Hetfield dislikes her since she didn't share her mic when his was off at the beginning.
hPh3VaR.gif

Blahwhatever22

That title had me shook for A second..:giveup: Glad to see that he had such A positive experience working with her. Their performance was really good regardless of the technical issues, They made it work and Gaga looked like she had A blast performing with them.:firega:

giphy.gif

TimisaMonster

Plus, it wasn't Gaga or Metallica's fault...it was a technical issue that someone unplugged a cable at the last seconds by accident...had nothing to do with "no rehearsal" or sound check...

Plus, with that kind of energy, it was almost impossible to stop...I get that side of it. It would be awkward to stop and then get crazy all over again in a genuine fashion...they did the best they could and like he said...them sharing a mic actually made it, dare I say, a BETTER performance duet rock experience....it may have worked out in their favor and they all did an amazing job!

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Anderson123

It was such a cool collaboration, I hope she keeps doing these in the future. And fans up to this point STILL think Gaga is just another popstar that is in the game just for the charts.

ugh when i clicked this link im like i hoooooope none of the member felt angry at gaga i mean, just because of what happened i dont want them to feel that way to her

Archived