💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Women and LGBTQA Creators hit hard by removal of best selling comics list

Seeka

Featured Posts

Women and LGBTQ People Will be Hit Hardest by NYT’s Decision to Kill the Comics Best Seller Lists

Essentially more old white men deciding what is and is not something, presumably.

Excerpts from the article.

Spoiler

One of my favorite things to do is to laugh at men who say that women don’t care about comics and then point them to the New York Times graphic novels bestseller list where Raina Telgemeier always has at least half of the top ten books (if not all ten) and many other women, including queer women and women of color, regularly appear. It brings me so much joy to see them have to scroll down past Sisters, Smile, Ghosts and half a dozen Babysitter’s Club graphic novels before they see anything close to a Batman or Iron Man. But I won’t be able to do that any more because yesterday the Times announced, without any warning, that they’re eliminating many of their lists, including the Graphic Hardcover, Graphic Paperback and Manga Categories, which are the places where the comics would be listed

Many in the comics world are understandably reacting with shock and sadness. This is a big blow to a part of the publishing world that is often regarded as “books for kids” or something less than “real literature.” It’s an especially big blow to marginalized people. Queer women, for example, have been able to find success on these lists and have been able to build careers partially off of that.

Fans are also angry. Many of us found out about comics we might be interested in through the list, and many more became new fans by seeing these lists and the books on them. The New York Times Bestseller list is prestigious, and when you see a book on it, you’re more likely to buy it.

This entire thing is insane, though I don't read the NYTimes.

Computer

I don't get why they would kill these lists?  Is it that hard for them to get access to sales data and publish the list?  And it is part of what makes NYT famous, their lists. :huh:

💚💛💕❣⭕💢💢 | ⓜⓔⓡⓡⓨ ©ⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓜⓐⓢ

I read a lot of graphic novels, and some manga and comics. It's an underrated format.

But this outrage at the NYT is silly and the gratuitous identity politics ploy to get people outraged is beyond stale.

The NYT got rid of many of their niche best seller lists because their readers didn't care enough about them. It's a waste of their print space. Some of the lists will continue online, others wont. In general graphic novels and comics will be listed among non-illustrated novels in the general Fiction Best Seller's list - which in my opinion only serves to legitimize the genre.

The New York Times Book Review editor vowed that they are expanding their coverage of graphic novels and comics, not minimizing it. They are just doing away with the list.

So, everyone take off your tin foil püssy hats, and save your outrage.

ItsTommyBitch

Shame.

I wouldn't say people are outraged by the tone of this article, just reasonably upset.

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

13 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Shame.

I wouldn't say people are outraged by the tone of this article, just reasonably upset.

"Insane" is arguably the opposite of "reasonable," and "insane" is the word used in the OP.

ItsTommyBitch
10 minutes ago, SKANK said:

"Insane" is arguably the opposite of "reasonable," and "insane" is the word used in the OP.

Based off of the tone and information in the article, people are reasonably upset. The only "outrage" I see is OP saying that this is insane, and whether or not that counts as outrage is as you said, arguable.

Having looked up this issue elsewhere, I think this article did a good job of saying "We are upset and here is why", when it would've been much easier to say "We are upset" and thats all I meant to convey with my message.

(Though for the record, It wouldn't' really bother me if people were more clearly "outraged" by this in the slightest, especially women and LGBTQA creators if they will face disproportionate harm by this :gum: )

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

40 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Based off of the tone and information in the article, people are reasonably upset. The only "outrage" I see is OP saying that this is insane, and whether or not that counts as outrage is as you said, arguable.

Having looked up this issue elsewhere, I think this article did a good job of saying "We are upset and here is why", when it would've been much easier to say "We are upset" and thats all I meant to convey with my message.

(Though for the record, It wouldn't' really bother me if people were more clearly "outraged" by this in the slightest, especially women and LGBTQA creators if they will face disproportionate harm by this :gum: )

The majority of books in the Hardcover Non-Fiction are written by or about POC, minorities, and women. There are two meditations on race issues in America, a celebration of Obama's legacy, Hidden Fences, the memoir of a bi racial South African, the memoir of a female writer/actress with manic depression, a conversation with Desmound Tutu and the Dalai Lama, both POC. Out of ten authors in the Paper Back Non-Fiction list half are female, number one on the list being Hidden Fences, number three Why We Should All Be Feminists, and number five on the list The New Jim Crow. Not to mention that every single month The New York times releases a Best Seller List dedicated solely to Race and Civil Rights. 

The author of the article included in the OP identifies as a "Latina transgender bisexual Wiccan woman." So I think it's safe to say that the lens through which she views the world is identity-centric.

The idea that this is "old white men" oppressing minorities is particularly asinine when you consider the editor of The Times Book Review is actually a young woman, but carry on advocating outrage if you like.

BuzzcutSeason

Nothing to do with the thread but why can't we just stick with LGBT, it's not every single word possible but its a clear term that fits.

What does LGBTQA stand for?

Just now, BuzzcutSeason said:

Nothing to do with the thread but why can't we just stick with LGBT, it's not every single word possible but its a clear term that fits.

What does LGBTQA stand for?

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Transgender

Questioning

Asexual

I'm just using the articles title. if it had P and any other letters, I'd be using them as well.

Let's not get started on all the internalized homophobia, transphobia, and inacceptance within the LGBT community, shall we?

1 minute ago, Seeka said:

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Transgender

Questioning

Asexual

I'm just using the articles title. if it had P and any other letters, I'd be using them as well.

Let's not get started on all the internalized homophobia, transphobia, and inacceptance within the LGBT community, shall we?

"Acronyms are supposed to make things easier, not be the whole ****ing alphabet." - Jackie Beat.

Let's not pretend that voicing concern about a seemingly never ending acronym is the same as being homophobic and transphobic, shall we?

BuzzcutSeason
4 minutes ago, Seeka said:

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Transgender

Questioning

Asexual

Oh were u saying that towards me? I was just asking mainly what the A was, and making sure i wasn't too out of the loop. Over the past few months i've seen "LGBT" span over 7 letters lol. I don't really get whats wrong with what i asked.

15 minutes ago, BuzzcutSeason said:

Oh were u saying that towards me? I was just asking mainly what the A was, and making sure i wasn't too out of the loop. Over the past few months i've seen "LGBT" span over 7 letters lol. I don't really get whats wrong with what i asked.

No. i'm just pointing out the gay community itself can be full of horrid people.

Though you could've just googled it?

15 minutes ago, SKANK said:

"Acronyms are supposed to make things easier, not be the whole ****ing alphabet." - Jackie Beat.

Let's not pretend that voicing concern about a seemingly never ending acronym is the same as being homophobic and transphobic, shall we?

Heys, I just bring attention to the articles. I do admit the gay community has its own problems. I know. I've dated a huge ass problem once.

No. i'm just pointing out the gay community itself can be full of horrid people.

Heys, I just bring attention to the articles. I do admit the gay community has its own problems. I know. I've dated a huge ass problem once.

You dated someone with hemorrhoids?

BuzzcutSeason

Yeah i probably should've. Yeah, i also agree. You'd think their wouldn't be people claiming to be minorities inside a minority. Shouldn't everyone unite in common purpose?

1 minute ago, SKANK said:

You dated someone with hemorrhoids?

No, I dated a misogynistic gay man who crossdressed and now blames me for every single problem in his life.

Archived