💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Celebrity worship syndrome and your interest in Gaga

Katie14

Featured Posts

Letmelivemylife
30 minutes ago, Squeeshy Keety said:

I'm not obsessed with her in such a way because her success is just a bonus, and I am able to recognize that she's human with flaws who sometimes can't live up to fans' (astronomical) expectations. Her career is her business, and other entertainers do not have nearly the same pressure to please their fans. I guess I think of her more as an old friend/"motherly" figure than an obsession. 

I do feel emotionally attached to her and feel genuine love for her despite never interacting with her. She has given me so much inspiration to express myself the way I like, come to terms with my sexuality, and settle into my role as an "outcast" as comfortably as I can. She has had an immense impact on my life, and I can't imagine any other celebrity being able to do the same.

I hate being called a fan who loves everything she does just because she's Gaga because the truth is since I am familiar with her character and all she has given me, I will always respect what she does. It makes me sad that some "stan cards" are at risk just because of a few things they don't like because I will always stand by her. 

Hide contents

Gosh, I did not expect to type so long :sweat:

You can live with someone and have no emotional connection and you can have someone whom you've never met and have an incredibly deep connection. Some things you see with your eyes and others you see with your heart. You can just see the love she has for her monsters. People have criticized me as well for having tattoos dedicated to her. "She's just a popstar" they say. To you she's just a popstar but to me she's something more. She was there when nobody else was

I love you monsters. I'd be unfixably broken without you

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlingNotTheMusic

I may "suffer" from this but TBH I'm ok with that because Gaga preaches love and acceptance and makes music to bring people together and that is meaningful. I relate a lot more to her than any religious figure (preachers, etc), so if that makes me an addict then so be it. 

Kermit the frog

It's weird that I see this thread now. I would say that it's the other way around actually - that self-deprecation, low self-esteem and insecurities are the cause of this strange fetishisation of female icons among gay males (and females, less frequently though). They live their lives vicariously through the idiols to which they can relate. A strange, transgressive and passive kind of life.

Kermit the frog
1 hour ago, littlepotter said:

Can the fans be blamed in the case where the celebrity spent an entire album era promoting a 'special connection' with fans? 

We all know the fans who criticize her the most, most commonly known as 'little managers', are those she 'breeded' during the Born This Way era. They can't let go of that connection she promised and then kind of gave up.

This is very interesting.

I don't doubt she had good intentions, but I also have no doubts that she was aware of the effects that strategy had on the insecure. It was both helpful, liberating and binding, enslaving at the same time. 

I can't speak for myself regarding this issue. I had (and still have sometimes) problems with depression, low self esteem, but those I can attribute fully to problems of my past that are completely unrelated to how I see Gaga.

I think people "worship" celebrities to escape the mundane in our lives and due to the lack of emotional fulfillment, not the other way around. I know for a fact that I always loved music, even from childhood.

I politely think this article is full of **** and doesn't take into account other factors. If anything, celebrity worship is a coping mechanism for stuff in our lives because there are certain things nothing can fill them and leaving them empty would only make things worse.

hmm well I suppose the world is a bit of a mess so

5 minutes ago, Kermit the frog said:

It's weird that I see this thread now. I would say that it's the other way around actually - that self-deprecation, low self-esteem and insecurities are the cause of this strange fetishisation of female icons among gay males (and females, less frequently though). They live their lives vicariously through the idiols to which they can relate. A strange, transgressive and passive kind of life.

It can become self-deprecation but if the society was healthy that would never happen. "that's what it means to crush."

Kermit the frog
2 hours ago, littlepotter said:

Can the fans be blamed in the case where the celebrity spent an entire album era promoting a 'special connection' with fans? 

We all know the fans who criticize her the most, most commonly known as 'little managers', are those she 'breeded' during the Born This Way era. They can't let go of that connection she promised and then kind of gave up.

That's true, but it's worth noticing and finding symptoms in yourself, because this is not a healthy situation. 

Supersonic

What I find so interesting is that other people are SOOOO vicariously living through Gaga that they get like... personally offended when Gaga does something that does not align with the rules they have established in their head. It reminds them that they actually aren't Gaga and have absolutely no control over her and have to look at the mess that is their own life as a consequence.

What's also hard is seeing that exact behaviour on this website all the time and not being able to address the issue directly in fear of being punished with WPs for "personal attacks" or "bullying".

Katie14
17 minutes ago, Kermit the frog said:

10 minutes ago, Unwavering said:

I can't speak for myself regarding this issue. I had (and still have sometimes) problems with depression, low self esteem, but those I can attribute fully to problems of my past that are completely unrelated to how I see Gaga.

I think people "worship" celebrities to escape the mundane in our lives and due to the lack of emotional fulfillment, not the other way around. I know for a fact that I always loved music, even from childhood.

I politely think this article is full of **** and doesn't take into account other factors. If anything, celebrity worship is a coping mechanism for stuff in our lives because there are certain things nothing can fill them and leaving them empty would only make things worse.

Well, the article did say people with mental issues are more likely to become obsessed fans and obsessed fans are also more likely to become or get more "dysfunctional".

Katie14
16 minutes ago, Kermit the frog said:

This is very interesting.

I don't doubt she had good intentions, but I also have no doubts that she was aware of the effects that strategy had on the insecure. It was both helpful, liberating and binding, enslaving at the same time. 

I have such mixed feelings about it. Gaga was going through her own issues, which we really didn't even know about, and was trying to connect deeply with us to fill her own loneliness and feelings of disconnect. I think she somewhat relied on this fan connection to be happy. Now, she is over it, but so many fans are not. Its weird even typing this out. It seems like some type of fan delusion but im pretty sure this was actually real. 

3 hours ago, OMonster said:

Wow, really? That's so interesting! 

What degree are you studying? 

Tell me more. :giveup:

I'm studying fashion promotion and within that I focus on marketing and image construction. For my dissertation I wanted to look into and write about how celebrities are used to buy products, how they themselves are products and how we view celebrities and that basically looks at people dedicating their social media accounts to a celebrity and people spending time out of their lives to be on forums discussing the life of someone they don't personally know (:poot:)

Katie14
18 minutes ago, princetomc said:

I'm studying fashion promotion and within that I focus on marketing and image construction. For my dissertation I wanted to look into and write about how celebrities are used to buy products, how they themselves are products and how we view celebrities and that basically looks at people dedicating their social media accounts to a celebrity and people spending time out of their lives to be on forums discussing the life of someone they don't personally know (:poot:)

This sounds really interesting! Are you going to make it known in your paper that you are one of those fans?

fanatism isnt healthy, i lowed my fan level for gaga the last years, not that i don't like her anymore but i started college and trying to have a social life is hard, i think my obsession with gaga started with the wosh of being famous, thats why i was so interested in her when i heard the fame and the fame monster, she ewas a celebrity that made music out of that in everyway, telling the good and the bad of it, i loved it, i really wanted to be like her. I always wanted to be known by something, a couple years ago i sang because my music teacher from high school encoraged me to do it but i'm still kinda shy and insecure, also i did some modeling, it was a great time but how i said, i'm insecure,and maybe thats the main reason of me wanting to be famous, feeling approval of a crowd and feeling loved, my family and friends actually helped me a lot in the last years to go through all the sadness and anxietythat i have, music too, specially gaga, but now i'm so into my carrer (i'm an engineering student) that i don't feel like being famous like before, i low key still want to be but i don't try it lol

and i keep following her like i used to, but i also follow a ton of artists, i think its for the best, hear different voices, styles and opinions

... and now i just sit in silence.

Archived