Featured Posts

ashae   Paws Up 4,150
ashae

Donald Trump, Buzzfeed, and CNN.

All things I desperately hate and avoid

Benji   Paws Up 12,414
Benji
1 minute ago, Luc said:

Free speech usually is a poor excuse, but for media it never is. Free speech is most of all intended for media, especially in a context like this.

Anyways - it's not just gossip anymore in my opinion. First of all the person who found all these things is deemed as very reliable. Secondly the FBI and CIA take it seriously. Thirdly the senators for homeland security, Trump and Obama were briefed about it.

I'm sure there's some lies in the full document (it's 'raw intelligence' they say), but it does give quite a big indication that there's something completely off. Let me remind you that Trump has had multiple positions about basically everything throughout his campaign except for his support of Russia. His team even lobbied for the RNC to scrap their position on Ukraine. Putting all these corrupt officials in place (putting his re-election chances in danger by swamping the drain) while there are plenty of alternatives in a country of 320 million people doesn't really make much sense unless you start looking at their relations with Russia.

Publishing the source would put the life of that person in great danger, by the way.

Whilst I do agree, free speech is important... using it as a defence is ridiculous when someone calls you out for supposedly lying. I could say X, X and X about you and when you say I'm lying, it would be absurd for me to reply and say "free speech, plus I have reliable sources."

It is ridiculous.

Luc   Paws Up 3,068
Luc
3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Whilst I do agree, free speech is important... using it as a defence is ridiculous when someone calls you out for supposedly lying. I could say X, X and X about you and when you say I'm lying, it would be absurd for me to reply and say "free speech, plus I have reliable sources."

It is ridiculous.

I agree that that's the case for normal conversations or when people like us criticize media. CNN didn't just say that they are doing it for the sake of freedom of speech. Their defense is that it's their job to inform the people about the inside workings of the government, to know what's actually going on in the country behind the scenes (though there's limitations on this too of course) - that's different from doing it for the sake of it, it's doing what they are supposed to do as media.

• Like 1

Benji   Paws Up 12,414
Benji
1 minute ago, Luc said:

I agree that that's the case for normal conversations or when people like us criticize media. CNN didn't just say that they are doing it for the sake of freedom of speech. Their defense is that it's their job to inform the people about the inside workings of the government, to know what's actually going on in the country behind the scenes (though there's limitations on this too of course) - that's different from doing it for the sake of it, it's doing what they are supposed to do as media.

Until there is actual evidence, it's hearsay. Perez Hilton could use the exact same excuse.

Whispering   Paws Up 12,564
Whispering
50 minutes ago, Benji said:

Until there is actual evidence, it's hearsay. Perez Hilton could use the exact same excuse.

Anonymity makes it possible, and often times safer, for sources to talk. Unnamed sources make it possible for reporters to do their jobs and to report information throughout the past that we would have never heard about otherwise. The press holds our elected officials accountable. 

There is a vast difference between what a gossip site will accept as a source and what major news organizations or reputable publications will accept as believable sources. When the New York Times publishes information based on sources, they either have a longstanding relationship with sources that have proven themselves to be reliable over the years or they vet the information coming in with reliable sources. 

Edited by Whispering
  • Like 1

Goosey   Paws Up 2,641
Goosey
Just now, Whispering said:

Anonymity makes it possible, and often times safer, for sources to talk. Unnamed sources make it possible for reporters to do their jobs and to report information throughout the past that we would have never heard about otherwise. The press holds our elected officials accountable. 

There is a vast difference between what a gossip site will accept as a source and what major news organizations or reputable publications will accept as believable sources. When the New York Times publishes information on sources, they either have a longstanding relationship with sources that have proven themselves to be reliable over the years or they vet the information coming in with reliable sources. 

I seem to recall you had a rather different opinion on anonymous sources during the election when I was posting about Wikileaks' revelations on Hillary Clinton and other tales of Clinton terror, courtesy of people who spoke on condition of anonymity...

Whispering   Paws Up 12,564
Whispering
Just now, Goosey said:

I seem to recall you had a rather different opinion on anonymous sources during the election when I was posting about Wikileaks' revelations on Hillary Clinton and other tales of Clinton terror, courtesy of people who spoke on condition of anonymity...

Wikileaks is not the New York Times. They are akin to buzzfeed with their dumps of information. 

Cinton terror? Lol. Conspiracy theories are very often fake news, like the birther movement.