💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
book

Cassandra Clare - Author

HausOfMark

Featured Posts

HausOfMark

Cassandra Clare is the Author of The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, and The Dark Artifices Series.

Has anyone read any of these Shadow Hunter Books? I just bought all of these books recently and going to start reading them. Was wondering opinions.

-Mark

MonsterPaws

Personal tastes really do differ. I remember being quite puzzled by the reception the Shadowhunter series received. Some people ADORE it and claim it the perfect series for Potterheads, others found the writing horrendous...I'm part of the latter.

I was really craving some fantasy one day (specifically YA fantasy), and the MI seemed like the perfect fit. I had heard of the bad reviews but I knew the only way I could find out whether it's good or not is to read it. But I got myself really excited and ended up buying both the Infernal Devices set, and the MI set: Biggest waste of money of my life so far.

I read City of Bones first (I actually liked the movie adaptation), and cringed at every turn of events, every line written, just everything. It's like Cassandra Clare couldn't decide who her intended audience is. One chapter there's talk about sex, and the next sounds like it was pulled out of one of those children's books for non-English speakers.

I was so disappointed I ended up giving away both sets to a friend (God knows what he thinks of it since I haven't asked him yet). But in Cassandra Clare's defense, Clockwork Angel was not as bad. Matter of fact it was actually pretty decent; I just didn't continue because I knew that eventually I had to get back to reading the Mortal Instruments and no way in hell am I spending all my time going through all those books. I'd rather watch cringe-worthy Vine compilations all day.

I still recommend you give it a try though! You might like it since everyone's tastes are different :hug:

Anastasia

I liked them when I was younger, but I can't get into them now, its a bit too young for me. It doesn't mean they are bad, but I can kinda now tell that once you've read a few YA books, you've pretty much read all of them. I find myself needing to read about adults these days, especially when it comes to romance, I can't get into the teen mindset of dancing around sex and having an immature idea of what love is. The main character always falls in love way too quickly and easily in a lot of YA, even when the guy is a total d*ck. If you are new to YA or you love the genre then don't worry what others think, just read and enjoy. It has a following for a reason, a lot of people love it.

FATWIFE, First Lady Of GGD

Glittertinks

I have been a fan of the Shadowhunter Series since a very long time, liking the Movie and hoping that the TV series improves. Found the series almost 10 years ago now on a book fair and fell in love with it. I have to admit that in the beginning the writing is very easy and somehow plain. But Cassandra Clare has improved her writing skills with each book, something you notice when you compare The Infernal Devices with the original books (from which I love the first three books the most, the others turned out a bit meh). It even got better in The Dark Artifices and I am really excited of what will come next.

The Series has always good and relatable characters if you ask me, there is usually at least one character people like. There is also a lot of character development happening during the course of the books, something I always enjoy the most while reading. The books also have a lot of world building going on, almost all the time. I guess this is also one of the things that kept me close to those books all these years.

As for the story itself, it's always a matter of personal preferences (I for instance loved the whole urban fantasy aspect and the overall story of the first three books, but developed a strong dislike against one of the main couples for example). If you like YA books like me, you will have no problem with them imo.

Archived