Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Critics don't understand Gaga's hybrid music

Quark

Featured Posts

o<(0_0)>o

One of the things that I have noticed about Gaga's music is that her music is usually a hybrid of many genres. The essence or backbone of her songs is always pop but the songs are always decorated with genres of all kinds. For example with TF/TFM the songs were pop music but their decoration included genres such as euro-disco, synth-pop, and electronic. With BTW, the songs were pop but their decoration included genres such as metal, mariachi, industrial, and house. And with ARTPOP, her pop songs were decorated with complextro, trap, and just in general all kinds of EDM. Now, with Joanne, Gaga has leaned more towards the non-pop genres, genres such as country, folk, glam, reggae,  and alternative rock, but the pop essence is still noticeable. 

Now, I have also noticed that many of the reviews for Joanne have criticized Gaga's authenticity because they feel Gaga did not went deep with these other non-pop genres. In other words they are criticizing the fact that she has this hybrid music that I just described. But why can't they take the music for what it is? What does music have to be boxed into one thing or another? Why don't they just accept that Gaga's style will always be a hybrid between pop and other genres? This is simply just Gaga's sound. This is what makes Gaga unique. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dramatica

Slay Enigma with your hybrid threads

tumblr_of75j3KTXa1u6n38po1_250.gif

I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.

PopBitch

Plenty of acts put out albums fused with other genres.  It happens all the time.  It's how well it's done is what is reviewed and discussed or if the songs are good or the album as a whole, on and on and on.

Radio Ga Ga

Yeah, and isn't pop a genre too? If she has been doing pop the whole time, isn't she sticking to one thing?

2 minutes ago, PopBitch said:

Plenty of acts put out albums fused with other genres.  It happens all the time.  It's how well it's done is what is reviewed and discussed or if the songs are good or the album as a whole, on and on and on.

Sure, but with Joanne most people have said that they liked the sound. That its sound was very well done. But at the same time they take points off because it wasn't fully country, rock, or some other non-pop genre. 

androiduser

Critics have been around long enough and have heard enough good and bad albums to understand genres. The question is whether they think something was successful or not in an attempt to combine certain genres, and this is a personal opinion that can never be unbiased.  In Gaga's case, I think some of them feel the new sound is a bit forced in the attempt to feel "real" "raw" etc.

Personally, I don't see it in the music, but I do feel that forced attempt in how Gaga talks about her music.

manicholic

critics don't understand gaga, period

but the entire entertainment industry including legends look to her for inspiration and guidance with everything she does so

There's nothing harder for people to do than admit they were fooled.

1 minute ago, androiduser said:

Critics have been around long enough and have heard enough good and bad albums to understand genres. The questions whether they think something was successful or not in an attempt to combine certain genres, and this is a personal opinion that can never be unbiased.  In Gaga's case, I think some of them feel the new sound is a bit forced in the attempt to feel "real" "raw" etc.

Personally, I don't see it in the music, but I do feel that forced attempt in how Gaga talks about her music.

If you don't see it in the music than why does it matter?

display name

Sis, you've been on-point as of late. Gaga's always experimented with different sounds that were made popular in different genres. Gaga's not roleplaying country star here. She's infusing elements of genres, such as country, into a pop record. Tell 'em. :applause: 

1 minute ago, VAMP said:

Sis, you've been on-point as of late. Gaga's always experimented with different sounds that were made popular in different genres. Gaga's not roleplaying country star here. She's infusing elements of genres, such as country, into a pop record. Tell 'em. :applause: 

Exactly, she is not roleplaying anything. She is just a fusion/hybrid of many things. People just don't understand her. 

Gov Hooka
6 minutes ago, PopBitch said:

Only thing is with Gaga, the critics like to contextualize the music to the point that it becomes only about her image, career, and supposed musical goals and not the music. Not to mention the fact the common thread in most of her reviews is this preconception of what Gaga's goal musically or image-wise is on her album and then judging her based off that preconception. For example, Joanne's mixed and negative reviews all state that Gaga was trying to go full country, go full indie pop, go full rock, etc. Then the critics who incorrectly assumed that proceed to judge the album based off that incorrect assumption. Gaga never said she wasn't not going to do pop with this album, and it's ****ing annoying to see all these critics say that she wasn't going far enough into the genres with these songs. That was never her intention.

display name
1 minute ago, Enigma said:

Exactly, she is not roleplaying anything. She is just a fusion/hybrid of many things. People just don't understand her. 

The funny but sad thing is, the critics have been dragging her older work into their reviews, yet if they actually paid attention to what she was doing musically back then, they'd realize how much Joanne makes sense as a Gaga album.

Archived