Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga and Beyoncé now album artists?

lucastecala

Featured Posts

lucastecala

So, way earlier this year, back when Joanne was still #LG5 and we were living off of fake rumours about Gaga's return, I mentioned this possibility to some friends. That I couldn't see Gaga as a "single" artist anymore, that her need for artistic freedom would be far better addressed in projects such as Beyoncé's, who rapidly transitioned to "album artist" before the "flop" narrative had time to consolidate. I kept my mouth shut because she initially seemed pretty intent on promoting Perfect Illusion as lead single, so I thought maybe I was wrong, or maybe those things were still being decided by her label and if it was up to Gaga she would have released the whole album at once.

But now, from what she said yesterday at Howard Stern, I can't help but think that the second possibility might actually be true. My theory (which might very well be dellusional, I'm aware of that) is: she's always wanted to promote the whole of the album instead of individual official singles, and maybe produce consistent visual material for many of the tracks, but she had to promote PI as lead single, as demand from her label. Now that PI had and underwhelming commercial performance (I love the song, though) I think she kind of proved her point to the label and now she is getting more freedom to do the promo the way she's always intended. 

It's a move that has worked very well for Beyoncé. She hasn't had huge singles in many years, but always manages to create a lot of buzz and impact with her albums, due to the fact that she intentionally takes people's attention off of the her singles' charts perfomances. It's a win-win situation because, at the same time, she creates a huge cultural impact with the whole of the album, with a lot of buzz, and public perception of success, since it's much easier for an artist like her to sell albums than singles. Also, she takes the focus off of the bling and puts it in the music. Not having to have a #1 hit gives you far more creative freedom. I mean, the ****ing Chainsmokers have been in #1 on the singles charts for months, and yet who do you think has had more cultural (and lasting) impact? Them or Beyoncé?

Of course Beyoncé is a perfectionist, so she made everything with far more control of her image and of the narrative surrounding her career (also, pregnancy kind of kept the flop narrative from consolidating during the "4" era). Gaga is still beginning this transition, and her artistic vision is completely different (not better, not worse) from Beyoncé's. She embraces her flaws and failures as part of a truly human experience, so she didn't go out of her way to control the narrative regarding her career. That said, I do think it's clear that making cultural impact and pushing music boundaries is far more important for Gagz than having a #1 single, just as it is to Beyoncé, so I'm betting she is going for the artistic freedom that being an "album artist" gives her this time. I mean, no one could have predicted Joanne's sales would go so well, based on PI commercial performance. But it makes sense. Gaga is an artist that needs her context, because she is never only focused on selling, she always has something to say.    

What do you think, guys?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaga was always an album artist...

Beyonce is a rumors artist..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

SpookyKid

Gaga has always been an album artist, the only album that looks a little bit more "single" it's The Fame, but is still a album as a whole

Life has a hopeful undertone |-/

lucastecala
Just now, River said:

Gaga was always an album artist...

Beyonce is a rumors artist..

True. Gaga has always been an album artist but always worked very separately and in a focused way each single, intent on making them hits. My point is she just doesn't care anymore. Sometimes Beyoncé does seem like a stunt artist and it seems artificial at times, but you can't ignore that her last two albums were musically brilliant, as is Joanne, btw. 

Gaga isn't an album artist now

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

littlepotter
2 minutes ago, koonsisme said:

Yes, Bey is now an album artist. Meanwhile, Lady Gaga has always been an album artist.

That's just crazy to say. Gaga promoted her singles to death. OP doesnt mean she didn't use to sell albums, he means she no longer focuses on selling singles thats all. And I agree.

chaeri pls

Huge Beyoncé fan here. But for the love of God how many times is she going to play the Jay Z cheating narrative before a concert or album release.                Btw Lemonade is actually a 50/100 album for me. Don't get all the hype.  

Ps: I'm black

Just now, lucastecala said:

True. Gaga has always been an album artist but always worked very separately and in a focused way each single, intent on making them hits. My point is she just doesn't care anymore. Sometimes Beyoncé does seem like a stunt artist and it seems artificial at times, but you can't ignore that her last two albums were musically brilliant, as is Joanne, btw. 

Most of the times Gaga did 2 performances, 1 of the current single and 1 for non single track from the current album.. she did it since TEOG, after Judas was not that successful.

I can't call Lemonade a musically brilliant, all the songs there are awful, the lyrics are dumb, her vocals are annoying.. what made Lemonade a brilliant album is not the music but the visual short movie.. and this is what she's good at since Beyonce.. and even this she got the inspiration after the Telephone video..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Gaga should not follow Beyonce. Beyonce's latest albums are good works as whole packages , but do not offer hits. But Gagas album Joanne offer definitely hits.

btw: many european countries will only know the former beyonce hits and many of the newer ones will not reach the classic status. Gaga should let decide the people what they want to hear and then release them on radio so that the songs have the chance to be classics. That's what she does in the moment i think. She wants to make her songs live big and then they pick the right singles...

It's been one week... Let's not get too carried away. We don't know if Gaga's album sales will be sustained or if it will quickly fall yet. Give it a few months.

lucastecala
3 minutes ago, INTERNET said:

Gaga should not follow Beyonce. Beyonce's latest albums are good works as whole packages , but do not offer hits. But Gagas album Joanne offer definitely hits.

btw: many european countries will only know the former beyonce hits and many of the newer ones will not reach the classic status. Gaga should decide the people what they want to hear and then the release them on radio. That's what she does in the moment

I'm from Brazil. And here Beyoncé bigger than ever. The perception is that she currently holds cultural dominance.  

lucastecala
18 minutes ago, koonsisme said:

Yes, Bey is now an album artist. Meanwhile, Lady Gaga has always been an album artist.

You've changed my mind on this actually. You're right. But you can't deny she would go out of her way to promote singles in a very traditional way. 

LUCARTPOP

Neither Bey or Gaga have been album artists, wtf.

Beyoncé has been putting out singles like Sorry & Hold Up and sent them to the radio. The reason of its flopping is the fault of her and her team not putting it up for stream besides Tidal.

Gaga has also putting out singles, if they flop - it doesn't mean that she is an album artist.

Artists like Taylor Swift and who earn millions of dollars with their album are considered an album artist. 

Bey has yet to reach the same with her self-titled and LEMONADE, and so does Gaga.

Y'all are reaching.

Archived