interview

Get Woke: Mark Ronson on Producing 'Raw and Exposed' Joanne

Leaf

Featured Posts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ronson: 

"Mark Ronson remembers the first time Lady Gaga asked him to produce the album that came to be Joanne. "I don't know what it's going to sound like," she told him last year, "but do you want to work together?" 

Gaga: 

Finally, at the Met Gala, he came over and said, “Are you ready to make that record like the one you wanted to make all those years ago when I first met you?” I said, “Yeah, I’m ready!” He said, “Okay, call me!”

tumblr_mncwweYbSn1r0t4wwo6_500.gif

Cherry picking is not allowed.

It was probably inevitable that Gaga and Ronson would collaborate. Even though Ronson is about a decade older than Gaga, both grew up within blocks of each other on New York's Upper East Side, and her private school would often have weekend dances with his. Ronson and Gaga first joined forces about eight years ago when Ronson enlisted her to add a vocal to "Chillin," a track he was produced for rapper Wale.

"We had an hour free, so she came down to the studio," Ronson recalls. "It was probably 11:30 in the morning and she was fully wound up and amazing. She seemed like the right blend of musical fanatic and eccentric New Yorker. I grew up around those types my whole life." Ronson was also impressed that Gaga was a fan of his friend Sean Lennon's work: "I thought, 'Who is this girl talking about Sean's voicings on the piano?' Sean's an incredible musician but not everyone is familiar with his albums."

22 minutes ago, Gagafy said:

Now we have a concrete answer of why LG5 was delayed so long. Redone basically got fired as the lead producer.

All the songs that redone produced was scrapped, except one which Ronson reworked on. No wonder the Work Tape sounds so much better.

Proves that Redone > Ronson

Not really, Gaga is the one who majes the song spectacular. 

The night sky tells all

KURUSHITOVSKA

The album is so ****ing amazing but I also wanted pop so i expect real pop for the next one

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

2 minutes ago, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

The album is so ****ing amazing but I also wanted pop so i expect real pop for the next one

I don't think Gaga could go back anymore, the changes is too drastic and she's already not the pop girl that little know. Going back is a career suicide now.

6 minutes ago, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

"real pop"

Really?

Dominic
8 minutes ago, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

I hear ya. I like the country influence in the album but I feel it's too dominating. I'm looking forward to some more dance-pop in the future. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

DeanWinchester

I love love love JOANNE but I want to know what happened to the

-Diane Warren

-Nile Rogers

-RedOne tracks

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

1 minute ago, Dominic Marc said:

I hear ya. I like the country influence in the album but I feel it's too dominating. I'm looking forward to some more dance-pop in the future. 

Okay, got it, dance-pop is the only music you listen to!

KURUSHITOVSKA
4 minutes ago, Leaf said:

"real pop"

Really?

Yep, really. I understand myself :')

8 minutes ago, Gagafy said:

I don't think Gaga could go back anymore, the changes is too drastic and she's already not the pop girl that little know. Going back is a career suicide now.

I know but she can still make a difference in pop music but not so much influenced in country. I'd love if it was more 80s dance influenced for example, or 90s eurodance

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

4 minutes ago, A Gaga Lad said:

I love love love JOANNE but I want to know what happened to the

-Diane Warren

-Nile Rogers

-RedOne tracks

scrapped and deceased, like her career's future after she switched to Ronson

it wasn't laaaahv

1 minute ago, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

Yep, really. I understand myself :')

I don't think we listened to the same album if you think it is solely "country influenced". 

lucastecala
44 minutes ago, Gagafy said:

Now we have a concrete answer of why LG5 was delayed so long. Redone basically got fired as the lead producer.

All the songs that redone produced was scrapped, except one which Ronson reworked on. No wonder the Work Tape sounds so much better.

Proves that Redone > Ronson

Oh no, I'm very glad she went with Ronson on this one. She's already done her thing with RedOne, it was about time she moved on. 

Archived