đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
series

Black Mirror

Blake

Featured Posts

Borislshere

Mess I’ve binged the entire show, including the newest season, in three days :selena: what is life :selena:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only seen the first two episodes of the new season but I can tell the quality dropped significantly. The storytelling got too didactive and the acting on the second episode is horrendous, especially on the mother's part. The themes are also repeating itself and got more superficial. The show has unfortunately become a parody of what it once was.

Versace

The latest season is plain Trash and this is coming from a huge Black Mirror Fan and also someone who will almost feed into any form of story telling. This new season was painful to watch, I really can't justify my opinion without spoiling plots. Overall the stories are a major cringe fest, nothing realistic or logical thus you don't get the chilling "this could be our future" vibe. The acting is very stiff, characters are mainly developed off-screen and most of them are far from relatable. They used the same themes of season 3, the reuse of the theme alone is redundant and its like they are force feeding it to you this time. The third season was some of the best TV the decade had to offer (sheer brilliance) but the latest season in my opinion is some of the worst, how ironic lol. 

freebit

I'm in the minority in preferring Crocodile, Arkangel, and Metalhead to USS Callister, Hang the DJ, and Black Museum.:duck: Reddit seems to love the latter three, and while they're fine, none of it is what I like best about the show (namely, that haunting after effect that leaves me thinking about it days later). I think Hang the DJ is particular feels like it was trying to recapture the magic of San Junipero, but lacked the emotional punch. San Junipero's leads had so many emotional obstacles to overcome, and it made them and the story more compelling than the standard couple from Hang the DJ. It was cute, but that was it.:shrug: USS Callister was fun, but cheesy to me, and felt weirdly kind of fan service-y ("Stealing my p***y is red fu*cking line!" part felt like it was made specifically for tumblr gifs). Black Museum had the same sleazy, mean spirited tone as a Tales from the Crypt episode from the 90s, and that's not a good thing. 

OTOH, Crocodile and Arkangel disturbed me. The main complaint seems to be that the tech and themes were nothing new, but still, these were haunting and interesting to me, and honestly, new tech, while interesting isn't what makes for a good story on its own, so personally, I didn't have a big problem with it. Crocodile was a slow burning noir piece with an ending twist that was so absurd that I didn't see it coming. Arkangel hit home for me as a person with a pseudo helicopter mother, and raised so many questions about how a piece of technology could also mess up mental development (especially when used with questionable parenting). I saw someone on the AV Club liken Metalhead to watching a Cormac McCarthy story come to life, and that was completely apt IMO. 

Magneto

Okay, I binged the whole season in one day and I'm actually very disappointed :selena:

This might sound crazy, but I love how most of the previous episodes really got under my skin and made me think about my own actions and the society we live in. The only one that actually managed to do this season for me was Arkangel. I liked the storyline with the docter in Black Museum, but the rest was kind of meh. Hang the DJ and USS Callister had some comedy and tongue in cheek feeling that didn't really do it for me. Lastly, I did love the empty feeling of Metalhead, but in the end it felt very empty even though that probably was intentional.

Free my mind

• 4 weeks later...
womanwithagun
On 2-1-2018 at 10:57 PM, Magneto said:

Okay, I binged the whole season in one day and I'm actually very disappointed :selena:

This might sound crazy, but I love how most of the previous episodes really got under my skin and made me think about my own actions and the society we live in. The only one that actually managed to do this season for me was Arkangel. I liked the storyline with the docter in Black Museum, but the rest was kind of meh. Hang the DJ and USS Callister had some comedy and tongue in cheek feeling that didn't really do it for me. Lastly, I did love the empty feeling of Metalhead, but in the end it felt very empty even though that probably was intentional.

Yes. I totally agree with that. I'm obsessed with Black Mirror but last season didn't do it for me. I loved Shut up and Dance and The entire history of you.

You know i've got a diamond heart.

• 3 weeks later...
AlexanderMagno

Ok, so I've just watched the whole series :selena: I am seriously in love with it. It's not like the ideas that brings to the table are completely new, but it feels amazing to see them developed in a cinematographic piece of work. The acting is basically brilliant in every episode and it always leaves you with a great feeling (great as in remarkable, not as in happy or positive).

So:

My top:

- San Junipero: for all the reasons, this is one of the best episodes I've ever seen, ever. Very unlike the other episodes because of the conclusion, it gives you an incredibly warm feeling that makes you want to review it over and over again. I love it.

- Be Right Back: one of my favourites as well, I love how it's one of the episodes that for me has developed its premise and its technology's potential to the fullest. Just like Martha, you go into this rollercoaster of feelings towards Ash presence and the end is beautiful, extremely haunting, but in every way the only one that makes sense.

- The National Anthem: maybe as the first episode I've seen from this series, the impact was bigger. But really, this one will keep you holding on to your screen till the end, anxious about what will happen next.

- Hated in the Nation: thrilling, amazing, devastating but incredibly well developed (and I'm not into detective stories). I loved the plot twist and love the little positive note in the ending.

- Shut Up and Dance: as much as I realise it raises a few issues that might be overrated here, this episode will haunt you and I will forever think about it as the absolute synonym of despair. I did not see that end coming and as much as it leaves me conflicted I love it.

- Crocodile: so this one's has some mixed reviews, specially because of the violence. That is exactly why I love it so much. Some things might not make that much sense, there was definitely an easier way to go, but then there would be no story. They wanted it disturbing, it is what it is.

My very good episodes:

- Fifteen Million Merits: really good episode. I really like it, but objectively it's probably the less original when it comes to the ideas that brings. It's not something we've never thought about even in our society. Nevertheless, really well built.

- Playtest: I really like this episode! Great twist, nonstop thrill, good!

- Arkangel: good, very good. Very simple, but I liked that. I love the ending and the violence that explores.

- Nosedive: I was incredibly excited about this episode and in the end I didn't love it as much as I was hoping for. Not that it's not as great as it seems, but probably expectations were too high and I was able to predict where it was heading. I love the idea though, and overall is very well done.

- Mean Against Fire: it's ok. It doesn't really stand out compared with other episodes, but it's good. I like the sort of opened to interpretation ending.

- Black Museum: delicious reunion of easter eggs. In fact, practically every episode is mentioned here. Kind of feels like the last episode (and it is, for now), since there's a feeling of closure to everything that has happened so far. Nevertheless, I think this is the first time I've noticed the series might become a parody of itself. The story is good, but the technology is becoming too absurd, unoriginal compared with previous episodes and it's becoming super superficial, with no real social or ethical comment worth discussing. If they are not careful, next season will be bad.

My ok episodes:

- The Waldo Moment: again, it's ok. It's probably one of the most iconic episodes, but in the end it's not something that touches you personally in any way. Very sharp though, and dangerous thinking.
- White Christmas: it's good, lots of plot twists, but maybe too many. Plot within a plot within a plot is not my ideal episode. The technology is great though.

My least liked episodes:

- White Bear: it didn't really hit me. Maybe because I was expecting every development? It was incredibly predictable and it gave me no new insight about its issues.

- The Entire History of You: my problem with this episode is that they could go into soooo many routes with the technology they are presenting. They chose the relationship trust issues route. Ok, I accept that. Anyway, as a whole episode, it lacked a bit of development that other episodes have.

- USS Callister: too much of a parody for me. I loved everything that was about real life, but the game and the action within didn't really hype me.

- Metalhead: beautifully shot, but I found it... Kind of stupid. You put your life in danger for that? Nah, ridiculous. I'd even forget that we have no idea where the dogs come from or why they are chasing humans and the lack of background story if that was not the ending. The only think about this episode really is the cinematography (but I guess it had to be, since there's nothing else about it). I was about to put this episode in the good ones, because it really is beautiful! But the story and the ending... Damn, I really can't.

So, overall, season 3 is the absolute best. Followed by season 1. Season 4 keeps the good run, but there are already signs of the series becoming too dull. Season 2 has one of the best episodes, the rest is meh.

scallywally

My top 2 are the nice ones lol. San Junipero and DJ. I'm not into getting freaked out. I re watched Black Museum and preferred it the second time round. The Bees one is probably my 4th fave. The Star Trek episode was campy and fun although id never watched Star Trek so probably didnt get the in-jokes. 

They are all so beautifully shot and for the most part really well acted. It would be great if Gaga has the time to be in one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived