đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Curious to see how you interpret "come to mama"

Letmelivemylife

Featured Posts

DeanWinchester
2 minutes ago, Leaf said:

It's a gay anthem (but you would never know).

I saw this description around a lot. But why? Because of the rainbows? The message could be applied, but I think it's more of a general song about acceptance and peace, i.e., ethnic differences, racial tensions, political conflicts :oprah:

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

1 minute ago, A Gaga Lad said:

what I don't understand is the r"ainbows did more than they ever did" line :saladga:

If I remember correctly, the rainbow is described in the Bible as a promise from God to Noah that He will never destroy the earth with a flood again.

But since the 1970's, rainbows have also been used in the LGBTQ community as symbols of pride and unity.

So when a "dude in a lab coat and a man of God" fight over "prisms and a forty-day flood", Gaga can't help but think that they're fighting over what a rainbow "means" but she realizes that the rainbow can symbolize both God's love AND gay pride (rainbows did more than they've ever done)

1 minute ago, A Gaga Lad said:

I saw this description around a lot. But why? Because of the rainbows? The message could be applied, but I think it's more of a general song about acceptance and peace, i.e., ethnic differences, racial tensions, political conflicts :oprah:

I agree with your interpretation too.

DeanWinchester
Just now, jcOMFG said:

If I remember correctly, the rainbow is described in the Bible as a promise from God to Noah that He will never destroy the earth with a flood again.

But since the 1970's, rainbows have also been used in the LGBTQ community as symbols of pride and unity.

So when a "dude in a lab coat and a man of God" fight over "prisms and a forty-day flood", Gaga can't help but think that they're fighting over what a rainbow "means" but she realizes that the rainbow can symbolize both God's love AND gay pride (rainbows did more than they've ever done)

I had a hunch it was about that but the phrasing and the vague pronouns (they as in the rainbows or somebody else?) get me confused

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

DeanWinchester
Just now, Leaf said:

I agree with your interpretation too.

I mean I am not trying to discount or take away from the LGBT community, I was just wondering if there was a specific reference I missed (which has already been clarified to me about the rainbows).

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

TropicOfCANCER

I honestly think this is her Hillary Clinton song; we all thought "mama" was an allusion to her Mother Monster, but I feel that its her way of saying, don't vote trump, come to Mama Clinton, so she can fix all the problems in the world.

TropicOfCANCER
16 minutes ago, jcOMFG said:

I don't think it has much to do with LGBT, tbh.

Lab coat and prisms are synonymous with science.

Forty-day flood is synonymous with religion.

It's the fight between science and religion, two  groups of people who are usually at odds over humanity's origins (i.e. creation versus evolution)

39 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

I don't think it has much to do with LGBT, tbh.

Lab coat and prisms are synonymous with science.

Forty-day flood is synonymous with religion.

It's the fight between science and religion, two  groups of people who are usually at odds over humanity's origins (i.e. creation versus evolution)

That's an excellent analysis! I didn't think to look at it from that point of view.

I still think she's referencing the LGBT community with "rainbows did more than they've ever done," but she does also cover the origin of rainbows (Are they created by God, or are they simply natural phenomena created by the refraction of light through raindrops acting as prisms?) and therefore references the arguments between science and religion.

In the end, she concludes it doesn't matter, because rainbows symbolize hope for both religion and secular groups, so there's no point fighting over ideas, since they've both been agreeing on that meaning "after all of these years"

But that's just this verse, the other verses are less focused on the LGBT community and more on humanity as a whole.

And I love the fact that she calls back the rainbow metaphor at the end of the song; "look what that rainbow did" meaning look at how this symbol has united so many groups, let's let it unite all of humanity together in the hope for a kinder and brighter future.

• 7 months later...

Given the time of its release, and when the song was written- I feel this songs can be traced back To the running of Hillary Clinton. GAga was a vocal supporter and the lyrics seem as if they could represent her.... 

DavidJP
On 10/21/2016 at 0:04 PM, jcOMFG said:

I always took the part "dude in a lab coat and a man of god" since there is some argument between religion and science.

Archived