• Created
  • Last Reply

5 point scale bitches :neyde:

Diamond Heart - 5/5

A-YO - 5/5

Joanne - 5/5

John Wayne - 5/5

Dancin In Circles - 5/5

Okay 5/5 for everything - I'm a SuperFan - maybe 4/5 for Angel Down (Work Tape) because I'd rather have another song :neyde:

I loves it though - so much! :woot:

worship to the land a girl from the planet

Okinawa
1 hour ago, Gaga Monster said:

It will probably change! This was my first listen! Songs usually grow on me!

Dear Gaga Monster,

you should not psychologically trick yourself into liking something you didn't like initially in first place. It's been scientifically proven that if you -want- to like something, you're really more likely going to like it. Listening all over it until your brains get adjusted to it will indeed result into greater appreciation towards Joanne but you will have to ask yourself if it will be genuine liking.

Or better: "How would you judge it if a totally unknown singer sang it, without a Gaga-bonus?"

Judge by your first impression. Either you like or dislike it or in between, accept it.

~We are Reel Cool~

After several listens:

1) Diamond Heart 8.5/10

2) A-Yo 7.5/10

3) Joanne 6/10

4) John Wayne 7/10

5 Dancin In Circles 9.5/10

6) Perfect Illusion 7/10

7) Million Reasons 7/10

8) Sinner's Prayer 8.5/10

9) Come to Mama 7/10

10) Hey Girl 7/10

11) Angel Down 6.5/10

19 hours ago, Liechtenstein said:

Dear Gaga Monster,

you should not psychologically trick yourself into liking something you didn't like initially in first place. It's been scientifically proven that if you -want- to like something, you're really more likely going to like it. Listening all over it until your brains get adjusted to it will indeed result into greater appreciation towards Joanne but you will have to ask yourself if it will be genuine liking.

Or better: "How would you judge it if a totally unknown singer sang it, without a Gaga-bonus?"

Judge by your first impression. Either you like or dislike it or in between, accept it.

I agree with your post, but I also think to some extent multiple listens are necessary if you were expecting something different. I was turned off by the album on my first listen because it was very different from my expectations. 

To make an analogy, it's like if you try a food for the first time and the taste is different than you expected, so your first response is "WTF NO," but then you take another bite with this new realization of what it's supposed to taste like and you can then figure out if you enjoy the flavor. :shrug: 

juicyjuicy

Going to rank the songs from best to worst (so hard - my top 6 could change so easily!). They're all fantastic tbh. I remember giving some ARTPOP songs like 5s and 6s...

1. Dancin' in Circles - 10/10

2. Sinner's Prayer - 10/10

3. Just Another Day - 10/10

4. Come to Mama - 10/10

5. A-YO - 10/10

6. Joanne - 10/10

7. Million Reasons - 9.5/10

8. John Wayne - 9/10

9. Diamond Heart - 9/10

10. Grigio Girls - 8.5/10

11. Angel Down - 7.5/10

12. Perfect Illusion - 7/10

13. Hey Girl - 7/10

14. Angel Down (Work Tape) - 7/10

Explanation of the scoring rubric:

Spoiler

When I rate albums I do so based on whether or not the songs themselves meet the 10 criteria points that are most important to me, then I take an average of those scores to find where I stand on the album as a whole. Note this review is about my personal opinion- I’d rate things slightly differently if I was viewing the music from a strictly objective view (something sadly most official critics don’t do…) 

In no order of importance, what I feel is necessary for a song to have in order for me to like it is:

1. Meaning - What the song is about.

2. Lyrics - How the meaning is conveyed in the lyrics.

3. Uniqueness - Whether or not the song is unique compared to other songs. 

4. Feeling - Does the song evoke a feeling or emotion from me?

5. Individuality - The song stands on its own compared to others from the album.

6. Cohesion - The song fits the theme of the album.

7. Music/Non-Lyrical Aspects - Outside of the lyrics and vocals, does the song sound good?

8. Multiple Listens - Will I actively seek out this song specifically to listen to again?

9. Consistency - Do I like all parts of the song from beginning to end?

10. Likeability - Very simply- Do I personally like the song?

Overall Album Score: 7/10

While the songs themselves don’t bring a lot of uniqueness compared to other songs from the genres Gaga is pulling from, it certainly is a nice listen and the songs themselves are individuals on the album while still fitting the overall theme. The music accurately evokes the intended emotions and while many songs fall short for me in ways I can’t always put my finger on, overall this is a likable album with a message very relevant to society. While I personally would have liked more layered meanings in the songs, it seems Gaga was going for a very upfront way of speaking so I respect her intentions. Seeing her intention, genuine nature, and bravery in trying something different while staying true to herself brings me to respect the album. 

Overall Criteria Met (Songs Meeting Critera/Total Number of Songs): Meaning (12/14), Lyrics (6.5/14), Uniqueness (0/14), Feeling (13/14), Individuality (14/14), Cohesion (14/14), Music (8/14), Multiple Listens (8/14), Consistency (10.5/14), Likeability (11/14)

Diamond Heart: 6/10
Love the reference to Gaga’s go-go dancing days! Like the music too, but parts of the vocals and lyrics are grating on me- specifically the bridge and some of the annunciation on the ends of the lines and the transition into the chorus. 
Criteria Met: Meaning, (1/2) Lyrics, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, Music, (1/2) Likeability

A-Yo: 6/10
The meaning is cute and the song as a whole is a cute, fun song. That being said, it’s a little basic and expected for this type of song. Good, just not blowing me away.
Criteria Met: (1/2) Meaning, (1/2) Lyrics, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, (1/2) Music, Consistency, (1/2) Likeability

Joanne: 8/10
The chorus is so beautiful to me and invokes a lot of emotion. The verses I feel have great meaning, but the lyrics themselves are too simple. On the other hand, I feel the simplicity of the music itself is perfect for the song. 
Criteria Met: Meaning, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, Music, Multiple Listens, Consistency, Likeability

John Wayne: 8.5/10
The opening cracks me up! Overall The bridge is amazing and I love the beat of the verses. The background music itself falls a little flat, but the vocals carry this song to an amazing place. 
Criteria Met: Meaning, Lyrics, (1/2) Uniqueness, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, Multiple Listens, Consistency, Likeability

Dancing’ in Circles: 8.5/10
I really enjoy the combination of genres. The “Baby don’t cry” section sounds so amazing! And the bridge with “In the fire I call your name out,” - Love it. Some of the lyrics in the verses I’m half-and-half about, though. 
Criteria Met: (1/2) Meaning, (1/2) Lyrics, (1/2) Uniqueness, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, Music, Multiple Listens, Consistency, Likeability

Perfect Illusion: 8.5/10
The first verse is incredible, the second is good. The repetitive nature at the end is a bit of a turn-off for me- I would have loved a third verse instead of the ending we got. Singing along with this song is fun as hell.
Criteria Met: Meaning, (1/2) Lyrics, Uniqueness, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, Music, Multiple Listens, Likeability

Million Reasons: 4/10
The meaning itself is solid, but the lyrics and structure of the song is basic and nothing new. It’s a lot of country cliches, to be honest. 
Criteria Met: Meaning, (1/2) Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, (1/2) Consistency

Sinner’s Prayer: 4.5/10
The opening and first verse is incredible. Sadly where I would expect the song to pick up in the chorus, it keeps a solid tone. The lyrics are great in some parts and moderate in others. The song goes back and forth from amazing to just ok for me. 
Criteria Met: (1/2) Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, Music, (1/2) Multiple Listens, (1/2) Likeability

Come to Mama: 9/10
Meaning is solid and beautiful. The music is nothing we haven’t heard before, but it certainly is fun and encourages positive things. Overall it’s a good song that harkens back to the great messages of love in previous decades of music. Lyrics are wonderfully written- smart, but upfront.
Criteria Met: Meaning, Lyrics, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, Music, Multiple Listens, Consistency, Likeability

Hey Girl (feat. Florence Welch): 8/10
The message and lyrics are incredible. Gaga’s and Florence’s voices work so well together! I’m very impressed by how different Gaga’s vocals sound here compared to the other songs of the album- it shows diversity. The way Florence’s voice is strong and more mature where Gaga’s takes a sweeter, younger tone is such a beautiful combination that speaks to the meaning of the song. 
Criteria Met: Meaning, Lyrics, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, Multiple Listens, Consistency, Likeability

Angel Down: 7.5/10
One problem I have with the lyrics is the “But the people just stood around” part - people have been organization, active, and pushing for change. To imply they are just turning a blind eye to the injustice this song focuses on is plain incorrect. That aside, the song is solid. There’s not much to go on by way of background music, but the song is clearly meant to focus on the vocals and meaning. 
Criteria Met: Meaning, (1/2) Lyrics, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, (1/2) Music, (1/2) Multiple Listens, Consistency, Likeability

Grigio Girls: 5.5/10
The meaning and execution is really sweet and certainly evokes a desire for female friendship in me. It’s about coming together, having fun, and supporting each other. I’m not super fond of the lyrics and the words specifically don’t really speak to me, but the meaning rings loud. 
Criteria Met: Meaning, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, Consistency, (1/2) Likeability

Just Another Day: 7.5/10
A lighthearted song on an otherwise serious album. It takes the feelings brought up through the previous songs and fills the listener’s heart with a lighter spirit ready to take on the challenges of the day. 
Criteria Met: Meaning, (1/2) Lyrics, Feeling, Individuality, Cohesion, (1/2) Music, (1/2) Multiple Listens, Consistency, Likeability

Angel Down (Work Tape): 7.5/10
Same thoughts as the previous version of the song in the album, obviously. Both sound great- can’t say one is better than the other.

After 3 listens:

Diamond Heart- 8/10

A-YO- 6.5/10

Joanne- 8.5/10

John Wayne- 8/10

Dancin in Circles- 7.5/10

Perfect Illusion- 8.5/10

Million Reasons- 9/10

Sinner's Prayer- 8.5/10

Come to Mama- 8/10

Hey Girl- 7.5/10

Angel Down- 9/10

Grigio Girls- 7/10

Just Another Day- 8/10

Overall score: 8/10

Lord Axel

Diamond Heart
Such a perfect album opener. The lyrics connect herself now to herself before The Fame, and the contrast between the verses and the chorus/bridge is great. The line "I might not be flawless but you know I got a diamond heart" is an amazing self-defining statement.
9/10

A-YO
Classic Gaga with that country twist. The first verse is kinda repetitive with the "blow it in your face" part but makes up for it in the second verse, and the chorus flows beautifully every time. The delivery of "mirror on the ceiling" that takes over a majority of the song after the second chorus is perfection. The instrumental is a little weak at times but is fine overall. The MANiCURE of the album.
8/10

Joanne
Probably the most fitting title track of Gaga's whole discography, and easily the most vulnerable she's ever been on a studio recording. The chorus is both blissfully simple and eerily chilling, and the verses serve emotional lyrics.
9/10

John Wayne
Funny intro, amazing up-and-down vocals on the verses with a powerful delivery of the title at the end of both the prechorus and chorus itself. The instrumental is very interesting but the unintelligible lyrics at the beginning of the chorus and the overly simple line "baby let's get high" kinda bring the song down. Love the bridge and the outro though.
7/10

Dancin' in Circles
I don't really understand the hype around this song. The intro-turned-hook is probably the most The Fame-style vocal delivery on the album, and the theme of the song is obviously a callback to So Happy I Could Die, which are both cool, but while the verses are really good, the song never really goes anywhere and the chorus sounds like its another buildup to something that never comes.
6/10

Perfect Illusion
Obviously because this song was the lead single, it got a lot of harsh criticism, and even though it's quite different than everything else on the album, it's still a solid track that is way too fun to sing out loud. The instrumental is a little sparse in the verses but is oddly haunting in its chorus, especially after the first bridge, and the "modern ecstasy" backing vocals are easily the best part of the whole track and possibly the entire album. The structure is slightly different than what pop songs are accustomed to, and of course the key change and lyrical mix-up in the chorus past that change are a welcome addition, presenting possibly Gaga's most progressive song to date. While commonly called "repetitive", I think it isn't any more strictly pop lyric-wise than most of her previous hits and/or anything else on the radio. Part of me wishes the overall sound of the album was more like what's present here, but I won't complain about how things turned out; I'm just glad that Nile Rodgers-style guitar made the cut in some way.
8/10

Million Reasons
One of the three ballads on the album (more than any of her previous works) that repeats the title so many times that it comes close to beating out other songs like Poker Face for that record, and for that reason I think the song is already getting worn out for me, personally. However, her powerfully classic instrumental-driven vocal delivery in the chorus and bridge is so gripping that it might never get old. An intentional contrast to Perfect Illusion in almost every way.
6/10

Sinner's Prayer
When I first heard this song live on the Dive Bar Tour, it really worried me that the whole album would sound like it. I'm glad it was mostly reserved for this track; while I do enjoy the chord progression of the guitar, it feels weaker in the studio than it did live (similar to the entire Swine instrumental), which really upsets me. My favorite parts of the song are the second verse where she sings about Natalie and the subtle piano that randomly shows up in multiple segments. The vocal change in the final chorus is welcome, especially when the song felt as though it was flatlining.
7/10

Come to Mama
This track sounds incredibly cheesy at first and almost feels too out of place (even more so than PI), however, the lyrics are super inspiring, some of Gaga's best to date, in fact, and the instrumental is both insanely retro and uplifting that it makes itself stand out among the slower tracks. The best line is easily "the only prisons that exist are the ones we put each other in".
8/10

Hey Girl [ft. Florence Welch]
I think this is easily the best song on the album; it's just everything I ever imagined the collab to be and more. The synth-filled instrumental is perfectly heavenly and entrancing with sprinkles of piano and harps and ups-and-downs masterfully woven in between. The lyrics are motivating and both girls' inspiring vocals waver between airy and passionate. It's just so beautifully delivered that I can't even think of any one thing wrong with it. An instant classic that better become a single or I will be incredibly disappointed at the missed opportunity (also because none of my favorite songs from Gaga's albums have become singles since The Fame lol).
10/10

Angel Down
One of my most hyped tracks starts with a haunting instrumental and a powerful opening line, followed by only more intensely thought-provoking lyrics. The song doesn't really go anywhere but it's alright as it's a ballad that does exactly what it aims to do. The harps here sound sadly eerie as a contrast to Hey Girl, and the intentional sudden drop into the outro only furthers that aspect that really wants to get you thinking about the state of the world these days.
9/10

Grigio Girls
My least favorite song on the album; though I respect its origins, it just doesn't click for me. The lyrics are inspiring and very autobiographical so it fits the album's concept in that aspect, but the bland instrumental just blends the whole song together to no real effect. The other girls' voices in some parts and the outro are a nice homey touch. With this and Just Another Day, I wish Gaga did what she did with Born This Way and disperse the Deluxe Edition songs elsewhere in the track listing, because Angel Down would've been better as the true album closer (which I guess it technically is if you count the Work Tape version, but I don't since I put that in a separate album).
5/10

Just Another Day
I love how this sounds like a callback to Gaga's Red and Blue days, since that pretty much hasn't been seen since The Fame. It has that certain retro-synth and piano sound that I'm sure a lot of people have missed; I just wish it was longer. Brian Newman is a great addition, but again, it should've been a longer feature.
8/10

_____

OVERALL
Joanne is the polar opposite of ARTPOP in every way; it's more accessible, more cohesive, more vulnerable. The experimentation isn't as obvious and in-your-face, and it comes through with more genuine moments and thought-provoking themes than its predecessor. Many fans will be turned off by this new direction, but when it comes right down to it, it's still Gaga doing what she loves. I would say Joanne is a grower that might take multiple listens to get accustomed to. Even if you consider it a "bad" Gaga album, it's still leagues better than most stuff that's put out in pop music these days.
7.7/10

ʟɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏʟᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱɪʟᴠᴇʀ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍ ϟ†▽✰𝒿 ~

ARTPOPSYCHOLOGY
12 hours ago, Kayla said:

people have been organization, active, and pushing for change.

But not enough people have been. This was also one of the first songs she's wrote for the album almost two years ago. WAtch her Zane Lowe interview and I think your view will change. Mine did. 

StrawberryBlond

Here it is, @Creyk!

Finally got around to reviewing this album. As some of you know, I'm a self-confessed amateur critic, so I'm used to doing this for the joy of music and Gaga's album is one of many I've heard this year. It's a while since I've done a track by track review, so I'm looking forward to this. Bear in mind that I'm pretty casual when reviewing, so expect a down-to-earth approach.

Here's my scoring system:

Spoiler

I use the 5 star system - 10 star systems confuse me as I'm unsure if even I know what 3/10 and 7/10 signifies, so removing those two options, I've lowered it down to a 5 star system with half-stars, working out to 8 possible scores and they mean the following:

1 star = Awful. One of the worst things I've ever heard.

1.5 stars = Slightly above awful, but not so good as mediocre.

2 stars = Mediocre. Nothing special, but nothing outright terrible.

2.5 stars = Just under acceptable. Usually something half-decent let down by certain weaknesses.

3 stars = Acceptable. Not amazing, but passable.

3.5 stars = Above average. Good song that commands more than a couple of listens.

4 stars = Very good. Solid, safe, great.

5 stars = Excellent. I shy away from saying 'perfect' because that doesn't really exist.

Yes, you might be wondering where the 4.5 stars is but honestly, I never felt the urge to use that one and I usually jump from a 4 to a 5 with very little in between. And like I said, the 10 star system has 2 scores too many for me to properly process what they mean, so I shortened it down to 8. It just works for me. And note that there can be "strong" or "weak" versions of these scores, ones that there just teetering on the brink between the scores. I also don't count bonus tracks towards the score - if it's not the standard version the majority of people buy and experience, then it can't be considered. The same system applies to entire albums. Anything that's a 3.5 star or more is considered a good review from me, especially today. I rarely make higher scores because albums as a whole take a lot to impress me and too many are nothing but filler-fests with good singles.

Without further ado, onto the review:

1. Diamond Heart - 5 stars

Lovely, commanding song that starts off the album perfectly. Finally, we get a story of Gaga's life put into song and the result is something that's beautiful and sad all at the same time. I love the way she throws herself into this vocally and that final bridge where she takes it up a gear is the high point for me. Simply one of Gaga's most personal songs that define her career.

2. A-Yo - 5 stars

One of the catchiest beats Gaga's ever made and one of her raunchiest, yet in a very different way from what she's done before. This is a sex song you might just be able to listen to with your parents. I love when the guitar kicks in towards the end, making you envision a great dance routine. There is a bit of a lack of lyrics but I think the focus is more on the production and feel of the song anyway and it's one of the cases where keeping it simple just works and the chorus carries it through.

3. Joanne - 4 stars

I took a while to appreciate this one. I expected it to bring out so much emotion but it surprisingly left me a bit cold. But after a few listens and relating it to real life experiences, I found the beauty in it. Simple lyrics but beautiful all the same. The chorus is ultimately what lets it down somewhat. I would have much preferred her to refrain from singing "go-iiiiing" and hear her say 'Joanne' instead of 'girl' at the end.

4. John Wayne - 5 stars

Now, this is what I wanted when I heard that Gaga was going country. As someone who struggles to get into country, this is precisely the type of sound I want to hear. Gaga is sass incarnate as she barks out perfectly crafted country anecdotes paired with such sexy sounding production. Again, a simplistic chorus but the verses make up for it so much that it feels good to just let them breathe a bit with something a bit stripped back.

5. Dancin' In Circles - 4 stars

The most hippy-tastic song Gaga has ever made, it makes me think of Free Love. The innuendo is brilliantly done and is cheeky without being too overt. The "baby don't cry" parts manage to make the song ever so sombre for a moment and then we're back to being happy, which is precisely the feelings she's trying to explain. And that sudden vocal outburst towards the end is also stunning. Just needed something a bit more, though, maybe a bit more varied production.

6. Perfect Illusion - 4 stars

Another solid single for her, although not her best, but then, I usually struggle with Gaga lead singles, with the exclusion of Bad Romance. This is a great tune for dancing or driving and letting off steam. The vocals are a bit grating at the "it wasn't looove" parts but then, it's meant to be an angry song, right? And that "illusion, illusion, ILLUSION!" bit towards the end more than makes up for it. Definitely could have done with another verse and the verses in general could have been longer but at least it doesn't outstay its welcome and therefore, short verses are more acceptable.

7. Million Reasons - 5 stars

I'm normally not one for an overabundance of repetition, but this is one of the few exceptions. It's just so emotional as you can feel Gaga's personal story with Taylor through it. Emotion and vocals can be a song's saviour and this song embodies that. Thing is, a song like this is usually written by someone in a perfectly happy relationship...but they make a song like this because they know what sells. But when you know that the writer had written this when they were genuinely on the cusp of breaking up with someone, it hits home because you know the sound of true grief when you hear it. For that reason, I think it's wonderful. 

8. Sinner's Prayer - 4 stars

Now, this is definitely one of Gaga's most mature songs with the most indepth lyrics. I'm still struggling to work out exactly what she means by the first verse, especially the latter half. But this is a true country sound that cannot be denied. You can see Gaga's attempts to hark back to a 60's way of writing with lyrics like "a knock off from Foulton Street" (as if we're all supposed to know where that is!) and that provides so much charm as you really feel like she's truly writing a song the way she wants, even if the verses are a bit too personal to relate to. But the chorus more than makes up for that. It's one that we can all relate to and it really stirs with me personally.

9. Come To Mama - 5 stars

I feel like Gaga made this song for me! I've been saying the same thing for years. What a giddy feeling of happiness this song gives you. It reminds me a great deal of the equally great song, Mad Mad Men by Katie Melua, both in lyrics and production. The song is certainly a very mature sound for Gaga that's dare I say it, a bit too old for her. You don't normally hear someone as young as her singing such a song, that usually comes after years of wisdom but if you've got it in you now, why not? Only slight downside is the very old-fashioned production but when the entire piece makes you feel so happy and makes you feel like getting up to do a dorky dance at a wedding (and I'm certainly not in that camp normally), then who cares?

10. Hey Girl - 2.5 stars

Sorry, Gaga, not feeling this one. A Florence collab is the dream a lot of fans of both artists were chomping at the bit for since forever but this was likely not what they were expecting. I was expecting a far more ballsy Florence, in the vein of What Kind Of Man, not this drab production that goes nowhere and isn't really about anything. When I think of women proudly supporting each other, I think of Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves - loud and brash, not bland and dreary. Florence's feature is woven in in such a unique way that most features aren't and the final bridge is the best bit, but it doesn't make up for wasted potential on the rest of the song. And it's the joint longest song on the album, really outstaying its welcome.

11. Angel Down - 5 stars

Oh. My. God. This is perfect. Joanne was the song that brought her dad and Mark to tears, this one nearly ended me. This is one of the most moving songs Gaga has ever written. This reminds me of the likes of Bob Dylan tracks and the times when artists were trying to be political. Some were overly preachy, some got too pretentious with their metaphors. Gaga just states it so honestly and openly, the way a true political piece should be conducted. The ending is sheer perfection and gave me chills, as I stood there, eyes glazed over and fingers gently dancing in front of my face with every little chime. A beautiful end to a beautiful album. If more artists today wrote about this, music would be in a better place.

12. Grigio Girls - 4 stars

Lovely song about female friendship that is so expertly put down like a classic rock song. Personal, yet somehow managing to connect with everyone and hearing the meaning behind it is really stirring. The chorus is really clever, about blues turning gold and keeping it cold because it's a fired up world. You don't get lyrics like that anymore. Only thing is? I don't think white wine is an all-encompassing drink to really connect. But you can replace it with your favourite instead! Would have preferred this track to have substituted Hey Girl on the standard.

13. Just Another Day - 2 stars

No, no, no. I so rarely dislike a Gaga song, so thank goodness this one was kept as a deluxe track that I didn't have to count anyway. The production is very similar to Mr Blue Sky by ELO. And I quite like that song. But that one has more to it that makes it special. This one just plods on with no direction. The lyrics are too elaborate (yeah, there is such a thing) and try hard. The production is what I call a comedy beat and this is a big crime if you weren't going for comedy. This seems like Gaga's attempt to do a Beatles song and I am not a Beatles fan. I think this kind of track suits a man better and this kind of topic is just too mundane for me and I don't know anyone would want to write this kind of music or find it good. Don't know what she was thinking.

Angel Down (Work Tape) - 5 stars

See previous Angel Down review. This one is good, although I prefer the finished cut a bit better. But this one has the beauty of being a bit rawer. I love the final "foolish and weaker" line - she sounds like a witch, but in the best possible way!

So, this is a great album. I'd say it was a good 4.5/5 stars. I'd rank it as slightly better than AP, although not by much. I'd consider it my favourite Gaga album behind TFM and BTW. Gaga's vocals are great, her production is great, her intention is authentic. This is the album that she's been waiting to get out for a long time and I'm so pleased she's finally got it. Regardless of reviews and commercial reception, I'm sure this will be remembered as her "artist's record" and will hold up better than similar attempts by her peers.

Spoiler'd response for @Kayla :

Spoiler

Just my opinion, but I think there is nothing wrong with being subjective in a review. I think that's what reviewing's all about - listening to music and judging it based on how it makes you feel. I'm not the first to say this either. To do otherwise means you won't know what your reviews mean years from now. You won't remember if you really liked it or if it was just the 'objective' version of you. All my views are proudly subjective because without putting personal feelings on it, a review is meaningless. This is why I think, ironically, a subjective view of music is objective. Most of us do think pretty objectively when it comes to music. We know what off-key sounds like. We can separate clarity from mumbling. We know good lyrics from bad lyrics. We can separate the immature from the mature. We can find production ear splitting or soothing. I don't think you need to be a professional to do this. I once had a very disgruntled person say to me (genuinely shocked, at that) that my reviews seemed so subjective, because wasn't a reviewer supposed to be objective?  I basically gave them this little spiel and added in that I speak for Joe Public, the regular citizen who buys music. Professionals view music differently from us normals. But we're the ones who buy the music, not them. So, I think we could do with more amateur critics telling it like it us for us down-to-earth folks who have too little money to waste on albums we don't like. I honestly think the Metacritic users are more switched on to reality than the professionals. They point out flaws that pass the professionals by! I like to think I am being objective in my reviews - I praise good, clear vocals, rich production, deep lyrics, overall authenticity. The opposite of this takes down my appreciation of an album massively. Sounds pretty objective to me. Just a little bit of food for thought when considering how to review things.

misunderstood

Still not really feeling Sinner's Prayer or Hey Girl. The bass line of SP is so good and the melody is great but I just don't like the song because it stays in one place the entire time. Hey Girl's melody and the vocals and overall vibe are great but it's missing something for me to enjoy it at this moment fully! I'm sure it'll grow on me sooner or later.

my top 5 songs right now:

Come To Mama

Just Another Day

Dancin' In Circles

John Wayne

Diamond Heart

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

My  initial impressions:

A good album with listenable songs, but my least favorite of Gaga's albums.  Probably one reason is the more stripped-down, subdued approach to a lot of the songs.  I was expecting more of the bombast and huge pop that we got with the previous albums.  I get that she probably had the change in direction after the cool reception to "ARTPOP", but still, it feels like there's a "kick" missing to her work here.  But all that being said, if you want a change of pace from Gaga and get more of her slower, softer, more reflective stuff, you should enjoy this. 

• Shadow unpinned this topic

Archived