Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Lets Be Honest: Perfect Illusion is a Letdown

SISTERV

Featured Posts

I've been a fan since the days of pounding out Poker Face and Starstruck on Project Playlist in 2008, to the impossible sophomore hype of The Fame Monster (even non singles) being played like The Pop Bible in every gay club in 2010, to the semi disturbing yet exhilarating culture like obsession of Gaga during the Born This Way era, the eventual collapsing of her tour, the somewhat arrogant and lower quality aesthetic of ARTPOP and it's driving fan pandering sound losing steam....through the hopeful silver lining that was C2C....all the way to the wait this month that was the beginning of Gaga's pre-media-dubbed "comeback era". I've been here for a long time. I'm here now, and albeit interested in Joanne, extremely underwhelmed with Perfect Illusion. Why? Here's a list:

5. The song is so over the top, it literally becomes annoying. It doesn't build. Even it's surprising key change doesn't help it build, but only keeps beating your ears. We get it....you're passionate Gaga. But you used to be able to transform that passion into less obvious, and more clever ways. 

4. It can't decide if it wants to make you Dance or beat someone. And NOT in a mosh pit sort of essence. It's trying to be a pop song with its layout, sitting over a hard-hitting four count beat, introduced by a weird alt electronic shrill, pushed forward by guitar and drums, while still managing to offer Springsteen vocals over a kind of Pat Benetar vibe. And when it tries to throw back into a disco undertone in its breakdown, it leaves you more lost. This song is all over the place. 

3. Lyrically it is not Gaga's most clever work. It reminds me of ARTPOP, a cool sounding concept that is never really delved into in the actual lyrical content. When will Gaga release a song where she doesn't have to explain it's meaning in an interview? Bring the depthy interesting interview talk into the song, not on Elvis Duran. 

2. It's no banger. And it's no great experiment either. I actually think Gaga is good at writing pop. It's when she tries to be deep and artistic and political that things get messy. Gaga's weirdness should come out naturally by trying to write great pop music again. Not trying to use pop to make her weird aesthetic popular. That didn't work on ARTPOP, and it's not working here either. 

1. Perfect Illusion is not single worthy. I understand trying to bring something new to the table, but it must be forward thinking and boundary pushing. (Ahem The Fame/Monster). This sounds exactly like what it is: a pop star looking to maintain relevance by ironically not being able to admit what they're creating is not relevant. You can't force that. No matter how many times you hit the repeat button. 

Last comment: I still have faith for single #2. I don't believe Joanne is over. I do believe that Perfect Illusion is a very annoying attempt at a comeback, and Gaga needs to start doing what she does best again: make a good POP record. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PI is her best song. It's better than Bad Romance. If you don't like it you're a fake fan and have terrible taste. Leave this forum you ungrateful bottom, I'm tired of having to see opinions I don't agree with :fthis:

Spoiler

sarcasm

I agree with you. This song is so unpleasant idk what she was thinking. 

Smarticle

This is the n-th thread saying PI is a flop :awkney:................but I don't disagree with some of your points. :toofunny:

Justice for Grigio Girls!!!

I think the song itself is absolutely fantastic.

Everything surrounding it, particular the promo and performance (or lack thereof), has been less than exciting. I mean, if it is just her and her team laying back more than usual, then so be it.

I just... miss things.

3 points in and ready for more

TheKillerQueen

Perfect Illusion is such a great song. It's one of her best. The instrumental isn't flawless, the lyrics are on point and relatable, super catchy... I agree that the momentum for the album is not even close to TFM, but the music is still amazing. (Atleast PI since it's the only song we've heard) 

Lace up my boots, throw on some leather and cruise.

YeehawKylie

Can't you just comment on one of the 32 other threads that have the exact same title and content, rather than make a brand new one? :madge:

Just now, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

I lowkey agree, but i still like song and her direction. 

Do you though, or are you just forcing yourself? 

M66rPt8.gif

Reality

I actually happen to think that PI is one of her best songs. It's so nice to hear something new and refreshing, but I suggest that if you have this notion about PI, then you should hold on for Joanne. She's already said that it's not going to be a radio-friendly album, and pretty much all of her past works were radio-friendly—with some exceptions.

🃏🖤👹

• Kayla locked this topic

Archived