đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Professing my love for ARTPOP

YeehawKylie

Featured Posts

YeehawKylie

Let me preface that Lady Gaga became a phenomena my senior year of high school and freshman year of college. I always enjoyed her singles and her theatrics. My friends and I saw the iconic Paparazzi performance in our dorm and it was all people could seem to talk about. Then came Bad Romance...

I never listened to The Fame and only heard The Fame Monster when it was played in my friends car or parties. By the time that's Born this Way came around I found Gaga to be too much. She seemed to try to one-up herself. The title track was too preachy for me. (The album remains my least favorite of her discography).

Oddly enough, ARTPOP is what made me a fan of Lady Gaga. I had no anticipation initially, but I love everything about the album and era, the mess that it was. Applause is, in my opinion, her best lead single. I love the video and it's visuals. The album cover is iconic. It's the first thing I think of when I think of Gaga. 

It is the one Gaga album I can listen to start to finish (even if Jewels n' Drugz is hard to get through). Each song is so unique. They are able to stand alone but also work so well on the album. I think Gaga actually did fully realize the ARTPOP concept and it also created her best title track. 

I will always love ARTPOP and I hate how it's viewed as her low point, as I honestly believe it to be her best work. Several factors played into its "underperforming", if you can call it that. But, in the end it's the album I associate with the most and can listen to endlessly. I only wish she at least released Volume II as an EP a la Carly Rae's Side B. 

JustDesserts

Ik this sounds odd but I believe every album should have a balance of single worthy material and non single worthy material. ARTPOP was too good for its own good, if that makes any sense. The first four tracks all had the POTENTIAL to become smashes. Aura is debatable but still. 

YeehawKylie
1 minute ago, JustDesserts said:

Ik this sounds odd but I believe every album should have a balance of single worthy material and non single worthy material. ARTPOP was too good for its own good, if that makes any sense. The first four tracks all had the POTENTIAL to become smashes. Aura is debatable but still. 

It's funny, I agree but disagree. I always debate what would've been a good single post-Applause from ARTPOP. Some days I think so many could have been successful singles, other days I feel like there were too few options. Venus, Do What U Want and Applause were the obvious choices for me. G.U.Y. and Sexxx Dreams I can also see though! Even though I truly wanted a risk to be taken and MANiCURE to be a single. :poot:

JustDesserts
2 minutes ago, koonsisme said:

It's funny, I agree but disagree. I always debate what would've been a good single post-Applause from ARTPOP. Some days I think so many could have been successful singles, other days I feel like there were too few options. Venus, Do What U Want and Applause were the obvious choices for me. G.U.Y. and Sexxx Dreams I can also see though! Even though I truly wanted a risk to be taken and MANiCURE to be a single. :poot:

I feel like MANiCURE wouldve been so good as the lead. LIke a rock n roll musical-esque sing along track. It was also very catchy. Gypsy wouldve been amazing too.

djBuffoon

I would definitely place ARTPOP right after Born This Way as my favorite Gaga album. It is epic, melodic, unhinged, messy, and just beautiful. I absolutely believe it is a classic yet to be discovered, no amount of negativity in the last three years has convinced me otherwise.

PassTheTime

ARTPOP was really underrated by GP and LM was too metaphorical too artsy and now Joanne is exactly the opposite still artsy but other kind :neyde: 

ARTPOP is an underrated Masterpiece, had it been her third album instead of Born This Way, there could have been a huge chance for it to sell millions, more so than Born This Way due to the fact that ARTPOP is way more commercial, by riding on the wave of success TF&TFM had, ARTPOP could have impacted the world tbh. Venus and G.U.Y back then could have easily been just as impactful as Bad Romance. Born This Way during 2011 was too much, it sounded advanced tbh, the themes were too much for the gp. ARTPOP during 2013 was slightly outdated sonically, it felt like an early 2012 album being released at the end of 2013. 

Monster Voices

ARTPOP is amazing! I actually didn't even know there was so much negativity towards it not being on GGD during the era and all. :toofunny: It was a mess single-wise but the album itself is great! 

And Gypsy :sara: ... 

Forever and Always!

For me the moment I heard the Aura leak I was instantly hooked. And then when I heard the album version I knew everything went to ****. I don't think it's a bad album, but I simply cannot understand it, both sonically and conceptually. Everything in it to me is an absolute mess. And that chaos sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. For me it didn't work.

It still has some really really cool moments.

Oh, I'm just visiting-

YeehawKylie
7 minutes ago, Versace said:

ARTPOP is an underrated Masterpiece, had it been her third album instead of Born This Way, there could have been a huge chance for it to sell millions, more so than Born This Way due to the fact that ARTPOP is way more commercial, by riding on the wave of success TF&TFM had, ARTPOP could have impacted the world tbh. Venus and G.U.Y back then could have easily been just as impactful as Bad Romance. Born This Way during 2011 was too much, it sounded advanced tbh, the themes were too much for the gp. ARTPOP during 2013 was slightly outdated sonically, it felt like an early 2012 album being released at the end of 2013. 

I agree with all of this. The album would have been a massive success if released in place of Born this Way. I have always felt that BTW hurt the momentum going into ARTPOP...

Archived