💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Did the VMAs/MTV lost credibility?

Noah

Featured Posts

What does a VMA even mean?

MTV is probably the most biased and most trying to be trendy Network ever. I mean it's great for them to try and stay relevant, but it all started when they toned down on airing music and started airing more and more Reality Shows. It carried on to their Award shows, where they'd snub artists because they weren't 'in' or what's cool at the moment. 

I personally, love Ariana Grande - but did she really deserve her first VMA with Problem? She had better Videos before that. In 2010, the VMAs, milked the shit out of Gaga. In 2012 they didn't even invite her back in. 

Before 2014, MTV paid dust to what Beyoncé did. 'Beautiful Liar', 'Single Ladies' and most of '4' received half of the Awards 'Formation' got. Rihanna only won 3 VMA Awards before getting her Vanguard Award. If her Videos are good for the Vanguard Award - Why didn't they nominate them earlier?

Despite also having amazing Visuals, they haven't made Madonna win a VMA in years - although SHE and MJ is the Reason why Videos have stepped their game up. Now, you can say 'you're calling out the obvious', but actually I am not. There are still a ton of people who give a VMA much more credit than it has. I hope Gaga never performs her lead at that show again. I want them to want her, not her to want them. 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

ryhanna

The VMAs are a promo platform and media circus masquerading as an awards show and nothing more

I think you misspelled lost :awkney:

I think it was a cool idea to give an award for those videos that stand out from the rest but as the years have past the show itself has bevome a freakshow imo, only giving awards to the IT singers. So yes they have lost it and it reflects on the ratings.

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I think you misspelled lost :awkney:

LMAO! Thank you for keeping me in check :sis: 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

Thomas P

All of this is very true. They pay attention to who's doing the best, and award those people accordingly. That's why it's a very predictable show when it comes to who wins, because going in, everyone knows who's gonna take home the awards.

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

4 minutes ago, Noah said:

LMAO! Thank you for keeping me in check :sis: 

You're welcome mimi :hug:

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

BuzzcutSeason

I agree with you. Plus, all night throughout the show they were spamming advertisements with their new shows (more than usual). I think the network might stop being a thing soon if this decline continues. Now they've declined in the one thing that mattered. Its honestly sad.

I wonder if next year they can learn from these mistakes. I hope so. I don't expect MTV, the network, to make a revival but if the VMAs are better next year maybe they can make a deal with abc/fox to air on a prime time channel, and go down that path.

The VMA awards are voted by the people, the nominations generally reflect the culture of that particular year.

It's not something to take that seriously really. The VMAs are and always have been a stage for pop spectacle. 

It's the space where Madonna can wither around in a wedding dress exposing her underwear, where Britney can dance with a python, where Gaga can bleed from the stage, where Miley can strip away her clothes and Disney girl image and twerk.

It's the home of lesbian kisses, it's the home of victory speech interruptions, it's the space where Diana Ross can cop a feel of Lil Kim's exposed breast and it's the home of outrageous fashion.

The VMA awards are never going to be seen the same way as a Grammy or some Academy award. They are not pretending to be a serious award show. The awards are just there to facilitate and encourage the spectacle. That's all that matters.

Thomas P
Just now, BuzzcutSeason said:

I agree with you. Plus, all night throughout the show they were spamming advertisements with their new shows (more than usual). I think the network might stop being a thing soon if this decline continues. Now they've declined in the one thing that mattered.

Its honestly sad. I wonder fit next year they can learn from these mistakes. I hope so. I don't expect MTV, the network, to make a revival but if the VMAs are better next year maybe they can make a deal with abc/fox to air on a prime time channel each year.

I really hope so, cuz at the end of the day it is my favourite award show. I know that sounds stupid, but all my favourite performances by all of my favourite singers have been done there, and some of the moments really do define pop culture.

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

4 minutes ago, BuzzcutSeason said:

I agree with you. Plus, all night throughout the show they were spamming advertisements with their new shows (more than usual). I think the network might stop being a thing soon if this decline continues. Now they've declined in the one thing that mattered. Its honestly sad.

I wonder if next year they can learn from these mistakes. I hope so. I don't expect MTV, the network, to make a revival but if the VMAs are better next year maybe they can make a deal with abc/fox to air on a prime time channel, and go down that path.

I almost feel like MTV is declining so bad now. I already can see them airing Drag Race soon, I mean even VH1 has it now...

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

ReidOne

I hear you, OP! But it's not just an "MTV" problem... it's an "internet" problem... MTV dug their own grave in the early 90's (over 20 years ago) when they began their shift away from "music television" toward reality TV (with The Real World, Road Rules, Singled Out, etc...). 

And then, when the internet came along in the mid/late 90's, their days as being the "tastemakers" of music culture were over. 

MTMyNzU0MTU4NTY5NjYzMTA3.gif

Now that we have YouTube, streaming music services, etc... there is really no need for anyone to look to MTV for the discovery of new music anymore. 

The VMA's is really the final franchise they have left that honors their name. And it is fading fast. 

But it isn't entirely their fault. The world has changed. Mass media no longer controls public consumption of music and entertainment. For better (if you prefer exploring your unique and varied interests) or worse (if you prefer internationally-adored pop anthems). 

Tokyo Rose

It seemed like the usual VMA fare of celebrities.

There were some special years like 2010 where Gaga owned the show without even officially performing.

It was a Beyonce night, but without a hit song on the radio and whole album hidden behind a paywall, the social media hype was weak for her.

BuzzcutSeason
2 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

I hear you, OP! But it's not just an "MTV" problem... it's an "internet" problem... MTV dug their own grave in the early 90's (over 20 years ago) when they began their shift away from "music television" toward reality TV (with The Real World, Road Rules, Singled Out, etc...).

Some of it was also, ruining these shows. Like if they wanted to go down that path, they didn't have to butcher there signature shows to keep them alive. That killed them.

ReidOne
1 minute ago, BuzzcutSeason said:

Some of it was also, ruining these shows. Like if they wanted to go down that path, they didn't have to butcher there signature shows to keep them alive. That killed them.

Sooooo agree!! 

Archived