💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why does the industry deny Grace Jone's impact?

Hexxx

Featured Posts

VIBE-Vixen-Amber-Rose-and-Grace-Jones.pn

553730543dce7b1e993e952074471539.jpg FkgmCh8IGhoEXBkVBA==.jpg

I could go on and on posting side by side pictures but I feel that today's generation/artists don't give enough credit to artist Grace Jones. People praise David Bowie. They Praise Cher. They Praise MJ, Prince, Madonna etc etc etc but no one ever praises Grace Jones and the things she has contributed to the entertainment industry. And i don't think that's fair. I recently became a fan of Grace and the more i watch her performances, interviews and music videos, the more i see how today's artists have stolen her art and modeled in it as if it was something they created themselves and the gp worships them for it not realizing where these ideas came from. And it also bugs me that everyone was like oh they're trying to be like Gaga, and that's true. No one started dressing outrageous until Gaga showed up, but the part that bugs me is that they have no idea that Grace Jones was the one who wore it before any of their faves. I think gaga was probably the only one who vocally stated how Grace Jones was one of her biggest inspirations during TF and TFM era. 

Regardless of how "bitter" and "full of herself" she is, She may not have put out anything recent for people to know about her, however I feel that her contribution to the fashion and music industry should at least be acknowledged in some way or another. If MJ and Madonna are the king and queens of Pop, then Grace Jones is the queen of dressing and acting outrageous. 

grace-jones-by-andrea-klarin.jpg Grace-Jones-maternity-dress-Jean-Paul-Go tumblr_obh6n3VQeg1snlnsio1_1280.jpg

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReidOne

Her visual art is on point. No question. 

But her music sucks. Yep, I said it. Her music absolutely BLOWS. Not a bop to be found. 

Iwontell

Well, she wasn't as popular as Madonna or as Michael...and she also wasn't as innovative as Bowie or Prince - I mean, to many ppl she was just a model turned singer. She is an icon, sure, and her "power dressing" has influenced younger artists for decades (Gaga being an obvious example of it)...but even then you could argue that she didn't come up with those clothes or aesthetics herself for the most part...

I'm not saying anything to drag her, I'm just trying to answer your question. Idk, I think when you appreciate someone's work it really doesn't matter what other ppl think of them...so just enjoy her :)

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

ReidOne
Just now, ReidOne said:

But her music sucks. Yep, I said it. Her music absolutely BLOWS. Not a bop to be found. 

To be fair, "Pull Up to the Bumper" is KIND OF a bop, but that is a reach. And it's the only one. 

Just now, ReidOne said:

Grace has hundreds of albums. She does have BOPs you just ain't looking. Her rendition of La vie en rose is absolutely amazing

15jocart

This is not really pertinent to the topic, but it's Jones', not Jone's. Sorry but it bugged me.

Been a long time but I'm back in town, and this time I'm not leaving without you

Just now, 15jocart said:

This is not really pertinent to the topic, but it's Jones', not Jone's. Sorry but it bugged me.

lol you're right my bad

freebit

I think she'd be brought up more often if she had had bigger, more numerous hits, instead she's slightly on the fringe, like Nico or whoever. 

RAMROD

I believe people mostly appreciate and known her the most as a model

As musician she is kind of alternative kind imho, her music isn't as easy listening

and some people might not understand her singing vocal at all

(ïŸ‰â—•ăƒźâ—•)✧*: unknown.. despair.. a lost (*Ž艞*) ♡♡♡

iMonster
2 minutes ago, Iwontell said:

Well, she wasn't as popular as Madonna or as Michael...and she also wasn't as innovative as Bowie or Prince - I mean, to many ppl she was just a model turned singer. She is an icon, sure, and her "power dressing" has influenced younger artists for decades (Gaga being an obvious example of it)...but even then you could argue that she didn't come up with those clothes or aesthetics herself for the most part...

I'm not saying anything to drag her, I'm just trying to answer your question.

Bolded for accuracy. 

Nothing against Grace but I think her spot is solidified, so people don't have to mention her every time. I only check for Gaga and I know for a fact she's mentioned Grace plenty of times/paid homage. 

Higher
10 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

No bop=bad?

confused.gif

The only song I've heard from her is Slave to the Rythm, but I don't understand how a album with "No bops" means it's a bad album.

Finally feeling free for the night, I got no worries. Finally got a claim on my life, baby, c'est la vie. ☄

2 minutes ago, iMonster said:

Bolded for accuracy. 

Nothing against Grace but I think her spot is solidified, so people don't have to mention her every time. I only check for Gaga and I know for a fact she's mentioned Grace plenty of times/paid homage. 

I remember which is what i love about gaga.

But you get what im saying? Even though people of today may not know about her, their faves do and never credit her at all in their photoshoots and stage outfits. 

ReidOne

17 minutes ago, Hexxx said:

012008_grace1.jpg amber_rose_channel_grace_jones_nude_mic.

You forgot one btw :hor:

Kylie_Minogue_Fever_album_cover.jpg

also, these.... 

020413-fashion-beauty-vintage-icons-grac

606b028d-31bf-4407-a4ca-5b16bd425222-460

Kylie says, "hi" :queenga:

7b1165ace03b52d492e821e58e184424.jpg

@ReidOne like i said, i could go on and on posting side by side photos.

Archived