Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

The Critics Review 'Glory'

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

DiscoHeaven23

The reviews for Britney's new album Glory are beginning to come in. The Metacritic scores are attached. I've included the rating the source gave Britney Jean in 2013, as well.

Scoring:

Universal Acclaim - 81-100

Generally Favorable - 61- 80

Mixed/Average - 40-60

Generally Unfavorable - 21-39

Overwhelming Dislike - 0-19

glory-1-1.gif

The Boston Globe - 80

(Britney Jean score: 30)

Now, there’s “Glory,” Spears’s ninth album and first since 2013’s will.i.am-produced “Britney Jean.” The new album, released on Aug. 26, succeeds where its predecessor stumbled, song-wise.

But more importantly, the album has an unbridled energy that’s refreshing in late summer 2016, when pop-radio playlists are dominated by a hungover malaise where interactions are guarded, and potential romantic partnerships viewed skeptically at best, or as transactions in the making at worst. 

If it had been unearthed from a time capsule, “Glory” would feel more like a credible companion album to Spears’s 2003 album

Source: https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2016/08/24/untethered-from-big-hit-expectations-britney-spears-sounds-like-she-having-fun-her-new/fSkkxDxDBgPo3O77joGLeL/story.html

Slant Magazine - 70

(Britney Jean score: 50)

By eschewing the harsh, dubstep-influenced EDM of her past two albums and embracing subtler pop and R&B sounds, Britney's made her most daring, mature album in years.

The album's only bona-fide misfire is “Private Show,” an innuendo-filled strip-tease of an anthem that's about as sexy as getting a lap dance from someone with the flu, as Britney's trademark adenoidal whine sounds more like a sinus infection. She fares better when her vocals are understated or smoothed out by filters and effects, as they are on “Invitation,” “Just Luv Me,” and “Coupure Électrique” (which, perhaps coincidentally, is French for “blackout”), three songs that wouldn't sound out of place on Selena Gomez's Revival.

Source: http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/britney-spears-glory

New York Times - 50

(Britney Jean score: 40)

Throughout the album, Ms. Spears’s voice — no doubt still processed, but far less obviously robotic — has emphatically returned to the foreground. In verses, she recalls the flirty singer, with the knowing scratch in her little-girl voice, who conquered 1990s pop. She sounds more involved, more present, than she has in a decade

Yet even with her voice upfront, Ms. Spears isn’t singing anything particularly personal.

Ms. Spears, with turbulent decades of experience, might connect her life with her songs, as divas do, and find herself forging a stronger bond with listeners. But “Glory” doesn’t make that reach. It’s as if, after all her fans and fame, Ms. Spears can still only present herself as that most generic pop commodity: a sexpot.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/arts/music/britney-spears-glory-review.html

The Child

Gimme that acclaim that I love!

tumblr_mmfoxrdL5E1r3ty02o1_400.gif

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

djBuffoon

This will definitely receive better notices than Britney Jean. I don't believe Glory will stand the test of time, but it's certainly a worthwhile album from an artist I'm usually neutral on.

Iwontell

Yay, congrats!!!

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

Lucas

Metacritic scores are not relevant. Some critic gave a 0 to Born This Way and said the music came out of Gaga's butthole, they are unprofessional, their opinion shouldn't be taken in consideration :excuseu:

Bloody

I hope it gets good scores cause it has great songs, but in the end it's not that important.

I enjoy it myself and thats what I care about.

SlayGagaloo
14 minutes ago, GagaInTheZone said:

Metacritic scores are not relevant. Some critic gave a 0 to Born This Way and said the music came out of Gaga's butthole, they are unprofessional, their opinion shouldn't be taken in consideration :excuseu:

Yeah, what a rat tbh. I mean Rolling Stones listed BTW #11 on their "50 greatest female albums of all time". 

Haters gonna hate anyway 

Over.

Slayer

It's such a hit and miss album though. :toofunny:

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

Anderson123

I'm happy to see Britney releasing music that sounds better than her previous album, but at the same time it's sad to see that people don't really expect that much quality from Britney because obviously she's not a good singer, but she has become an icon.

The album is not bad, but it's "good for a Britney album". It's an album with songs that could've been recorded by Selena Gomez. I'm surprised to see her fans get SO happy about it though, it's like they don't really ask her to do that much with her career that any little effort is a huge step for them.

PartySick
5 minutes ago, Alan123 said:

The album is not bad, but it's "good for a Britney album". It's an album with songs that could've been recorded by Selena Gomez. I'm surprised to see her fans get SO happy about it though, it's like they don't really ask her to do that much with her career that any little effort is a huge step for them.

Tbh, I don't admire Britney for the music. I admire the way she recovered from her total breakdown and still lives with mental illness every day but puts on that strong face and tells the world "It's Britney, bitch :sis:"

Though Glory is full of bops that'll tide me over until we get LG5. That's all I was really asking of her in terms of music :music: it does showcase her natural voice in some tracks too, so there's another plus. It's definitely one of my favorites from her so far :happy:

🖤

Archived