Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Gaga: the least "pop" popstar

Quark

Featured Posts

o<(0_0)>o

To start, Gaga is obviously a popstar. She has been one since her debut. But I think that Gaga is actually the least "pop" popstar there is. The reason I say this is because she has always deviated from what we consider normal or acceptable from a popstar and from pop music in general. For example pop music is supposed to be trendy, generic, catchy, and have relatable themes like love, heartbrake, friendships, and having fun. Popstars are supposed to sound smooth, slick, sexy, sometimes auto tuned, and repetitive. And yet here comes Gaga with catchy but weird music, with underground sounds (Gothic, Mariachi, Complextro, Metal, Middle-eastern, jazz), with strange vocals that range from opera, to screamo, to talking, to just simply sounding crazy and demonic. And then she makes ambitious statements about fame, art, sex, and acceptance. To continue, Gaga then proceeds to deviate greatly from her pop music  career and then stars making jazz albums with a 90 year old jazz legend. Another staple of popstars is that they are supposed to be pretty, sexy, conventional, and have perfectly staged productions and choreography sequences. And then here comes Gaga in a bubble dress, in a meat dress, wearing prosthetic horns on her face, and letting someone vomit on her as part of some type of performance art while her guitarists provide heavy metal guitar riffs. So is Gaga a popstar? Yes, she is, just not the kind of popstar that you are used to.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KURUSHITOVSKA

I think she is the last "pop star" that is really involved in her whole work and really cares about art.

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

kabirartfling

Apart from her performances and appearence, i consider her music very 'pop' pop music! She is a great musician, knows how to write catchy choruses! The only album which is not very pop, would be btw! 

Give your love to me

1 minute ago, kabirartfling said:

Apart from her performances and appearence, i consider her music very 'pop' pop music! She is a great musician, knows how to write catchy choruses! The only album which is not very pop, would be btw! 

Yet it's my favorite one! :laughga:

We don’t really need to talk too much, show each other what we know 🦋

I don't even know what you mean but 1. i don't think this is a good thing 2. she is one of the popstars at the forefront of pop and i'm certain she is proud of that. Pop music will never be low brown.

KinneyUnderYou
5 minutes ago, Enigma said:

o<(0_0)>o

I'm living for your new threads. The way you put words this time, It's honestly way better! Keep it up :D

This was interesting to read.

dannydevito

this is not a question you're not asking anything you're making an affirmation

Just now, caseymonster said:

Adele says hi

Adele's music is pretty much pop. Her look is pretty much what is safe and mainstream. The only thing she doesn't do is the stage shows. So she is kind of like a Whitney Houston. But still pretty much pop.

1 minute ago, KinneyUnderYou said:

I'm living for your new threads. The way you put words this time, It's honestly way better! Keep it up :D

This was interesting to read.

Yuuri

Lady Gaga isn't a POPstar. She's a star and an artist, trying to clean up after other's messes.

B-fmn27IIAA6rJL.jpg

And breaking hips/feet.

demi-lovato-lg.jpg

homomo

She's someone who has mastered pop, and is now creating her own rules.

Benji

The more someone tries to make Gaga an "outside of the box" artist, the more she appears to be trapped in one.

If we limit her "group" to say Katy Perry, Britney, Demi etc. then yeah, I suppose you could say she's more experimental with her sound(ish). If you start comparing her to artists that she shares the chart with though... she's nowhere near as experimental as a lot of them. Even an artist like Justin Bieber has evolved his sound further than Gaga has from debut to last release.

I've never cared for trying to place Gaga above or below other artists. Enjoy the music or don't, no one cares.

Archived