Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Hypothetical LG5 Cover Design

edgy

Featured Posts

Disclaimer

Before you stans have a meltdown, this is a hypothetical design that I'd wish to see for LG5's cover design.

--

Intro

As I am on break from studying Graphic Design at art school, I decided to take a stab at designing a cover for LG5. I took some liberties by a) assuming that LG5 would be titled "Metamorphosis" and b) that Gaga's name and image was not absolutely necessary in this design. Please read through the concept portion of this thread as it is mainly conceptual and let me know what y'all think.

As we all well know from the countless rumors that get us all excited and the meltdowns when those rumors turn out to be just that, Gaga hasn't released a proper solo album in almost three years (no shade, C2C). Reception from ARTPOP was, to some, subpar. With some saying it was overhyped to others saying that it flopped (though it sold pretty well), it is a general consensus that it did not meet the expectations that many, including Gaga, wanted it to be. This, in turn, gradually turned Gaga away from pop-electronic-rave music and led her to find solace in jazz (the joy of pure singing, as she quips). As time passed, she would explore different areas of her life, from acting to cooking to horse ridding, she was able to put ARTPOP behind her and just enjoy life. 

--

Front Cover

gaabsXO.jpg

Back Cover

7nHmJxC.jpg

--

Concept

The concept is simple. A reference David Bowie's The Next Day album cover (we all know how she loves her Bowie), the adapted cover of ARTPOP would feature a white circle that would cover Gaga's face and body, a brush stroke placed over "ARTPOP" and the new album's name on the upper left hand corner. Jonathan Barnbrook, the designer of Bowie's penultimate album cover, noted that the "obscuring of the photograph connotes 'forgetting or obliterating the past'", a concept that would be apt for LG5 as a potential album to demonstrate Gaga's growth and maturity as an artist from her previous solo studio album and its potential themes of rebirth and revival.

thenextday_20130207_164234.jpg

Additionally, it takes the blue Koons ball from the ARTPOP album cover/era and abstracts it to its most simplest form: a white circle. In doing so, it allows the album to not only transform as a blank canvas (e.g. Applause performance at the VMAs), but also can also act as an egg (bare with me y'all), an entryway, the beginning of something new.  

Lady-Gaga-Applause.jpg?itok=6uKWml4Y

The back of this hypothetical LG5 cover would also mimic the front: obscuring the previous album's name and song titles and replacing it with the new, the old barcodes from ARTPOP being covered by the new barcodes.

--

Well, if you actually went through all that, I a-p-p-l-a-u-d you (Ha, see what I did there). This is very conceptual and as such, would upset not only the Bowie fans for the clear and obvious reference, but the Gaga stans that would have wanted her face and body to be on the cover. Thus, I don't expect much from this other than I was bored and had the idea ...

But Gaga, if you're reading this for who knows what forsaken reason and you're interested in this, hit me up. I'd love to add a piece to my portfolio. ;-)

--

Thanks for reading!

1 minute ago, kabirartfling said:

Sorry, not here for it!

It's polarizing ... like our fave. :toofunny:

Slayer

That's literally just copying the Bowie cover but with a circle instead of a square. :laughga:

maxresdefault.jpg

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

She would be accused of copying once again

I like the connection but i'd prefer it to be more subtle, like...some ruins of a statue on the cover or inside the booklet

Neight Shayde

she still stood by all of what ARTPOP offered and all of the collaborations she did with Jeff Koons. It's a good idea but knowing gaga, ya know

RAMROD

What of she already give out the cover, what if these colour bars is the cover? 😂😂😂😂

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

6 minutes ago, Slayer said:

That's literally just copying the Bowie cover but with a circle instead of a square. :laughga:

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, most people will say its copying, but I'd like to think that it's taking a similar graphic treatments from Bowie and imbuing it with different intentions and new meanings to create a message separate from Bowie's design.

Never said this design would be safe, though. :gaycat:

FlopSlurper

I love it and I love the idea behind but I'd prefer an album cover with a new picture of Gagz from a new photoshoot. :emma: 

Slayer
1 minute ago, edgy said:

Yeah, most people will say its copying, but I'd like to think that it's taking a similar graphic treatments from Bowie and imbuing it with different intentions and new meanings to create a message separate from Bowie's design.

Never said this design would be safe, though. :gaycat:

I just think she is more creative and innovative than that. Regardless of whether there are different meanings behind it, it's still plagiarism, sorry.

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

Archived