💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why did Gaga decrease in commercial success?

Quark

Featured Posts

Quark

o<(0_0)>o

During The Fame and The Fame Monster eras, and to some extent the Born This Way era, Gaga was at the top of the music industry. She was a phenomenon that comes once in a lifetime. To put it simply, no one could top her or outdo her musically, visually, and specially commercially.  But somewhere along the lines she lost a big part of her commercial success. Now, just about everyone's music sales have decreased, but it Gaga's case she had a big decrease in sales compared to others. So what do do think is or are the reasons why she greatly decreased in commercial success. 

Seeka

Nope. No. No.

tumblr_ne6kvkhoIQ1re3x32o1_250.gif

tumblr_inline_mkutrnrQfp1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_inline_mi2as0f3ua1qz4rgp.gif

Close this thread.

Or I will surgically remove all lips of all who mention ARTPOP.

Shipper

She decided quality is better than quantity, music not the bling, and all that jazz.

tumblr_n1dhrwc0si1skxvc0o1_500.gif

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

Rat Boy

During the ARTPOP album cycle, Gaga was going through a rough patch. Her unhappiness showed through the quality of music. Don't hurt me lol.

"dont trust this crooked manipulative rat!" - @NichuuB

JustPokeHerFace

1. She got extremely famous extremely fast. Most artists don't see blockbuster success until later albums (i.e. Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Madonna, ect.) Since she reached such a massive height so early in her career, a decline afterwards was inevitable.

2. BTW was not as radio-friendly or aesthetically digestible as TF and TFM (even though it is one of my favorite albums from her). She was also overexposed by the end of the era. 

3. ARTPOP was a combination of the wrong sound and a series of bad moves by her team during a difficult period in Gaga's life.

But Cheek to Cheek, despite being a collection of jazz covers, sold pretty well. I'm not expecting her to outsell any of her previous albums due to the massive decline of music sales, but combined with streaming, good PR, and the right material, I think she can have a solid comeback with LG5. 

imwoahvicky

I have a feeling that the hype died down for her and people kind of grew sick of her after her always being on the scene 24/7

GP most likely got tired of her doing 'crazy' things relating to her outfits and the vomiting on stage, etc.

Also, ever since streaming appeared she ofc would face a decline since she isn't that powerful when it comes to streaming unlike other artists.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Also ARTPOP was a mess and it didn't appeal to many I don't believe. She had tons of competition and Katy basically beat her when it was Roar vs. Applause

She also was going through a tough time and media took advantage of dragging her down which can affect the publics view on her and causing a decline in sales 

⚜ Roll Deep ⚜

politicqxs

Everything went wrong. Everything. 

giving up sodomy and moving to 🇦🇪 converting to ☪ and marrying four girls

Yuuri

She didn't milk the hell out of her albums. Plus she was over exposed, I'd expect the same thing to happen to The Weeknd.

Stephen

ugh who cares :air: this thread has been made a million times. let the poor horse RIP already

alaska5000

Easy. Born This Way was polarizing and she needed a chill era but instead she served messy queen via ARTPOP and nobody wanted it! The end.

Bradley

I don't think it's possible to stay on the peak forever, but I do believe that if you do the work that is supposed to be done, you can still achieve decent commercial success no matter what.

ARTPOP might not have sold more than Prism or BEYONCE, but it was still commercially successful to some extent. A lot of albums, even those which were released in 2013/2014, Nicki Minaj's The Pinkprint for example, failed to sell 2.5 million copies worldwide, which is the figure attained by ARTPOP. artRAVE grossed $83 million from 79 shows, which is an achievement a lot of B-list singers wish to attain. Selena Gomez, Jessie J, Lorde have videos that garner much more views than Gaga's, but people just aren't interested in spending money for their products. Bangerz was Miley Cyrus's peak but guess what? Bangerz Tour only grossed $63 million from 78 shows and that was her most successful era. Hell even Jennifer Lopez and Britney Spears were inferior to Gaga in 2013/2014, and people were calling Gaga a has-been in those years. The media magnified the comparison with Katy Perry and made ARTPOP look like a complete failure, when in fact the summary provided by Wikipedia concluded that it was actually an album that was considered commercially successful.

The reason why ARTPOP was not able to produce its fourth and fifth singles was because of the failure of G.U.Y., which was not the GP or the song's fault, but Gaga and her team's in not promoting the song at all. The two versions of the videos garnered over 110 million views and obviously it would have had more if Gaga bothered to perform it live on TV. I am sensible of the fact that she wasn't mentally comfortable at that time, but I'm just listing out the reasons why 'Gaga declined in commercial success'.

As for Cheek to Cheek which sold 1.2 million copies worldwide, spawned a tour and won a Grammy, it is regarded as successful for a jazz album, which did not have the luxury of radio airplay other mainstream albums do. 

I'm able to enjoy music regardless of its sales, so it's not like I will cherish an album much more if it sells well, but like it or not, Lady Gaga remains an A-list singer respected critically and commercially (to some extent, especially if promotion is properly done), and is here to leave her mark as a legendary musician.

Spoiler

And those are only her music endeavours, we all know she's been seeing Bradley Cooper and is developing as an actress, both on the small and big screens.

migamiga

It's not that uncommon for megastars with hot shot debuts- Mariah and Beyonce's 2nd album "underperformed", Pink's 3rd, etc. Gaga just didn't hit her "sophomore slump" until ARTPOP. And to be honest, I think people just lost interest. She wasn't really doing anything out-of-the-box (esp for someone with her notorioty). I mean, I was kinda of bored with her that era. She just didn't deliver with pazazz like she did with TF/TFM and BTW. 

Archived