movie

Horror Media Discussion

n0ne

Featured Posts

retroglamx
2 hours ago, blackstar said:

I'm planing to watch it for a years but somehow I never did :diane:

I have only seen this iconic toilet scene

Don't wait too long dear, the shorts are amazing and sick and totally unsettling. Both parts are scary AF.

Pink flamingos always fascinated me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miker

A new TV series coming out in the Fall by FOX Broadcasting. I loved the original movie, The Exorcist so I will give a look when it arrives.

Mars..........or bust!

Ambrosia

I'm an odd duck when it comes to horror.  I thought the first Nightmare on Elm Street was very scary - but the others are ridiculous.  The first Friday the 13th was good, again, the others were only watchable as 'fun sleepover with friends', movies. 

I like build-up and suspense - The Shining, for instance.  I thought The Exorcist was horrifying but my belief system has changed since then so if I watched it for the first time today, I don't think I'd find it as scary as I did then.  The Omen and Salem's Lot are also classics due to the suspense, build-up, and level of acting.

I think I'm alone here, but the first The Conjuring put the zap on my head.  That movie scared me on a level I can't explain and kept me up for nights.  I even awoke at 3:07AM a few times and was too petrified to get out of bed or close my eyes until it turned 3:08.  :omg:    But then, I saw the movie, Annabelle, and it didn't scare me a bit.  Neither did Insidious, so not quite sure what's wrong with me.  The Ring was a great flick I found creepy, but not really scary.  It's counterpart, The Grudge or The Ring 2 was not scary to me.

The only thing I can think of in regards to The Conjuring is that is was basically a remake of Amityville Horror and they are based on true events [supposedly], and I saw a lot of the same concepts happen in both movies so I guess it got me thinking, what if any part of it were true?

I like that horror preys on our baser instincts, tries to expose them.

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. -Socrates

Miker

You can't forget about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre which is a movie I can watch right now and get a chill from it. Leatherface was horrific in it and because his face was concealed for the most part it added to the intensity. 

Halloween is another series I liked for the horror although I felt they made too many sequels. The first 4-5 were great. 

Happy horrors all! 

Mars..........or bust!

Ambrosia
12 minutes ago, Miker said:

You can't forget about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre which is a movie I can watch right now and get a chill from it. Leatherface was horrific in it and because his face was concealed for the most part it added to the intensity. 

Halloween is another series I liked for the horror although I felt they made too many sequels. The first 4-5 were great. 

Happy horrors all! 

Forgot about Halloween - yes, the first one was very good!!  That theme music - superb!  One of the best movie themes to date.

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. -Socrates

dylanlioncourt

It depends on what type of horror you are looking for. I've grown up with it my whole life so I've seen the mainstream series along with a lot of underrated B movies and indie horror.

I would Nightmare on Elm Street is a good start, along with Halloween, Scream, Night of the Living Dead, The Exorcist, Amityville Horror, as well as most of the big name popular franchises of the series are well.

Some underrated beauties would be Dario Argento's work like Suspiria, Inferno, Demons which are very fun Italian movies with great imagery and beautiful soundtracks. Candyman is also a great film which toys with the viewer.

But my favorites will always be the B movies; anything from Night of the Demons, Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II, Curtains, Tourist Trap, Return of the Living Dead, along with others.

It Follows was one of the best movies in recent times. The soundtrack is just divine.

dylanlioncourt
4 hours ago, blackstar said:

I usually hate remakes but this one looks kind of cool (based on the trailer). I'm hoping they won't **** it up. :poot: 

It's the third installment after Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. Not a remake.

blackstar
38 minutes ago, dylanlioncourt said:

It's the third installment after Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. Not a remake.

oh... I thought it's a remake because of that "found footage" style of filming. I can't wait to see it tho. :excited2:

Dilated, falling free in a modern ecstasy

dylanlioncourt
1 hour ago, blackstar said:

oh... I thought it's a remake because of that "found footage" style of filming. I can't wait to see it tho. :excited2:

Yeah, also because it's just titled "Blair Witch" with no 3. But it is a sequel. Though, I wonder how they will do it this time around. I love how they implied everything rather showing whatever it was stalking them. I hope they do not do away with that. Imagining the worst is scarier than a random CGI monster/witch.

n0ne
4 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

The only thing I can think of in regards to The Conjuring is that is was basically a remake of Amityville Horror and they are based on true events [supposedly], and I saw a lot of the same concepts happen in both movies so I guess it got me thinking, what if any part of it were true?

Since both conjuring movies based on actual paranormal investigations, The Warrens did; they in part are true. Maybe 1st film was a little similar to Amityville, but better. In the Amityville movies, all they had to do is leave the house/make the father leave the house for things to return to normal. In the conjuring movies its always something more in depth.

The warrens investigated Amityville but they're not going to explore that in the movies because of how many times it's been done before. And I'm glad they aren't.

51 minutes ago, dylanlioncourt said:

Yeah, also because it's just titled "Blair Witch" with no 3. But it is a sequel. Though, I wonder how they will do it this time around. I love how they implied everything rather showing whatever it was stalking them. I hope they do not do away with that. Imagining the worst is scarier than a random CGI monster/witch.

Direct sequel to the original film, about the brother of heather from the original film searching for her, after seeing evidence that she's still alive.

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

Yo GagaGaga

i've found my people. I'm like most of the people here, movies made before 1990 I only watch bc they are iconic, but none of them are really scary. These are my favorites at the moment

The Babadook, The Uninvited, I Know What You Did Last Summer (the sequel was hilariously bad tho), Scream 1, 2 and 4, The Shallows, 10 Cloverfield Lane, It Follows, Serial Mom etc. etc. etc.

And the ones I found laughable while my parents were scared watching them: Jaws, Children of the Corn, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Paranormal Activity, The Blair Witch Project, and It

Hauser
9 hours ago, Red said:

Now, seriously, is The Conjuring (and the other movies of the series) good? I haven't watched new horror movies for years cause I find them all tacky but people say it is good and I want to give a try :emma: 

In my opinion both The Conjuring 1&2 were amazing, a breath of fresh air. The same for Sinister, Insidious, and The Babadook when it comes to new horror movies. 

n0ne

I also don't believe the notion that sequels  and remakes suck.

For example: The Evil Dead and Hills Have Eyes remakes were definitely better than their originals.

And conjuring 2, insidious 2, sinister 2, purge: anarchy, and paranormal activity sequels were better than their predecessors imo.

I think James Wan, Simon Barret, and Adam Wingard will become modern horror icons in the likes of Wes Craven and  John Carpenter. They have their own distinct styles and are responsible for exceptional films.

James is behind/produced the Saw series, Insidious series, Conjuring series, Annabelle, and Lights Out to name a few.

Simon and Adam have worked together on You're Next, the new Blair witch, The Guest, and segments for the ABCs of death and the first 2 VHS films.

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

Cage Ata
2 hours ago, lilmonster93 said:

I also don't believe the notion that sequels  and remakes suck.

For example: The Evil Dead and Hills Have Eyes remakes were definitely better than their originals.

And conjuring 2, insidious 2, sinister 2, purge: anarchy, and paranormal activity sequels were better than their predecessors imo.

I think James Wan, Simon Barret, and Adam Wingard will become modern horror icons in the likes of Wes Craven and  John Carpenter. They have their own distinct styles and are responsible for exceptional films.

James is behind/produced the Saw series, Insidious series, Conjuring series, Annabelle, and Lights Out to name a few.

Simon and Adam have worked together on You're Next, the new Blair witch, The Guest, and segments for the ABCs of death and the first 2 VHS films.

I think the problem with a lot of remakes and sequels - especially the horror genre is that its a money making machine. The producers and teams know they can always profit from these films and in doing so target the current younger generation as opposed to appealing to the true fans. Just look at the 2010 adaption of A Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist reboot and even the Evil Dead. I helped on the Evil Dead reboot as a runner and my friend was a body doubled since it was filmed in my country, New Zealand. 

Jeepers Creepers is another favorite of mine! I dont think it was particularly scary, and it didn't rely on cheap jump scares like a lot of modern horror films. But the premise was truly creepy. 

n0ne
28 minutes ago, Cage Appleby said:

I think the problem with a lot of remakes and sequels - especially the horror genre is that its a money making machine. The producers and teams know they can always profit from these films and in doing so target the current younger generation as opposed to appealing to the true fans. Just look at the 2010 adaption of A Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist reboot and even the Evil Dead. I helped on the Evil Dead reboot as a runner and my friend was a body doubled since it was filmed in my country, New Zealand. 

Jeepers Creepers is another favorite of mine! I dont think it was particularly scary, and it didn't rely on cheap jump scares like a lot of modern horror films. But the premise was truly creepy. 

I agree to an extent, I believe they're marketed that way because most of the horror fans today are teens and young adults. Older generation fans are harder to please because a lot of them already written off our generation's horror movies without giving them a chance, just like they do with our music, shows, and movies in general.

The Elm street and poltergeist remakes weren't great, especially the latter which fails in comparison to the original and the reviews show that. But the Evil Dead remake, did a great job of mixing the style of the original with modern themes and modern horror tropes. And people responded to it positively; both newcomers and fans of the original trilogy. Could be because the remake had Sam Raimi (the man behind the original) produce it.

Archived