Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

M.I.A. slams MTV VMAs for 'racism sexism classism elitism'

Coop

Featured Posts

Jenniferella
1 minute ago, Britney Spears said:

Because ACCORDING to critics it's a bad song.You can believe that it's a good song,nobody can take that from you. And the lyrics are VERY pretentious in my opinion. With YOUR logic,we can never discuss music because it's 100% subjective so it's pointless

You can discuss music. But you can't build your statements as facts ("this song IS blablabla" for example) if you're commenting on the quality.

I thought that would be kind of logical for someone who has Britney on one's avi. 

11 minutes ago, DrewStevens said:

Alessia Care had a top 10 hit this year. Also her video for Wild Things has 21M views, Borders has only 3M views. It's pretty clear who was more relevant on 2016.

What does being more relevant mean to you ? 

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monsterdino
Just now, DrewStevens said:

Ok so it would have 15M views in almost a year. Alessia still got more views on a period of three months and she got a hit song.

If the video was not deleted and was not released first on Apple believe me that it would have more than 21M, there was so much attention around the video but they were negative and everyone was calling MIA and the muslims terrorists and that's why it was taken down.

DrewStevens
Just now, DevilHeart said:

What does being more relevant mean to you ? 

Actually engaging with the general public. It's not that MIA isn't relevant, it's that Alessia Care was clearly more relevant as an artist than MIA in 2016. 

Jenniferella

Actually engaging with the general public. It's not that MIA isn't relevant, it's that Alessia Care was clearly more relevant as an artist than MIA in 2016. 

Does relevance say anything about quality in your opinion ? 

DrewStevens
2 minutes ago, monsterdino said:

If the video was not deleted and was not released first on Apple believe me that it would have more than 21M, there was so much attention around the video but they were negative and everyone was calling MIA and the muslims terrorists and that's why it was taken down.

You believe, that's the key word.

I don't think Wild Things should be nominated either but that doesn't mean Borders was popular enough to get a nomination.

monsterdino
1 minute ago, DrewStevens said:

You believe, that's the key word.

I don't think Wild Things should be nominated either but that doesn't mean Borders was popular enough to get a nomination.

I said that I believe it was on Apple for 1 month, the rest are all facts henny

DrewStevens
2 minutes ago, DevilHeart said:

Does relevance say anything about quality in your opinion ? 

No, but quality has nothing to do who gets nominated for the VMAs and we all know that.

Jenniferella

No, but quality has nothing to do who gets nominated for the VMAs and we all know that.

Then we agree

DrewStevens
1 minute ago, monsterdino said:

I said that I believe it was on Apple for 1 month, the rest are all facts henny

No, they are not. Assumptions are not facts. Logic 101

monsterdino

No, they are not. Assumptions are not facts. Logic 101

...You clearly didn't read the comments when the video came out on Youtube the first time, and MIA has confirmed on Periscope that she took down the video because of the comments to keep the heat down from the negativity. Make some research before you speak.

DrewStevens
6 minutes ago, monsterdino said:

...You clearly didn't read the comments when the video came out on Youtube the first time, and MIA has confirmed on Periscope that she took down the video because of the comments to keep the heat down from the negativity. Make some research before you speak.

Still no facts. You can't make a research about popularity without numbers. Yes, Borders went slightly viral when it premiered because it was controversial, but did it actually gained popularity and stayed relevant for more than a week? No. 

monsterdino
1 minute ago, DrewStevens said:

Still no facts. You can't make a research about popularity without numbers. Yes, Borders went slightly viral when it premiered because it was controversial, but did it actually gained popularity and stayed relevant for more than a week? No. 

Because she herself took it down :wtf:

EDIT: Please let just end it here, its pointless to still talk about this :laughga:

Whether the song was good, had a meaningful message or video is subjective, but more importantly it's irrelevant.

For whatever reason the panel at the VMAs decided not to nominate this song, most likely being it was not popular enough- The song didn't chart on any mainstream chart list in any country and received mixed reviews by critics. There is no reason to believe they that they didn't nominate it out of prejudice or fear of controversies, especially when other songs that touch on similar topics got nominated. There are literally thousands of songs released every year, and only five nominations per category- it doesn't make sense for her to call them racist/sexist/elitist solely based on the fact she didn't get nominated. 

And maybe it's just me but I find it ironic for a song that is trying to raise awareness on issues such as privilege, money divides and egos she seems awfully concerned with winning award that she says she doesn't need recognition from.

Kermit
3 hours ago, monsterdino said:

Oh ok so racism, sexism, classism and elitism are too taboo to speak up about so we should just pretend like they dont exist? What's wrong with you and the 39 people that liked this?

EDIT: Born This Way sure did have awards and materalistic value in return for the good message why should this message not get one?

Have any of you kids ever wondered that MAYBE M.I.A. hasn't gotten a materialistic emblem because she DOES NOT HAVE PROPER PROMOTION as the people who do receive it? Where the HELL did I ever say that people shouldn't speak up about political issues? I, of all people, are aware and against racism, sexism and elitism. MIA has talent and she may be a beautiful person at heart, but she, just like anyone else without mainstream promotion, cannot jump up and say it's about every political inequality in the book. Don't quote me, again. 

“For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” ― Jean Dubuffet

Kermit

and before some of you try and hop aboard the train of things that are no predominantly present in the situation- Remember that MIA, at one time, was an artist who did appeal to the GP/mainstream viewers, yet still carried her messages across. At the time, MIA does not have proper management. So no, she's not going to have as much publicity/promotion as she did starting nearly a decade ago and ending in half. 

"Paper Planes", which was a song that not too many people understood the true meaning of, was pretty popular. (The song sounds mid-tempo and happy, but it's not really if you understand the lyrics well). At that time, I remember MTV/the GP didn't like ANY artist who appropriately addressed political issues. One of you bought up how Lady Gaga's BTW was taken pretty well. Mainly, because its main focus is for LGBT equality and believing in one's self, something the GP will be more than happy to never-get-enough-of. 

For an artist like MIA, Paper Planes was pretty popular, catchy and symbolic. 

220px-MIAPaperPlanesUKcover.jpg

Back in 2009, it won a GRAMMY for record of the year. Now, if that's not enough to prove that MIA is just one of the more controversial artists, who obviously won't continuously appear on mainstream/below average award shows, like the VMAs, I don't know what is. The VMAs is like pre-school, compared to the GRAMMYs. This woman, whom has proven her activism and her powerful messages through countless of her songs, had won a GRAMMY in 2009 and for some reason, is back to wanting a VMA? People like Miley, go to VMA. Artists like MIA, go to GRAMMYs and award shows that will actually appreciate the message, far more than the liking of "Future", "Drake", "Miley" and "Taylor". Most teens/preteens watch the VMAs due to the same album that Taylor puts out every year, the same new-teen-heartbreak boy that every year introduces and the same yearly viral-trap-songs. Not to hear important political messages. 

A lot of you are attacking each other in this thread, it's disgusting. I shouldn't have to point something this obvious out to you guys. The same ones that are doing this are the same users whom I find mature, respectable and aware of things like this. Stay classy, guys.

“For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” ― Jean Dubuffet

Archived