Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

M.I.A. slams MTV VMAs for 'racism sexism classism elitism'

Coop

Featured Posts

Caesium

Racism yet 3/5 of the VOTY nominees are black

Sexism yet 2/5 of the VOTY nominees are women

At the end of the day the VMAs are a popularity contest. She hasn't been relevant since Bad Girls (which scored a tonne of VMA nominations). Sucks for her, but don't blame it on institutionalised discrimination :smh:

Put your white tennis shoes on and follow me

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AddMeOnMYSPACE

ugh i hate these indie artist who act like they're the second coming of music. Its the VMAs, Relax.

I still love M.I.A :queenga:

Thomas P

She can shut up. Beyoncé is the most nominated person, and her most nominated video is one that's deals with racial issues. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Fusel

you can think of this specific case what you want but at least M.I.A. is one of the only artists who dared to speak out on a humanitarian yet unpopular issue and openly mention the hypocrisy of our civilization. she delivered one of the best tracks and videos in popular culture this year. 

51 minutes ago, myCD said:

M.I.A. is boring me the f* out with all these politics stuff of hers...

She's literally always been involved in bridging art and politics together, even pre-Arular. Pull Up the People? Paper Planes? Born Free? Borders?

5 minutes ago, Thomas P said:

She can shut up. Beyoncé is the most nominated person, and her most nominated video is one that's deals with racial issues. 

Are we only allowed to showcase one social/political video per year?

Thomas P
2 minutes ago, Lum said:

Are we only allowed to showcase one social/political video per year?

But she said the show was racist and sexist. It's neither of those things considering a lot of its nominees.

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

NewYorkCity

lmao I can't when they do this ****. Stop.

Racism? When most of the nominations are for black people? Drake, rihanna, beyonce (the most nominated of the night and lmao that video is literally about racism and defending black people :toofunny:). Sexism when they are mostly women? wtf

Higher

Wasn't Rihanna's American Oxygen nominatied in 2015 which was political and racial? And isn't Beyoncé's Lemonade nominated as well? I don't see the big deal is. It's just the VMAs 

large.gif

Finally feeling free for the night, I got no worries. Finally got a claim on my life, baby, c'est la vie. ☄️

StrawberryBlond

Her outrage is so predictable, it almost looks like a parody, like she had a bet to see how many "ism's" she could accuse them of. Her song is nothing special, just repetitive and mostly lyrics that don't consist of much thought (saying a list of cultural phrases of the moment followed by "what's up with that?" can be done by anyone). The video is controversial but not amazing. Even in a more alternative awards show, I don't think it should expect nominations. She's lucky she got noms for Bad Girls but the attention clearly went to her head and she expects something every time now. Most of the nominees are black, so there's no racism. Most of the nominees are women, so there's no sexism. Is it classist and elite? Well, it does tend to support very privileged artists and the biggest names, so maybe, but then, MTV's been about that for years. Someone gets pissed every year about the lack of diversity but nothing changes.

People need to stop thinking failing to get a nomination automatically equals a personal knockback to them, a purposely mean snub and even based in prejudice. The panel involved just didn't like your work. Stop thinking your s**t don't stink and just focus on making good music. If you truly are all about the music and getting people to listen to your political messages, commercial success and awards shouldn't concern you. I'm always suspicious when lesser successful (especially ones who make political music) speak out like this. It screams "I'm desperate for attention" and just makes their reasons for making music with a message not as genuine as they claim.

Swan Heart

Well, they did snub her. :shrug: I don't think it was because of racism though.

But it's the VMA's after all. They are a joke. No one should take them seriously.

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

VMAs are a popularity contest, nothing more. Its not based on quality.

She should be proud to not be nominated and not being apart of this crowd who are only in it for fame & money.

MonsterOfSpain

She's right but at the same time she's sounding very pretentious and selfish, I wasn't expecting this kind of comments from her tbh :shrug:

Archived