celeb

M.I.A. slams MTV VMAs for 'racism sexism classism elitism'

Coop

Featured Posts

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kermit

Getting tired of every artist who screams victimization, when their art class paintings aren't put in the school's hallway. :awkney:

Also, if you made a song that was intended for political issues, you shouldn't be expecting awards or anything of materialistic value, in return. It makes you look like an egotistical money grabber.

“For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” ― Jean Dubuffet

Brooke Candy

She BETTER preach!

:applause:

buy 'Paper or Plastic' by Brooke candy on iTunes NOW!!

The Surrealist

I like her and she is right, but only speaking up when your OWN work is not appreciated is kind of pretentious.

Ferrer Zorola

I hate it when people complain about not getting nominated. Instead of whining, do better next time.

LIFE IS GOOD

Battle 4 Ur Life

M.I.A. is boring me the f* out with all these politics stuff of hers...

Borders is also one of her worst songs imo...it's pretty boring and depressing

Only in the last month we've had more terrorist attacks than I can count...does she still expect a song that promotes opening up your contry to unknown people to be in the U.S main music video award show?

DE. LU. SIO. NAL.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

DiscoHeaven23

I get where she's coming from, but VMA nominated videos have always been videos that are popular. This isn't new. Its what gets the show its viewers and pays the bills. Viewers tune in for their favs, not betty jo sue down the street. 

The VMAs are commercial based awards, maybe there should be another award show based on critical acclaim then. 

Harry

Love MIA and the point she is making in general but who can expect it from VMAs? I don't think any of these things are the reason she wasn't nominated.

The VMAs aren't really about quality let alone politics, the priority is entertainment value for a mainstream audience. Anyone who really thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. They need ratings. And to get them, they need to nominate and award the biggest artists. It's an anomaly in itself that Bad Girls was nominated a few years ago, but that got a lot of press for the right reasons so it felt like a token "cool" inclusion for the sake of appearing credible. If they were really awarding quality, creativity and innovation then I'd imagine very few of the stars nominated this year would even get an invitation.

kabirartfling
12 minutes ago, DominicB said:

Getting tired of every artist who screams victimization, when their art class paintings aren't put in the school's hallway. :awkney:

Also, if you made a song that was intended for political issues, you shouldn't be expecting awards or anything of materialistic value, in return. It makes you look like an egotistical money grabber.

This comment is GOLD :worship2:

Give your love to me

LanasNerfGun

Okay but I haven't heard about the song or video until now.  That in itself explains the lack of a nomination.

weed

"#****thevmas we don't need their recognition" but you're crying about not being recognized/nominated 

and i I agree there are issues, but girl u should speak out when people other than you are affected 

Archived