Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Reconstructing Gaga's Career?

Didymus

Featured Posts

Didymus

So..

EcgXN46.gif

Ever since C2C started I always felt like she was almost "starting her career over again". She alluded to this herself by literally comparing the C2C release period to her pre-fame era where she was just working on music she loved (auch) without added pressure from managers, labels,...

In 2015 she then made that even more urgent by stating that the writing period for LG5 was equivalent to how she wrote TF and TFM: (paraphr.) "I'll call you when it's done!". While she undoubtedly loves BTW and ARTPOP as finished products, it's clear by now (though some of the more persistently deluded fans will try to say otherwise, just wait) that she considers those albums the outcome of a mental state in which she shouldn't even have been making music. This came to a peak during the ARTPOP sessions where she literally thought she was way too talented to be doing what she was doing, and she was really just trying to please everyone around her (incl. the fans) instead of herself.

tumblr_mnhrveYtMC1qh3qkfo1_500.gif

Then there is the unsettling TIHTY era in which she seemed to imply that she only adopted her pop persona because she needed an outlet for all the trauma she had buried because of her sexually abusive encounter.. She went as far to equate her dramatic fashion to mental instability and her newfound casual attire to a state of mind of balance, and happiness. For LG5 she seems to return to some of her Stefani roots: Stefani Germanotta wanted to be a pop rock artist, but was co-convinced by who many fans suspect is her veritable abuser, to try to become a pop singer instead.

large.gif

So my question is: how do you feel about the timeline of her career now?

Would you scrap a certain era if you could? Do you think Gaga wishes she could?

Does she think of the upcoming LG5 era as a remedy for everything that went wrong?

Should LG5 be considered to be her third true solo album?

If Gaga is consciously retracing her steps, does that have consequences for the rest of her career? Should we take her "I always wanted to be an actress, but music worked out first" comment more seriously?

:unicorn:

kabirartfling

To all the people who will come here to say ' i would scrap ARTPOP' are delusional, because without ARTPOP she would not have c2c, or the massive acclaim that she got in 2k14-16 , she would have not gotten to see the world from a different prospective. So i would personally not change anything from her career because failure is the first step towards the key of success :sleep:

Give your love to me

Didymus
Just now, kabirartfling said:

To all the people who will come here to say ' i would scrap ARTPOP' are delusional, because without ARTPOP she would not have c2c, or the massive acclaim that she got in 2k14-16 , she would have not gotten to see the world from a different prospective. So i would personally not change anything from her career because failure is the first step towards the key of success :sleep:

Well, tbh, C2C was planned apart from ARTPOP well before that era started, so that's not really a good argument imo. Personally, I think it could've been fantastic if after TF or TFM she went on the jazz route too :shrug: What would've stopped her from getting mass acclaim then?

I agree about the personal evolution etc., though I dunno.. I don't really wanna say that almost. She went through hell in 2013, nearly quit music entirely, and some statements seem to imply she even thought of committing suicide, or at least was aware of the risk of a complete nervous breakdown. So I still wish none of that happened, you know, and that she could have grown differently. For her own well-being.

Sometimes I think the fans contributed partly to the suffocating atmosphere she faced as well.. I'll never forget that moment she said she was going to make the music we wanted for ARTPOP. Connected to her recent statements, that was not a gift for us, that was a sign of her slowly losing not just her individuality but also her sanity. Quite sad.

The Surrealist

"I always wanted to be an actress, but music worked out first"

At first I thought this was just an ill-chosen expression. But remember how she said in the Variety interview "I've never got a job as an actress in New York, so I moved on to music" with an awkward pause and Jamie Lee Curtis reassuring her she got a job in music that she loves. I think she wants to focus on acting, but knows that her fans like her music more.

As for her music career, I think the choices she made since C2C are more likely her father's choices. I thought about this a while ago. She always has some italian legends or influences around her. This post kind of verified it:

However, 2016 feels like a rehashed 2015 if you think about it. 

Amazing Grammy and Oscar performances. Then a lot of Jazz. Vacation in June/July. And now AHS again. 

Personally, I like that she is moving away from pop. But she shouldn't stick to Jazz too much. She needs to go more Rock, Punk and Soul.

Phoenix

I would scrap ARTPOP for sure. It was a mess in every possible way. Just thinking of it makes me feel depressed lmao. Now when I look at it, that album is so bad compared to her other albums.

💎

Didymus
4 minutes ago, Sycamore said:

I think she wants to focus on acting, but knows that her fans like her music more.

Now that's an interesting thought!

4 minutes ago, Sycamore said:

Personally, I like that she is moving away from pop. But she shouldn't stick to Jazz too much. She needs to go more Rock, Punk and Soul.

I'm thinking it too. She seemed very conflicted about it in 2014 but that already shows she was evolving away from her earlier statements ("pop will never be low brow" etc.). I remember clearly she said during the Austin interview that "I feel like I came in through pop music, but I never really belonged there". On the other hand, that same year she also tweeted she would always be a pop star. So.. hmm. Interesting, definitely.

Didymus

How can this flop omg.

Are y'all that uninterested in your fav :rip:

original.gif

HOTNebraskaGuy

This thread makes me uncomfortable. :duck:

One, five, ten lay a million on me

Didymus
Just now, HOTNGaga said:

This thread makes me uncomfortable. :duck:

Why is that? :emma:

Maybe that can help me understand why no one's replying here :unicorn:

KURUSHITOVSKA

"Gaga feels like focusing more on acting than music", "it's good that she's moving away from pop"

Then who was I staning for? Being here from Just Dance to learn that she hates pop music and that she prefers to act and sing music completely different from what she's been doing for 7 years? I would feel completely betrayed and "I will make pop music so I can get fans and relevancy and then I'll just do what I want". 

Gaga's not like this. She loved The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way etc. She loved CTC too, so HOPEFULLY I won't have to read "I don't want to make pop music again", because that would literally kill me. She's learnt from the best, and Madonna had many albums with different styles, from pop to rock to experimental to house. She acted in many movies too and that didn't stop her from making music. We have to take anything Gaga says like a grain of salt, because we allz know how fast she changes her mind that even sometimes makes her look so hypocrite. It's obvious that when you make a Jazz record and want to promote it, you need to look like you are really really interested in that jazz album because otherwise they will thinl that it's just a marketing move. And pop music changes every year, it's not that LG5 will be a pop album because it will sound like The Fame. It will be a pop album because it has the style that has been POPular lately.

She is a fan of Bowie, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Britney, Springsteen, Queen... It's obvious that she loves to make that kind of music too. I want to be an artist and I'd make the kind of music that I would buy.

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

HOTNebraskaGuy
2 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Why is that? :emma:

Maybe that can help me understand why no one's replying here :unicorn:

V

1 minute ago, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

"Gaga feels like focusing more on acting than music", "it's good that she's moving away from pop"

Then who was I staning for? Being here from Just Dance to learn that she hates pop music and that she prefers to act and sing music completely different from what she's been doing for 7 years? I would feel completely betrayed and "I will make pop music so I can get fans and relevancy and then I'll just do what I want". 

Gaga's not like this. She loved The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way etc. She loved CTC too, so HOPEFULLY I won't have to read "I don't want to make pop music again", because that would literally kill me. She's learnt from the best, and Madonna had many albums with different styles, from pop to rock to experimental to house. She acted in many movies too and that didn't stop her from making music. We have to take anything Gaga says like a grain of salt, because we allz know how fast she changes her mind that even sometimes makes her look so hypocrite. It's obvious that when you make a Jazz record and want to promote it, you need to look like you are really really interested in that jazz album because otherwise they will thinl that it's just a marketing move. And pop music changes every year, it's not that LG5 will be a pop album because it will sound like The Fame. It will be a pop album because it has the style that has been POPular lately.

One, five, ten lay a million on me

Didymus

Then who was I staning for?

A mentally troubled, traumatized girl who tried to compensate her pain with a career that allowed her to play every character besides herself, until now :derpga:

She's learnt from the best, and Madonna had many albums with different styles, from pop to rock to experimental to house. She acted in many movies too and that didn't stop her from making music. We have to take anything Gaga says like a grain of salt, because we allz know how fast she changes her mind that even sometimes makes her look so hypocrite. It's obvious that when you make a Jazz record and want to promote it, you need to look like you are really really interested in that jazz album because otherwise they will thinl that it's just a marketing move.

Agreed with all of this.

Though I don't think some of the statements I mentioned are so easily explained away. There's no opportunistic profit in saying her avant-garde costumes aren't expressions of her real self (unless she's just too lazy now to spend much time on crafting new looks, which is possible, I guess), or in saying that she wanted to act first and foremost :huh: I mean, you can explain those statements the same way, but then you'd basically have to conclude that Gaga will lie about everything just for success, and that's not something I wanna do :emma:

I guess the whole "going back to my roots" thing could be a way to market her way up from the disaster that was ARTPOP, to sort of wash away the stains on her public image that way, which I would think is logical and even smart, but that still begs the question of how we should regard her previous era's compared to the situation now. I remember thinking in 2009 that she would just settle for being a pop star for a while so she could just make her own music (à la Stefani) but now with a huge platform. I mean, Rob's argument against her pop rock work was that it wasn't marketable anymore because everyone was doing it. Now that's not the case. Who knows.

Archived