💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga should be less broad with concepts

FATCAT

Featured Posts

FATCAT

From The Fame to Born This Way, Gaga has had album concepts that were direct and to the point. Like a good research topic, you should always whind down your topic if it's too broad. A major key in this is that you want to get a point across, with a direct approach. Writing a paper on the effect of religion in ancient times is massive, considering the long history of different religions and different empires. So, you wind down your topic to cover mythology in Rome. This same approach would greatly benefit Gaga.

With Fame, she discussed Fame's good sides, its bad sides, it was pretty much on point. The topic is broad, but not too broad.

With TFM she discussed fears, either related to fame or sex. The EP was pretty short, yet conveyed the concept very well.

With BTW she discussed a plethora of self identification. She was born this way, she accepted herself and married the night, she's as free as her hair, and she'll fly across the sky. It seems like a  broad topic, but she handled it very well.

With ARTPOP, she had a very large topic: Art in Pop, and Pop in Art. On the surface, the topic is a great one! In fact, I'm not bashing the topic. But it's wide range allows expectations and reality to be far from eachother. Some said ARTPOP wasn't artsy enough, some even say it wasn't popsy enough. The topic leads to a disconnect between audience and ideas. It's not that her topic was flawed, or that she implemented it in an odd or wrong way, it's that the topic was too easy to fall into. Guy is about being a bottom, applause is about clapping?, Swine is about sexual assault, the list goes on and on, farther away from the title and title song. 

I'm not telling her how to do her art, just a loose collection of my thoughts. Please don't murder me, just a flimsy opinion.

Purr more, hiss less.

RBNLM

TFM was much more complex than this she talked about her relationship with the music industry

and GUY is not abou being a bottom wtf are you saying omg.

before talking about concepts you must be sure to know how to understand the topic.

Didymus

Hmm.

Personally I think that those album summaries are more pragmatic than anything else. In truth, TF was more complex than that, so was TFM and BTW.

I agree though, it's easier to get an album embedded in public awareness in a lasting way if they can link the album to very easy, concentrated ideas. But I'm always a bit annoyed when Gaga's own fans mistake that kind of pragmatism for the actual content :rip:

(Btw, I don't agree with the idea that ARTPOP as an album was about what you're saying it's about. I won't deny that that's how it may have come across to the public tho.)

FATCAT
7 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Hmm.

Personally I think that those album summaries are more pragmatic than anything else. In truth, TF was more complex than that, so was TFM and BTW.

I agree though, it's easier to get an album embedded in public awareness in a lasting way if they can link the album to very easy, concentrated ideas. But I'm always a bit annoyed when Gaga's own fans mistake that kind of pragmatism for the actual content :rip:

(Btw, I don't agree with the idea that ARTPOP as an album was about what you're saying it's about. I won't deny that that's how it may have come across to the public tho.)

10 minutes ago, RBNLM said:

TFM was much more complex than this she talked about her relationship with the music industry

and GUY is not abou being a bottom wtf are you saying omg.

before talking about concepts you must be sure to know how to understand the topic.

I tried my best not to go into long detail, since the GP doesn't really see these topics in the the same light as we do. Don't mistake it for ignorance..

Purr more, hiss less.

GagaMyBlood95

ARTPOP was the expression of her pain, of her finding a way to cope with different problems that she had after BTW, how her fans helped her heal and how she looks beyond the pop music and see the art (at least that's how I figured it out from the interviews)

But I would agree with you that, for the GP and those who don't follow her every day, ARTPOP as a concept was really hard to understand, and that's why it didn't have as much success as her previous releases!

Didymus
Just now, FATCAT said:

I tried my best not to go into long detail, since the GP doesn't really see these topics in the the same light as we do. Don't mistake it for ignorance..

Well in that case I agree completely. Though I personally couldn't care less about the GP's opinions of her music, so I'd actually prefer Gaga to go broader :chica: In the lyrics anyway. I agree that the way she presented ARTPOP was a huge problem.

FATCAT
Just now, GagaMyBlood95 said:

ARTPOP was the expression of her pain, of her finding a way to cope with different problems that she had after BTW, how her fans helped her heal and how she looks beyond the pop music and see the art (at least that's how I figured it out from the interviews)

But I would agree with you that, for the GP and those who don't follow her every day, ARTPOP as a concept was really hard to understand, and that's why it didn't have as much success as her previous releases!

Yes. This. And I don't think Gaga should compromise her artistic strengths for sales, but there's a balance between accessibility and creativity.

Purr more, hiss less.

Bambino

I think ARTPOP is about celebrating her art from her own perspective as a pop singer, which could lead to a messy concept since it had different topics that had nothing to do with each other and that made it hard for the GP and even fans to understand what ARTPOP means. If the concept of the album was to make some sort of an artistic mess as a celebration, then she represented it very well because the era was a ****king mess as well :toofunny:

kabirartfling

Whoever said ARTPOP is not popsy enought should shove a dildo up their ears :grr:

Give your love to me

Chromatislaps

C2C is her most difficult album theme, anything goes :derpga: 

FATCAT
1 minute ago, kabirartfling said:

Whoever said ARTPOP is not popsy enought should shove a dildo up their ears :grr:

I'm guessing they mean popsy with sales, but maybe MANiCURE isn't there cup of tea :unicorn:

Purr more, hiss less.

AyaKara

I agree. I loved the concept of ARTPOP -- I was in tears at the description when she released that first image with the white mask -- and the concept was holding strongly until the DWUW switch. The whole era completely changed. She went from doing performance art in every breathing moment (Venus) to dressing more glamorously and sexually, and then suddenly she disappeared until the ARTPOP film came out.

I do think the ARTPOP concept would have flourished beautifully if the era went how Gaga wanted it to go. When Gaga has concepts for her albums, she lives it out in real life -- she dresses the part, speaks the part, everything. We saw it with TF, we saw it with TFM, we saw it with BTW. ARTPOP was a time filled with turmoil for her. I hope she does it her way for the rest of her career.

Haroon
1 hour ago, kabirartfling said:

haters kiss me if offenced, or wear ear condom next time :derpga: 

ReidOne
1 hour ago, FATCAT said:

applause is about clapping?

Applause is about spreading joy. :hug:  :wub:  :woohoo:

Miel

I found a lot of joy (and annoyance) with how vague ARTPOP initially was. It was like all the skills I honed while analyzing her previous works finally culminated in my attempt to understand that album and its respective phase. In the end, I realized it was a lot more intimate and personal to her life than I thought.

2 hours ago, AyaKara said:

I agree. I loved the concept of ARTPOP -- I was in tears at the description when she released that first image with the white mask -- and the concept was holding strongly until the DWUW switch. The whole era completely changed. She went from doing performance art in every breathing moment (Venus) to dressing more glamorously and sexually, and then suddenly she disappeared until the ARTPOP film came out.

I do think the ARTPOP concept would have flourished beautifully if the era went how Gaga wanted it to go. When Gaga has concepts for her albums, she lives it out in real life -- she dresses the part, speaks the part, everything. We saw it with TF, we saw it with TFM, we saw it with BTW. ARTPOP was a time filled with turmoil for her. I hope she does it her way for the rest of her career.

I agree, very much. It seemed as though she finally found that after, though, when she was doing both artRave and Cheek to Cheek.

3 points in and ready for more

Archived