Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Idolator: Born This Way Ahead Of Its Time

Quark

Featured Posts

Quark

o<(0_0)>o

lady-gaga-born-this-way-album-cover-delu

The website Idolator just basically said that Born This Way was ahead of its time. Here is the article:

Lady Gaga’s second full-length came out five years ago today (May 23), and while Born This Way may have seemed overwrought and overstuffed back in 2011, it was the moment Gaga achieved a balance of sound and image. The album turned out to be forward-thinking for its adventurous, ominous production, helping to jump-start pop’s ensuing embrace of the sinister for the next half-decade. It was exactly the left-field jolt the Gaga narrative, and pop music, demanded at the time.

As the album’s lead single and title track dropped, the knock on Lady Gaga was that her music didn’t match the subversiveness of her presentation. If we’re shedding our poker faces, the production on The Fame was dinky. The Fame Monster muscled up the arrangements — “Bad Romance” sounds colossal enough to hold up that life-giving chorus, and “Telephone” doesn’t buckle under the weight of its two megastars — but simple synth-pop club tracks just weren’t going to cut it anymore once Gaga wasshowing up to the Grammys in an alien egg or wearing a meat dress. So on Born This Way, the production had to be as outlandish as Lady Gaga herself.

The grimy churn of “Government Hooker” and the warped digital burps and goth chants of “Bloody Mary” could very easily have set the template for Kanye West two years later to do a song like “Black Skinhead” and dabble in witch house onYeezus. “Bad Kids” works gnarly processed guitars into a dance anthem, similar to the textures Grimes would work with on Art Angels tracks like “Kill V. Maim.” The harried gabber-lite stomp of “Judas” laid the groundwork for Demi Lovato to borrow from Sleigh Bells and Justice. You can find that same BTW DNA in all kinds of places, whether its Allie X, those oppressive blasts that open “The Hills” or theNIN vibes of FKA twigs’ M3LL155X.

By disguising aggro goth-pop as radio fare, Gaga provided an alternative to the super-sugary molly-pop sound of the time, ditching the rave tent in favor of the void. Of course acts like The Knife had already toyed with this idea, but when someone of Gaga’s stature decided to cling to her inner demon, it made the pop world safe for stars at the top of their game looking to go on some truly abnormal, unexpected (and un-focus grouped) musical excursions. The album’s lyrics, length and lasting effect on Gaga’s career trajectory (alien egg -> Jo Calderone -> whatever this is -> vomit art) are certainly questionable, but nobody else could’ve made such an absurd, abrasive blockbuster seem so prophetic.

http://www.idolator.com/7633796/lady-gaga-born-this-way-review-essay-anniversary

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manul

The Queen paving the way for experimental releases, even back then. And AP finished what BTW started. Slay. :firega:

it wasn't laaaahv

GagaXCupcakke

How is it ahead of its time if the GP liked it when it was released? :saladga:

If anything ARTPOP was ahead of its time. 

TropicOfCANCER
2 minutes ago, Dora said:

Ahead of its time doesn't mean it wasn't liked upon release. It means, sonically, there weren't many other songs/albums that sounded like that and it played a part in informing the type of music other people make now.

Do I 100% agree with this sentiment? No, but it's still a great album. 

Quark
1 minute ago, Dora said:

Because it was the only album of its time that sounded like it did. Non until now or a few years after, are we starting to see its effects or at least similar sounding music in the mainstream.

ViviLittleM

britney-spears-shielded-from-bad-album-r

ARTPOP was released too late

EDM was so 2012

Angel Down

Conceptually maybe, but musically no. ARTPOP's edm was already broadly used. Nothing new concerning the sound

yASSsss

Yeah,it was out of this world,galaxy,space and time :diane:

Our generation's bible:diane:

Spoiler

I'm not christian but you get my point :diane: 

Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine

crisTEAne

avantgarde rock opera :giveup:

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

DrewStevens

YAAAAAAAAAS 

Even though I think The Fame Monster is her best album I always thought BTW was ahead of it's time. 

Archived