Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Ariana talks feminism & facing misogyny

Serendipity

Featured Posts

Serendipity

One of our favourite ever Ariana Grande moments was that mini-essay she wrote on sexism and double standards in the media. It said everything that every female celeb has been thinking for ages, and instantly made Ari one of the most kickass famous feminists in the business.

She's been speaking some wise words on the subject again this week in her most recent interview with Grazia, opening up about the frustrating misogyny that she's faces every day both as a popstar and just as a general female human being, too.

Speaking frankly about why she's so passionate about promoting gender equality, Ariana said: "I'm a woman so I face my fair share of double standards and misogyny and ignorance on a daily basis."

Ariana's proud to say that she's a feminist (as anyone should be), and wants to make sure that we work on eliminating the ridiculous stigma that seems to have attached itself to the term.

"A lot of women think of the stereotype that comes with the word "feminist". But there's not just one type of feminist," Ari said. You can be a feminist who gets their hair and make-up done, you can be a feminist who cuts their hair off and doesn't wear any make-up. Who has lots of sex or who doesn't. There's no limit." WORD.

If you want an example of just why we need celebs like Ariana addressing the topic of feminism, she's more than happy to serve up a plate of reality when it comes to the double standards that women face, famous or not.

"When a young male artist posts a shirtless picture on Instagram the comments will be like "Oh my God, heart eyes, so hot, babe alert!",' she spilled. "Like, whatever. If a woman posts a suggestive photo or anything that expresses her own sexuality or confidence within her body, it's a very different response."

http://www.sugarscape.com/celebs/news/a1089089/ariana-grande-double-standards-feminism/

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

Dangerous Man

Not a bit single of lie spotted. Real gender equality queen. :applause: 

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

Music

"A lot of women think of the stereotype that comes with the word "feminist". But there's not just one type of feminist," Ari said. You can be a feminist who gets their hair and make-up done, you can be a feminist who cuts their hair off and doesn't wear any make-up."

i don't know why but i imagined a 6th grader giving a speech about feminism to their class when i read this.
and i cringed.

sorry :green:

RadioIsOurs
10 minutes ago, Baby Blue said:

"When a young male artist posts a shirtless picture on Instagram the comments will be like "Oh my God, heart eyes, so hot, babe alert!",' she spilled. "Like, whatever. If a woman posts a suggestive photo or anything that expresses her own sexuality or confidence within her body, it's a very different response."

Not this again... :wtf:

I mean it really depends on the context of the photo. Many women like to pose in sexually submissive manners, which can lead many to get the wrong message. And nowadays when a female celeb posts sexy pics fans would just be like OMG SLAY.

Ironically, it's the feminists Ariana's talking about that are the ones who judge them and call them out... And when someone does comment on the photo that 'she's so hot' and 'she has a nice bod', they would be called pervs, sexists and objectifying women. So fight the real enemy...

Didymus

Simplifying things. But what can you expect from a pop star.

Reminds me of Selena tweeting about Palestine. We care too much about what these people think. They're not qualified to do anything other than entertain us.

Ronlop
4 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Reminds me of Selena tweeting about Palestine. We care too much about what these people think. They're not qualified to do anything other than entertain us.

The "Pray for Gaza" tweet was embarrassing. 

Glad she received backlash.

OBEY
7 minutes ago, Didymus said:

When it comes to Feminism, isn't it the way to go (unfortunately)?
I mean, shouldn't we simplify things since 80% of people don't even seem to know the correct definition of the word even after years? :poot: 

I more believe its the general population that is dumb over this subject, not necessarily pop stars! 

Didymus
1 hour ago, OBEY said:

When it comes to Feminism, isn't it the way to go (unfortunately)?
I mean, shouldn't we simplify things since 80% of people don't even seem to know the correct definition of the word even after years? :poot: 

I more believe its the general population that is dumb over this subject, not necessarily pop stars! 

Well, true. I simplified the opinions of pop stars there :chica:

So yeah, I actually agree with that as well. Pop stars do have the power to educate a hell of a lot of people due to their platform. I like, indeed, that Beyoncé put the accurate understanding of feminism on a screen on her tour (and on her album).

But on the other hand, there's also a danger of the notion of feminism losing its activist edge because someone like Ariana (who, let's face it, is not a socially challenging presence in any shape or form) talks about it. So I hope this is a one time thing, I'd rather have someone else do it tbh :rip:

lego
1 hour ago, Ronlop said:

The "Pray for Gaza" tweet was embarrassing. 

Glad she received backlash.

Disgusting. 

FreePalestine

Ronlop
1 hour ago, YourSweet666 said:

Disgusting. 

Why is it disgusting? :rip: 

I think entertainers should stay entertainers unelss they really researched about the topic- that's all. Doesn't matter if you support the "Pray for Gaza" tweet or not. 

lego
56 minutes ago, Ronlop said:

Why is it disgusting? :rip: 

I think entertainers should stay entertainers unelss they really researched about the topic- that's all. Doesn't matter if you support the "Pray for Gaza" tweet or not. 

I find it strange to be happy about the backlash or to wish for a backlash after someone shows the support for innocent people of Gaza under the bombs, in a simple tweet. They get very little recognition and sympathy in Western media and among celebs. Some Hollywood actors were collecting money for IOF. I bet you'd sing a different tune, if she would tweet #LoveIDF #IStandWithIsrael or something similar during that war. 

She was supporting the people, not armies or governments. 

You can't educate people over twitter anyway, she didn't try to keep lecture on the topic of conflict. 

Anyway this is all off topic. I just didn't like your comment, but whatever.

FreePalestine

StrawberryBlond

It's good that she's bringing light to such a topic but she likely still has a lot to learn. It irks me that a lot of these young, modern feminists just seem to want to talk about sexual double standards and their right to be provocative. That's all well and good, but there's so much more to feminism than that, far more important things. We can talk about that stuff but there's so much more. Let's talk about sexual harassment, domestic violence, pregnancy discrimination, FGM, rape...the stuff that majorly affects women negatively. I'm all for bringing up the smaller issues, as they mount up, but it sometimes seems like sex is the only subject feminists want to talk about. As if women in the western world are discouraged from being sexual or something! it's the exact opposite if anything! We're sent mixed messages, sure, but some of these white, western feminists act like we're all womankind is living in the middle east. Are we occupying the same space here? Ariana of all people saying this - it's clear her label certainly encouraged her to exploit her looks and sex appeal to get sales! That's proof right there that being provocative is not something that women are denied!

Women get a different response to these photos because of the way society is structured to see men's chests as not that sexual but women's chests as very sexual. And how society thinks that a woman has to be attractive or she's not worth anything. Men and women's sexuality are very different things so they will gain different responses. Men and women also have different reasons for acting provocative.

6 hours ago, RainbowBlonde said:

And when someone does comment on the photo that 'she's so hot' and 'she has a nice bod', they would be called pervs, sexists and objectifying women. So fight the real enemy...

That was certainly a very good point. A lot of feminists can't make up their mind what they want on this front. One minute, they're fighting for their right to be sexual, but when that sexuality is commented on crudely, they take offence. If you seek sexual approval, don't act shocked when you get it and when the person giving you the comment isn't exactly gentleman of the year. Of course, no one has a right to touch you whatever you're wearing, but this is just comments we're talking about. If you're not trying to be sexual and some a-hole shouts something disgusting at you, be offended. But if you wore an outfit specifically designed to appeal to men and then some guy gives you an apt response to that, why act offended? Every time I've worn anything low cut or short and men have looked at me (never shouted anything, though), I lap that attention right up and am flattered. If I didn't want that attention, I wouldn't have worn what I did in the first place. This is what gets my goat about modern feminism. So many of them don't know what they want out of it and it leads everyone else to be confused too.

Katharine Hepburn
6 hours ago, Didymus said:

This ^^^ we shouldn't look to people are as educated as you or I for insight into social issues just because they're famous or pretty.

xoxo Joanne

Hexxx

Ariana, as long as you advertise your body for sex and promo, you will always receive the wrong impression. There is nothing wrong with a guy posing shirtless...neither women, But it's how it's done. As long as you take nudes and pictures of yourself lifting your ass, then you can't expect someone to go "Omg Ariana posts topless on IG, she's so empowering." You need self respect first. Ariana on the other hand needs a lot of growing up to do.

These are just my opinions

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Archived