Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
game

Video games & homophobia

Manul

Featured Posts

uo111
4 hours ago, Stitches said:

Wat.

This is not what I said at all. Go re-read what I wrote, you and those that agree with your post.

The characters cant be accepting and open minded if homosexual characters don't exist in the game in the first place. That's the point. Whether the characters are accepting or not that is entirely a matter of world building and not the concern of this thread.

But that's exactly what happens in the Witcher 3. They don't accept homosexuality.

It's not like the game tells you everyone's sexuality. You can't say that it's fine to build an intolerant society, but you must have proud gay characters. The fact that they depict the struggles of homosexuality in an unaccepting society in a video game for "teh straights" is actually a pretty good step in the right direction.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Redstreak
6 hours ago, Dante said:

I've played this game for almost 80 hours and at no point did I think it was homophobic or whatever you're trying to prove. 

Stop being so overly sensitive 

"I didn't think X about Y so you must just be over sensitive!"

Ew.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

Emigrante
On 4.04.2016 at 11:17 AM, Iismetti said:

Mortal Kombat X has a playable gay man and Street Fighter has a transgender woman, and they cause arguments constantly.

I hoped for Poison from SF to be really transgender, but it's completely unknown case and most of fans argue with thing that she was considered transgender only because there was some law prohibiting beating women. 

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

Seeka
On 4/4/2016 at 5:47 AM, Klou said:

I'm playing The Witcher 3 now as well and it does come across as being developed by a bunch of straight men. I honestly don't know many gay men that are hardcore gamers like me, though, so I get it.

I am playing Blazblue now and I witness a part where a guy was coming onto his own brother hardcore :saladga:

Oh my god it's so funny. I love Blazblue.

Though I think blazblue and Witcher would be a little different because I think maybe Witcher was made in America or by European gaming companies. Blazblue comes from Homoerotica World Capital Japan.

But Tsubaki in that game (or Makoto, I forgot which) was originally supposed to be a lesbian.

Jin is just the usual very creepy person.

LebaneseDude

BioWare Master Race.

All their games are glorious despite the rampant bitching :flutter: 

Edited just now by LebaneseDude.

Just shut up and go play BioWare games! Because BioWare is the best ;) They get too much **** thrown their way when in my opinion no other studio comes close to mastering such an engaging experience. Can't wait for Mass Effect: Andromeda and the next Dragon Age :excited2: 

• 2 weeks later...
LebaneseDude
On 4/18/2016 at 9:26 AM, Biotic said:

Just shut up and go play BioWare games! Because BioWare is the best ;) They get too much **** thrown their way when in my opinion no other studio comes close to mastering such an engaging experience. Can't wait for Mass Effect: Andromeda and the next Dragon Age :excited2: 

Amen :flutter: 

Bye
3 hours ago, LebaneseDude said:

Amen :flutter: 

Have you played Trespasser? The implications are astounding :giveup:

LebaneseDude
4 hours ago, Biotic said:

Have you played Trespasser? The implications are astounding :giveup:

Of course. :grr:

Sizzily

This whole thread is a FeministFrequency tea :smh: 

One Banned Boi

StarstruckIllusion

Well PS4 and XBOX360 are systems for ****boys who like shooting up things and a whole other slew of messy ****, so I'm not that surprised. Nintendo would never. 

StarstruckIllusion
On April 4, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Love Drought said:

I'm playing through The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt at the moment. The Witcher is one of my favorite video game franchises, I've played & re-played all of them. But while playing through 3, I can't help but think of how hardcore homophobic the games are. Slurs like cocksucker plague them, there are (to my knowledge) ONLY 2 gay men, a nuts mage that is into slavery-romance (if that is a thing, and this is in the second game) and a simple hunter in TW3, that calls himself a freak for being gay (and reveals that his boyfriend committed suicide when his parents found out) and imho the worst part, the games are full of lesbians or women willing to participate in lesbian action. and they are portrayed normally (depends on how normal you consider women being used like the ignorant straight gamer's sex eye candy).

The fans of the games (many, at least) are scum. If you bring this up, they either dismiss it, they gently tell you to **** off and play BioWare products, "no agendas here", or they straight up insult you.

When I think about it, moments like these make me appreciate BioWare so much. They've always known and cared enough about how to provide equality and most importantly, CHOICES, to their fanbase. And they get so much hate and accusations of pushing agendas from homophobic scumbags because of that. But they still keep at it, so kudos for that.

Which brings me to this, how many developers have been willing to include any kind of gay romance in their games? I can't think of anything other than the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series at the moment, which both provide extensive gay/lesbian romancing options, while I've read that there is same sex marriage in Skyrim, but I haven't tried that yet, so I can't confirm it.

Why are most gamers so dumb and developers so close minded? Is most of the gamer demographic really made of dude-bros or "manly" basement nerds that dream of "owning" chicks with over-sized breasts, butts, hips and whatnot and are afraid of being r-r-r-r-r-raped in-game by homos?

dNVvntX.gif

Also, the Bitcher 3 is a trash example. Isn't it supposed to be set like a thousand years ago? Being gay and inclusive wasn't historically accurate during the time Madonna was in her Middle Ages.

Manul
11 minutes ago, ROARyals said:

Also, the Bitcher 3 is a trash example. Isn't it supposed to be set like a thousand years ago? Being gay and inclusive wasn't historically accurate during the time Madonna was in her Middle Ages.

The Patcher 3: Wild Bugs is not a historically accurate or historically inspired video game, it is a (high) fantasy RPG. It is the dev's choice to make homophobia and stuff present. Wannabe GoT much.

it wasn't laaaahv

StarstruckIllusion
2 hours ago, Love Drought said:

The Patcher 3: Wild Bugs is not a historically accurate or historically inspired video game, it is a (high) fantasy RPG. It is the dev's choice to make homophobia and stuff present. Wannabe GoT much.

Idk much about money-instead-of-creativity-driven games, but if so… tragic. 

Staryu
On 8/5/2016 at 0:29 AM, Sizzily said:

This whole thread is a FeministFrequency tea :smh: 

I would like to see more and better LGBT+ representation in video games (and entertainment in general), but none of that third-wave feminism BS. :emma: I cannot stand Anita Sarkeesian, Brianna Wu, etc. #MuhMisogyny cry.gif

It's not a selling point (and it shouldn't be) or something that I think about frequently, :laughga: but there's definitely room for improvement. These things take time though.

Archived