💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

What would you think of this concept for LG5?

Bebe

Featured Posts

Bebe

Whenever I see people discuss themes such as Fame for LG5 I tend to dismiss it as boring and regressive. It would feel like she isn't moving forward. With that said, how would you feel about an album theme of her rejecting "Fame" and continuing a message or artistic rebellion? An artist that isn't defined by their success or fame but who creates a legacy through talent?

It could be a concept album following the lows and new found highs of an artist who used to be on top of the charts, falls from grace and finds freedom and redemption through their art.

In many ways it reflects and parallels the space she was in since the release of ARTPOP in 2013. After such a huge and meteoric rise with TF and TFM she reached her lowest point in her career with the commercial and critical reception to ARTPOP. She then spent the next years going back to basics with C2C and great vocal performances .

As many of you would know, I'm a huge Lorde fan and everytime I hear this song I can't help but think about what a great concept this would be for an artist like Gaga.

"This is the start of how it all ends, they used to shout my name now they whisper it. I'm speeding up and this is the red, orange, yellow flicker beat sparking up my heart."

This isn't a call for Gaga to adopt the sound of Lorde, that's not what I want, it's just such an interesting metaphor for a once popular artist who has fallen from the spotlight and then becomes more determined with this 'fire' burning inside them.

I have no idea how everyone else will react to this idea, but I think it's interesting and I think it manages to evolve from concepts of "fame" Gaga has discussed before while still retaining a hint to her past albums. I think it also has a great narrative behind it, it has a classic character arc.

The Change Arc: "This is the most popular and often the most resonant character arc. The protagonist will start out with varying levels of personal unfulfillment and denial. Over the course of the story, he will be forced to challenge his beliefs about himself and the world, until finally he conquers his inner demons and ends his arc having changed in a positive way." (http://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/character-arcs-1/)

In this case when we start the artist is unfulfilled and is a fading star, the obstacle faced is their diminishing fame -----> The artist struggles with this loss of popularity and eventually learns that their fulfillment lies in their work and talent -----> The artist finds new strength and, free from the pressure to re-create or re-hash what they have done/achieved before, creates a bold new masterpiece.

It just feels, to me, like the result would seem like both a personal album and a concept album. A re-imagining of the story the public told in regards to her through a fictional character that also manages to incorporate the feelings, struggles and redemption that she has personally gone through along the way.

What are your thoughts?

Swan Heart

I would love that.

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

ashamednudist

this sounds brilliant 

Spoiler

it feels weird bringing lorde in the discussion after nme thing :green: i love that song and video tho.

Bebe
1 minute ago, ashamednudist said:

this sounds brilliant 

Reveal hidden contents

it feels weird bringing lorde in the discussion after nme thing :green: i love that song and video tho.

Well if you want another example other than Lorde you can also read Flesh without Blood by Grimes in a similar way too :green:

"Remember when we used to say
"I love you" almost every day
I saw the light in you
Going out as I close that window
You never liked me anyway"

"Your voice, it had the perfect glow
It got lost when you gave it up though
Cause you want money
You want fame"

"Hey, hey, hey
I don't see the light I saw in you before
And now I don't, and now I don't
And now I don't care anymore"

tomsches

I don't care so much about a consistent theme for the album. I'm more interested in a consistent, cohesive sound for it.

Helxig

I would love it too. I want her to really get deep and experimental with sound. Making her own sounds and music. Making music from modified vocals. I'd love for her to experiment with all kinds of instruments and use computers to digitally alter them. And I always love her most creative and... alternative? music.

Also Lorde! Representing my country :)  I always feel a tinge of pride that someone from here made it so big.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

OmgSum1Actually

I think she needs a new direction, I don't want the same thing all over again, no matter how much I love TFM I don't want another album that sounds that same, I think Gaga is more of an artist who can and will evolve. I mean Born This Way as an album was something really new and now Rolling Stone said it 11th best album of all time by a female artist.

Basically what I want is something new and fresh and Born This Way was really new and fresh and she delivered it the right way.

I mean, she couldn't be that popular all the time, she was in media eye for too many year, non-stop and as she says everybody wants to see decay of a superstar http://www.mtv.com/news/1657683/lady-gaga-60-minutes/

BTW I can imagine Gaga singing Yellow Flicker Beat with her voice and doing it her way and I would love it! 

Shameless selfpromo

Helxig

Also, we've yet to hear anything really soft and slow from her. I've always looooved this song. I know that it's very different to Gaga, but I'd love to hear something slow and trancy like this from her. But with her very different vocals :P

Edit: I feel for some reason that posting this will be controversial :green: a lot of people hate Amy's voice.  Please don't bite too hard.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Iwontell

I don't think she'd ever re-do TF or TFM...ppl expecting her to do that are in for a big disappointment when LG5 is released, so I don't have any concerns about that, tbqh.

I understand all the things you've proposed, but to me it all would still come off as too concerned with this realm of fame, celebrity, image...even if it's a denial of all that, these themes would still be in the center of her work, making it a sort of "The Fame 2.0"...

I think the smartest thing to do now is to forget about concepts, or anything that might come off as pretentious or "out of touch", and just deliver an album with 12 great songs. One of the songs should definitely talk about this "fall from grace", yes, but the others should cover all the stuff going on in her life: love, regretting some stuff she did, believing in something (she's been reading her bible a lot lately), her family, getting older...I know these seem like mundane themes, but they've lead to great songs over and over and people connect with it, bc not everyone lives for the applause, but everyone experiences infatuation, disappointment, missing someone...

To me that's what she needs right now, a "coming of age" album...something that could humanize her and allow people to see themselves in her and her work.

HOWEVER, I remember some lyrics she posted on IG last year (something about sharks) and I have to say you might be right on the money...

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

Swan Heart
47 minutes ago, helxig said:

Edit: I feel for some reason that posting this will be controversial :green: a lot of people hate Amy's voice.  Please don't bite too hard.

How the hell can someone hate Amy's voice?

tumblr_inline_mm15d3xbjS1qz4rgp.gif

And I agree, I think it could work for Gaga.

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

gagzus

Despite what we think, I'm almost certain because of the happy place she's in again and her WOTY interview plus her working with amazing electronic-pop and disco producers she's simply gonna make a solid pop record again ala The Fame, perhaps not the same themes but she'll definitely include sex as a theme again (she's basically confirmed this like 3 times) and i'm assuming love so I think we'll get more songs that are like I Want Your Love with a dash of the sexuality she's been serving since before and during AHS.

But I could be wrong who knows, she's not as predictable as she was when writing say Born This Way (we legit could tell what the title was and the themes during like mid 2010 tbh). She has the album title already (if history is anything to go by) and she'll have a loose theme for sure. But let's be real do we really NEED a themed album? We've had 4 after all.

ThatAsianGuy

I just want something new to her. I want her to stay away from dance/edm-sque music as much as possible. create an untirely different or atleast fresh music. Just like Justin did. he returned with mature sounds completely different from his old music (bubblegum pop). As a result the gp got interested in his music. 

lucastecala

That sound interesting, but I don't think that's accurate. The fact that she's spent so much time and energy trying (and actually achieving it) to get back to GP's good graces, and that she has worked with Mark Ronson and Nile Rodgers for this album, tells me it's not gonna be very introspective, and will have some pretty retro tracks. Also in recent interviews she has mentioned mainstream artists like Adele and Bruno Mars, as artists whose work she's admired. I think those intricate concepts are in the past, after the reception of ARTPOP. And I love where she's going actually. I think you can make great, consistent, fresh music without being too complex or pretentious about your concepts. 

Archived