💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

NYTimes: Gaga gets dubbed outdated + my perspective

boysboysboys

Featured Posts

boysboysboys

I found this interesting article about the Superbowl, and I wanna quote a piece comparing Bey and Gaga that I agree on:

"Of course, in the event, she [Beyonce] made you understand why she matters so peerlessly as an entertainer. No one has her charisma — although, the high point was seeing Bruno Mars’s showmanship attempt to rival hers (he’s pretty much there). As they made their way toward each other, with the help of smart editing and inspired camerawork, you felt a dialectic crackle. Live television was making cinematic heat. Looking around the room where I watched the show, I wasn’t the only one who’d been made to sweat.

And yet, it was impossible not to notice where other people were in relation to Beyoncé. Janelle Monáe, for instance, appeared in a taped segment for Pepsi that introduced the show. Coldplay had become the ball upon which stood her exclamation point. And Gaga was long gone. Beyoncé was dressed in what’s basically one of Michael Jackson’s old military jackets. She moved like Tina Turner. She was trying to politic like Nina Simone. You’re encouraged to think that her equals aren’t with her in the present. They’re communing with her from the past.

Meanwhile, Lady Gaga seems content to be past.

Her work now is like a long-term art project that’s put 50 years on her persona, and at 29, she’s five years younger than Beyoncé. She’s been cooing with Tony Bennett on their “Cheek to Cheek” tour; she’s wearing stuff that you’d find on Fanny Brice. Her Gucci pantsuit could have been from the Céline Dion collection or from Liza Minelli’s closet. So, too, could the strength of her singing and chest thwaps. She’s given herself a coating of the geriatric, of respectability, of Vegas.

At last year’s Academy Awards, Gaga near-perfectly performed a medley from “The Sound of Music,” and her earnestness was touching even as you had no idea why this was happening — to us, to her. She cleans up awkwardly. If this is “art-pop,” as Gaga’s last album was called — trying out nostalgia for eras in which she never lived, tearfully accepting a Golden Globe for her work on “American Horror Story: Hotel” playing a version of the winking grotesque creature she started as — it seems designed to keep her out of the mainstream fray: away from Adele and Rihanna and her former collaborator Beyoncé. Lady Gaga has aged herself past what’s trending. She’s willfully become the living embodiment of what’s trended."

LINK

Please don't hate on the writer, it's not a hater article like the others. It's just pointing out that Gaga is excluding herself, currently at least. And for me it's not just the style: it's her overall conduct, the failure of that cool and youth-culture side of her to see beyond Instagram posts to what mainstream media sees. This is something she really needs to work on with LG5 (but not too desperately maybe?)

Thoughts?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Diamond Heart

Gaga is trying to rebuild her image. Shes trying to appeal to EVERYONE now, not just young flaming gays. Gaga trying to get support and change the way the 'older' audience perceives her is necessary ' to build a LASTING career. She doesnt need support from the young and 'cool' because they are so fickle and change trends constantly. If she has a catchy hit song, the younger demographics will be back on board again. 

"GGD IS NOT FOR YOU" - Admin

Whispering

Gaga is in between albums, but staying incredibly busy. I have no idea how that can be seen as anything but commendable. 

Son of Venus

they're right. she should've pulled a Miley. Twerking while singing the NA would've been so cool :neyde:

AdAstra

The woman is really damn if she does, and damned if she doesn't with some critics. If she's too provocative and trendy she's labeled "try-hard" and "grotesque", if she tones it down, now she's too "old/dated" and "living in a nostalgic state". I'm really starting to understand why she was on the verge of leaving the music industry now. Don't listen to anyone else but yourself, Gags. You're doing you now and reveling in it. 

boysboysboys
5 minutes ago, Son of Venus said:

they're right. she should've pulled a Miley. Twerking while singing the NA would've been so cool :neyde:

You say that, but did Bey have to? Did Katy have to? There's a definition of "cool" here that you're missing.

boysboysboys
7 minutes ago, ScottishGaga said:

Gaga is trying to rebuild her image. Shes trying to appeal to EVERYONE now, not just young flaming gays. Gaga trying to get support and change the way the 'older' audience perceives her is necessary ' to build a LASTING career. She doesnt need support from the young and 'cool' because they are so fickle and change trends constantly. If she has a catchy hit song, the younger demographics will be back on board again. 

Does she have to appeal to everyone? Did the Fame Monster era appeal to everyone?

I absolutely agree with that article. The moment you enlist Starbucks to sell your album next to confections and gift cards you are no longer a transgressive figure in popular culture, you're a Basic Bublé Bïtch.

Time to wake up Gaga.

Edit: Evidently acknowledging the well known fact that Bublé is the cultural standard for basic bitches who release adult contemporary records is highly offensive, at least offensive enough to warrant an official warning.

To the Bublé fan who I offended, I would like to apologies. If you PM me your information I will be happy to send you a Starbucks gift card, but only if you redeem it for whatever piece of ****, unimaginative, collection of jazz standards that is currently on sale next to the scones.

AlphaMonster

I believe article has some points. But article leaves terms such as "cool" and "aged" rather unsubstantiated. 

So questions are: 
- What is cool ? 
- Is aged uncool ? 

And considering "aged" is "uncool": 
- What do you lose by becoming "cool" ? (simply an artistic version of opportunity cost) 

First of all, I do not believe that Adele is in the same category with Rihanna and Beyoncé. Her image is more mature and classical compared to expected image of mainstream american pop. 

I think Gaga acts more classical and sophisticated in norms of an average person because her "cool" image received too much negative criticism as mixture of various factors (explaining all would be a topic of whole dissertation). So whatever Gaga does lately, I do not believe that it makes Gaga "uncool" as writer suggests. 

boysboysboys
Just now, SKANK said:

I absolutely agree with that article. The moment you enlist Starbucks to sell your album next to confections and gift cards you are no longer a transgressive figure in popular culture, you're a Basic Bublé Bïtch.

Time to wake up Gaga.

It's probably necessary right before this when she has to show up and be agreeable, but she can do a left-turn now. She has the public's attention, now is the chance to prove that she understands the definition of Pop Music (in her own terms!)

Diamond Heart
2 minutes ago, boysboysboys said:

Does she have to appeal to everyone? Did the Fame Monster era appeal to everyone?

Yes its one of the reasons she was so successful imo lol, she had huge universal appeal with TFM even with her weirdo pop tunes, until she kinda wrecked it with BTW.

"GGD IS NOT FOR YOU" - Admin

shaneybaby

lets just see when she drops her album ;) she's setting herself up as a legend and this next album will be legendary i have no doubts. 

Archived