💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

"Star Spangled Banner" lyrics appreciation

ReidOne

Featured Posts

ReidOne

I'll be honest... I'm a midwestern red-blooded American who has heard the "Star Spangled Banner" incessantly throughout my life. But I've never really bothered to listen to the lyrics until this week, knowing that Gaga is going to sing it. 

And it's a truly brilliant song. The lyrics are truly moving. They are about perseverance, empowerment and overcoming adversity. They are everything Gaga stands for. I truly believe that Gaga never sings a song unless it fits well into the story arc of her entire career. And I can't think of any better gig for her in 2016 than to be singing this song on the world's largest stage. 

I mean ----------- is this not a rallying cry for the Little Monsters as we watch the Phoenix rise from the ARTPOP ashes?!?!! 

Oh, say can you see by the dawn’s early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O’er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

This is by no means an attempt to "reduce" the national anthem to a Gaga anthem, but... in a way... it fits. 

ReidOne

When I say that it's a "rallying cry," notice how the entire song is posed as a question to the listener. 

The subtext of this performance is 100% Gaga singing to us, the Little Monsters... the Liz Taylors... about overcoming all the adversity we've faced. 

Our flag is still there. 

25usda8.jpg

Kermit

ok, what? :duck:

“For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” ― Jean Dubuffet

somnambulist

I get emotional every time I hear someone with a great voice sing it. I dunno if it's a weird subliminal brainwashing because I'm American but I literally get chills and teary eyed when it hits the part- "And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave, O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave"

ReidOne

Keep in mind, this is also the first Super Bowl where the national anthem will be sung after gays have been given the right to marry in every state of the US!! This is seriously such a HUGE moment for us. And Gaga is here to deliver it! 

"...o'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave." 

PunkTheFunk
4 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

Keep in mind, this is also the first Super Bowl where the national anthem will be sung after gays have been given the right to marry in every state of the US!! This is seriously such a HUGE moment for us. And Gaga is here to deliver it! 

"...o'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave." 

Inb4 she sings "home for the gays" like she did at the pride rally and sparks the wrath of conservative America

ReidOne
1 minute ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Inb4 she sings "home for the gays" like she did at the pride rally and sparks the wrath of conservative America

Haha! Only this time she doesn't have to change a word. The subtext is there for all to see. 

ItsTommyBitch
3 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

:giveup:  Queen of Controversy, her true full circle :gaycat: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Ive always though it was one of if not the greatest songs ever written. Nothing is quite as timeless or beautiful. :flutter:

An now my fav will be making her mark on history singing it. :wub:

FATCAT

15 minutes ago, somnambulist said:

I get emotional every time I hear someone with a great voice sing it. I dunno if it's a weird subliminal brainwashing because I'm American but I literally get chills and teary eyed when it hits the part- "And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave, O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave"

Well, it was designed to give you chills, so it's not exactly brain washing. The pledge would be a much better example of us being brainwashed.

Purr more, hiss less.

FATCAT
7 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

She wouldn't just spark a conservative war, she'd upset millions of Americans. I loved her rendition at the LGBT rally, but if she sung the wrong lyrics at the SB, I'd be livid. It's not something she should **** around with on such a national stage. 

Purr more, hiss less.

ReidOne
1 minute ago, FATCAT said:

She wouldn't just spark a conservative war, she'd upset millions of Americans. I loved her rendition at the LGBT rally, but if she sung the wrong lyrics at the SB, I'd be livid. It's not something she should **** around with on such a national stage. 

I agree ---- which is why it's so beautiful that THIS TIME she doesn't have to change a word. The meaning is still there. And we are all living it thanks to the Supreme Court decision last summer. It's beautiful. Honestly, it brings tears to my eyes. 

Archived