Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

The true meaning of ARTPOP was realized at the artRAVE

ReidOne

Featured Posts

ReidOne

1ot44o.jpg

"We could belong together. ARTPOP."

As Gaga has stated many times, the purpose of the ARTPOP album was to inspire her fans to express their creativity. And I believe that the artRAVE was her way of giving us a forum to put that creativity on center stage, right beside her. That is why the see-thru "catwalk" was where the majority of the show took place, and she spent the most of the show out among the fans. The most obvious way this manifested was when she would accept fan art and gifts from the crowd and hold them up on stage. But a less obvious way that this came to life was in the social media moments. Yes... I believe the artRAVE show was designed to be a social media feast for the fans, and a platform for their creations to be seen around the world. 

One of the reasons I so strongly believe this is because of the type of lighting used throughout the show. I take lots of photos and videos at pop concerts, and usually most of them suck because of the bright stage lighting. Instead of using harsh spotlights that drowns the performer on stage (making smartphone photos look terrible and washed out), Gaga used a softer spotlight, coupled with diffused lights that ran along the edges of the catwalk --- resulting in every photo of her from the crowd looking exactly as it did in real life. It also meant that, as fans, we were able to PARTICIPATE in creating the show right along with her. 

I saw the artRAVE 4 times, and at my last show, I took the opportunity to get in on the action. I knew that this show and the staging was an invitation from Gaga to CREATE some moments together. She was putting herself face to face with us and, in essence, becoming a blank canvas for us. 

I took this opportunity to create 2 moments. 

The first, was when she laid on the stage during MANiCURE. Obviously, all the die hard fans know when this moment is coming and know exactly where to position themselves to participate in it. But, I wanted to do something that would make the moment special for both myself and Gaga. So, I brought my Kermit the Frog puppet for the moment. Imagine my delight when she sang right into me and Kermit's eyes!!! And this entire moment was projected on the in-house video screens for the whole arena to see!!! This was one of my favorite moments of my entire life! ... For a few brief seconds, Kermit and I were a PART of the show!! 

l0K7nuy8VDc6qEp20.gif

Full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-TRi2d_yUQ

296hvt.jpg

6jhbo5.jpg

The 2nd moment was a little more personal, but equally as thrilling for me. This was a "rave" after all, so I wanted to capitalize on the trend of bringing a huge face on a stick. At 6' 0" tall, I knew from prior shows that when I reached up, my fingertips could extend above the floor of the catwalk. Which also meant that anything I held would appear to be on-stage right beside her. So naturally, I printed a giant photo of my cat Ruthie's face, put it on a stick, and headed to the show! I didn't get it out very often, so as not to be obnoxious around the other other fans, but I pulled it out twice at just the right moments to create the memory!!! Gaga and Ruthie are dancing together! And I found video and photos on social media from other fans to relive it forever!! 

14uxbg2.jpg

51kkl.jpg

3o7rc3VEvaCsOQN0Dm.gif

My point of this post is not to say "look at me!" ... It is instead to share and leave behind my personal account of what the ARTPOP album and artRAVE shows meant to me. I hope that when Gaga was standing on the stage and looking out to see Kermit the Frog, Ruthie the Cat, and the thousands of other fan creations in front of her, she felt comfort in knowing that ARTPOP had fulfilled its destiny. The project brought out the very best in the creativity of her fans, and we all got to experience it together in those arenas. Some of the most beautiful memories of my entire life. I don't think anyone who attended an artRAVE would ever consider calling ARTPOP a failure. If you were there to witness this outpouring of love and creativity between the artist and her fans, how could you ever think that this project was anything but a massive success? 

The Child

This fanbase is crazy :toofunny:

Crazy in the good sense though, don't take it badly though :laughga:

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

ReidOne
Just now, CrazyMonster said:

This fanbase is crazy :toofunny:

Crazy in the good sense though, don't take it badly though :laughga:

Hahaha!! Yes, crazy indeed! :D:wub:

The Child
1 minute ago, ReidOne said:

Hahaha!! Yes, crazy indeed! :D:wub:

You sure did have a good time the 4 times you went lol

The frog then the cat oh gosh you made me laugh so much :air:

You should have done one with Derpga :laughga:

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

ReidOne
3 minutes ago, CrazyMonster said:

You sure did have a good time the 4 times you went lol

The frog then the cat oh gosh you made me laugh so much :air:

Thanks for saying this... THAT was the point of these moments for me!! Using the opportunity to create laughter and fun!! And celebrating our experience together. 

PartySick
28 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

14uxbg2.jpg

This look gives me life :giveup: also, hi Ruthie! :sara:

I love how inspired everyone was during ARTPOP and the artRAVE. It was truly a magical time :flutter: 

🖤

52 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

If you were there to witness this outpouring of love and creativity between the artist and her fans, how could you ever think that this project was anything but a massive success? 

mmm yeah even not being there I definately feel what you saying. Was watching artrave the paris one it is great made me cry.

Your post reminds me of her little experiment during the original artRave, where she crossed through the audience just to get to the mainstage. ARTPOP has a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people (I'm sure Gaga's interpreted it, like, 5 different ways), but the diffusion between artists and audience is definitely a strong one.

Also, cute cat uwu

3 points in and ready for more

Archived