Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Do you consider Lady Gaga to be the greatest pop act of all time?

ReidOne

Featured Posts

shaneybaby

Its funny to me people could ever consider madonna the greatest pop act. her vocal ability alone don't even put her in the race for me. The GREATEST needs to have vocals that kill it. MJ is still it for me but gaga is up there and working her way higher 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReidOne

OK, OK... I see this quickly spiraling into a, "No, Michael Jackson is the best" thread... which is perfectly appropriate.

But we also have to consider --- MJ lost his DAMN MIND once he reached Gaga's level of fame. Yet, Lady Gaga could not be more even-keeled if Iyanla Vanzant was her personal assistant. I mean, this girl has got it TOGETHER. She has a sane perspective, living in full moderation of everything in her life. That's a huge part of why I love her. She has her **** TOGETHER. Whitney, Michael, Janet, Mariah, Aretha, etc cannot say the same. 

ゼレミ ノヴェリノ

perhaps she's among the greatest female pop act but not overall as in the level of MJ, Prince, The Beatles, and their colleagues(but soon(:green:) she will be one I believe)

Quasi

I would say so yeah. She lives to perform and she gives it her all in every performance she has ever done. She knows how to entertain and she has a beautiful personality to back it all up. I'm not afraid to say that she WILL become an icon remembered for ages to come.

giphy.gif

I don't understand pineapples, so I don't eat bananas.

AlexanderLevi2
1 minute ago, DominicB said:

:air: i'm sorry, i wrote it a completely different way than what i meant. i don't mean for all artist to be under that category, i'm just tired of hearing diss tracks, the constant use of the word *niqqa*, the same old feeling and the emotionless lyrics in the majority of the relevant artists today, probably why i like listening to music from the 60s and 70s.

Again, your opinion ? There was terrible pop music back then and there is terrible pop music now. Maybe it has "worsened" currently, but there are still powerhouse songs to last forever. 

I like to think of the 90s. I was pretty aware of myself towards the end of the 90s and I remember everyone thinking that everything that was popular was bad, worthless, and trashy. Now all I can hear is "Nothing's as good as it was in the 90s." Cartoons, sitcoms, movies, music, and art.

I can't wait in about 20 years to see how people will react to the 10s of the 2000s. We tend to weed everything bad out from those eras and reflect on the greats.

Currently listening to Joanne

PunkTheFunk

I don't know if she's the greatest of all time but she's definitely one of the most versatile pop acts ever. The same woman who bled to death on national television and wore raw meat to the VMA's collaborated with Tony Bennett (and won a Grammy for it!) and sang a critically-acclaimed Sound of Music medley at the Oscar's. She can literally do anything.

Hmm as a 'Pop act' I'm not sure. From the purest sense of Pop as I envision it I think there are arguably better "Pop acts".

As a contemporary example, Katy Perry comes to mind. I'm not really a big fan of Katy personally, but she is undeniably fantastic as a pop star. She has music and videos that appeal to a large range of people (Little kids/Teenagers/Young adults) and has a very marketable image and sound.

Is Katy a great artist? Not in my opinion. Is she a great entertainer? Not in my opinion. But you only need to look at Teenage Dream to find what is arguably the perfect modern Pop album. I'm just not sure if you need to change the musical landscape, be avant-garde, have a fantastic voice or be artistic in order to be a great pop star.

Gaga is quite clearly a pop act and one of the most fascinating and multi-faceted pop acts we have around today. There is no denying that Gaga is a pop star and there is no denying that she is very talented and smart about what she does.

I think she is a great entertainer, a fantastic talent and a culturally significant figure. I'm confident she will be remembered as one of the greats. I don't know if someone like Katy will be seen in this light, she may or may not, but it feels to me that it is something other than just Gaga's place as a "pop act" that makes her significant.

I find Gaga to be the most captivating pop star of my time, but I don't think there is really a clear answer to this question. 

ReidOne
Just now, Bebe said:

Hmm as a 'Pop act' I'm not sure. From the purest sense of Pop as I envision it I think there are arguably better "Pop acts".

As a contemporary example, Katy Perry comes to mind. I'm not really a big fan of Katy personally, but she is undeniably fantastic as a pop star. She has music and videos that appeal to a large range of people (Little kids/Teenagers/Young adults) and has a very marketable image and sound.

Is Katy a great artist? Not in my opinion. Is she a great entertainer? Not in my opinion. But you only need to look at Teenage Dream to find what is arguably the perfect modern Pop album. I'm just not sure if you need to change the musical landscape, be avant-garde, have a fantastic voice or be artistic in order to be a great pop star.

Gaga is quite clearly a pop act and one of the most fascinating and multi-faceted pop acts we have around today. There is no denying that Gaga is a pop star and there is no denying that she is very talented and smart about what she does.

I think she is a great entertainer, a fantastic talent and a culturally significant figure. I'm confident she will be remembered as one of the greats. I don't know if someone like Katy will be seen in this light, she may or may not, but it feels to me that it is something other than just Gaga's place as a "pop act" that makes her significant.

I find Gaga to be the most captivating pop star of my time, but I don't think there is really a clear answer to this question. 

If you are listening to the records simply at face value, I agree! 

But if you listen to the records with an ear toward ACTUAL talent, this is a disgrace! Katy Perry couldn't sing her way out of a tin can! She is a non-contender in this conversation! 

Not at all trying to discredit your opinion, but Katy can't sing, sis. 

AlexanderLevi2
2 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

But if you listen to the records with an ear toward ACTUAL talent, this is a disgrace! Katy Perry couldn't sing her way out of a tin can! She is a non-contender in this conversation! 

Do you consider Britney to be a great pop act? Cause she's worthless when it comes to singing but is a pop icon.

I don't think talent = pop icon.

ReidOne
Just now, AlexanderLevi2 said:

Do you consider Britney to be a great pop act? Cause she's worthless when it comes to singing but is a pop icon.

I don't think talent = pop icon.

I do not consider Britney to be a great anything --- except a great marketer. And yes, I was there in the high dollar seats for the 'Britney' tour 2002 and bought every album until 'Britney Jean.' Love her brand of pop, but its marketing, not music (unless Max Martin is involved). 

3 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

So? :toofunny:

I'm not a fan of Katy, but I really don't think "talent" or singing ability is necessarily a huge factor in what makes a Pop star.

ReidOne
Just now, Bebe said:

I really don't think "talent" or singing ability is necessarily a huge factor in what makes a Pop star.

Oh, friend... I do!!! Look up the greats... they became "pop acts" BECAUSE of their singing ability! This is what it's all about! 

AlexanderLevi2
2 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

I do not consider Britney to be a great anything --- except a great marketer. And yes, I was there in the high dollar seats for the 'Britney' tour 2002 and bought every album until 'Britney Jean.' Love her brand of pop, but its marketing, not music (unless Max Martin is involved). 

Then what is pop music?

ReidOne

Before this thread goes any further, thank you all for engaging in the conversation! This thread was not (and is not) intended to be a battle of intellect or proving points or shading each other... Simply a discussion of the question, "Does Gaga deserve to stand among the greats?" ... And I appreciate each of you taking part. It's all love! I enjoy a good debate! :D

Archived